Buck Knife Model 110 Dating Question ???

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
whitman75

Buck Knife Model 110 Dating Question ???

Post by whitman75 »

Hi there so the dating system of the Buck has me a bit confused. I have from what I know my uncles older Buck 110 folding knife with the original leather sheath. But I'm confused because its a Buck 110 C USA on the tang. The C would date it according to the symbols to 1995??? The knife is for sure older than that could you please help me with this. Thanks
Attachments
buck.jpg
buck2.jpg
whitman75

Re: Buck Knife Model 110 Dating Question ???

Post by whitman75 »

Anyone Help me out on this ??? I'm confused ...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The knife exhibits early features (60's - 70's) but the blade is marked 1995. I would guess it has been back to Buck for a blade replacement. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just looking at the 110 picture and the blade seems mighty short or is an optical illusion? If the blade is short and it is a replacement, it would be neat to know what your uncle did for a living or a least how he used the knife. Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I am certainly not the expert in this model, but I hang out with the 110 guys so much I have my own opinion.

This is a 1995 blade, in a early 70s handle. The sheath button also indicates a more modern era sheath than the handle would indicate. Original likely just said BUCK across the middle one time.

I think your original handle has been back to Buck for a re-blade, not necessarily in 95 but on or a year or so after, it must have come home with a new sheath of the time also.

300Bucks
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, Buck uses the blades from the year they re-bladed a knife, I think it's just a 1995 re-blade on a older two pin knife. George God bless
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, if your butt spacer is brass it's a version 4 frame, SS it's a 5th version , it's a 1970 - 1974 frame, the blade is 1995,I think the blade is 420HC now not, the 440C that it came new with, it's a $10.00 job from Buck, it's to bad they can't put a blade that matches the frame, but there would a bunch of almost new old knives. George God bless

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”