317 Yellow folding hunter opinions please

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
sidog

317 Yellow folding hunter opinions please

Post by sidog »

I picked this knife up acouple of days ago and I've never seen one in Yellow.Any opinions would be great.Thanks in advance for Your help
Attachments
yellowbuck 002.JPG
300Bucks

Re: 317 Yellow folding hunter opinions please

Post by 300Bucks »

Interesting......What do you think scale material is ? Does not look uniform like the old Delrin plastic would. Is it some other material that would show variations normally ? Are there any gaps in the spaces it contacts the bolsters or liners ? The scale shield appears slightly inset into the scale is that the case ? The rivets are either dark or possibly inset into the scale ? Are the brass for certain, heads flat or rounded. They are larger than the few earliest black delrin scale 317s from Camillus factory.

If you get a mag glass and give it a look for some of that we may can declare factory or custom.

I have never seen a yellow scaled 317 from factory. You do know that Buck contracted all of these from Camillus, and to my knowledge were black delrin unless something odd happened or it was customized by special order or scales replaced by private hands.

300Bucks
sidog

Post by sidog »

It appears to be delrin thats worn slick but not positive.My Dads 75 and has a black delrin stockman that is worn slick with no sawcut pattern left on it.The shield is not inset it pertrudes slightly and the brass seems to be rounded and slightly raised.The pins are inset a and the scales fit the bolsters pretty good with little shrinkage but they spread away from the liner on the tang end which makes them stick up above the bolster maybe 10 thousandths of an inch.If its rehandled they did a pretty good job but Im aware that its a good possibility.Thanks 300Bucks,Sidog
Attachments
yellowbuck 006.JPG
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I will go with a re-scale of some type. Smooth delrin, shield sticking up and rivets inset into scale material lead me to say a scale replacement. If factory, will be a custom run of some type, but as I said I have never seen a yellow factory scale....but I have never been to the middle of nowhere yet either......300
sidog

Post by sidog »

Thanks 300Bucks!I've got a whole 40 bucks in it so I wont cry over it long.Sidog
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I would also consider this a good knife to own.......300
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I agree with both of you guys; regardless of how that 317 acquired it's yellow handles it is a very desirable knife to own - and $40.00 is on the low side for a very good condition 317.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”