Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
jmh58

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by jmh58 »

Picked up a black 301 today.. NIB current production!! Likin it so far but time will tell!! ::tu:: Beefy blades for sure!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here is the newest addition to my Buck family. Why? Because I'm an addict and need an intervention. That being said this is a 1999 Buck #331 Granddaddy Barlow in Jigged Bone, NIB, an SFO made by Camillus for SMKW. This is just the first to arrive, other Buck "rarities" are coming soon; stay tuned.
Attachments
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

That's a fine looking knife Baykeep ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

garddogg56 wrote:That's a fine looking knife Baykeep ::tu::
Thank you GD, all I can say is it was a long time comin', it's the jewel in my collecting crown, (at least until next week). Stay tuned for whats next!
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here are a couple more. Buck #334 Millennium Trapper in Jigged Bone, a Limited Edition with serial number 0082, and a #333 California Toothpick in Stagalon. Both of these are SFO's, special factory orders. I think this photo of the toothpick is one of the first, if not THE first photo of a #333 on this forum, (at least I can't find another anywhere). The arrival of these two knives completes a quest to obtain one of each of the 300 Series special order knives, needless to say I am very very pleased!!

::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW you are now Mr 300 congrats ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::not_worthy::
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

garddogg56 wrote:WOW you are now Mr 300 congrats ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::not_worthy::
Thanks, the congratulations should also go to 300bucks and bertl who taught me all they know and encouraged me the whole way, couldn't have done it without them.
I am just agog with that big trapper, what a cool piece of industrial art.
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Congrats Baykeeper, your ability to stay focused is commendable great job.

Monte
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

montemojo wrote:Congrats Baykeeper, your ability to stay focused is commendable great job.

Monte
Thank you. I went momentarily off course at Christmas and gifted myself with a nice Case Seahorse, but other than that I have focused on the Buck 300's. I now have all the model numbers, at least all of the US-made models. I guess now I can get a start finding some of the varied "exotic" handle colors & materials. I also need to come up with a cool display case.
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Yes a display would be great. I have 2 , one schrade and one Boker. I haven't filled the Boker. Both derail me from my goals. They are alot of fun filling them. I also have my eye on another schrade floor model. If you wait long enough I am sure one will find you ::nod::

Monte
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Outstanding Baykeeper, wonderful collection! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:Outstanding Baykeeper, wonderful collection! OH
Thanks so much OH, first time I've had a complete collection of anything. I've had lots of other "hobbies" but this Buck 300 thing has become something else. Now I think I'll concentrate on the '86-2000 era knives of the series, after in-house production began and before they changed the blade grind. I actually think I like the pre 2000 grind and the build quality more than contemporary models. At this point you could have knives with three distinctly different blade grinds but the same model number, that might be an interesting future collection goal.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have to say I agree with you. I love my old Camillus era 300 series, but the early Buck-made (two spring, flat grind) and middle era Buck-made with three springs but flat grinds are great knives. My hands down favorite would be this three spring, flat grind - all blades are straight, no krinking, with smooth, smooth action. Keep on trucking! (remember that slogan??) OH
Attachments
Buck 303 X Cadet - 1990.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:I have to say I agree with you. I love my old Camillus era 300 series, but the early Buck-made (two spring, flat grind) and middle era Buck-made with three springs but flat grinds are great knives. My hands down favorite would be this three spring, flat grind - all blades are straight, no krinking, with smooth, smooth action. Keep on trucking! (remember that slogan??) OH
Very cool, I just gave a 1993 #303 just like that one to my daughter, (born in '93), it was one of the best pocket knives I ever owned as far as build quality. I wanted her to have it to commemorate her birth year, but I must admit I miss it already, guess I'll just have to find another one!
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

It's not my fault, I tried to warn him. But, would he listen..... ::groove::

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:It's not my fault, I tried to warn him. But, would he listen..... ::groove::

Ha!! You are exactly right, you DID warn me!! I admit it's all my fault, at least that's what my mother used to tell me, so I may as well fess up. Thanks again, I always do exactly what I'm told not to do, and so glad I did it again this time!!
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

::ds::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Picked this one up today at a local "indoor garage sale" at the local fairgrounds. Needs a couple of batteries(2032 button cells)to make the flashlight function again which will probably cost me more than I paid for the knife($5).Couldn't find a listing for one of these;is it a discontinued model? Buck 777T.
Attachments
BuckWhittaker777T-$5. 001.jpg
BuckWhittaker777T-$5. 002.jpg
BuckWhittaker777T-$5. 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Just catching up on some Buck's I've added in the last month. Two 300 series pocketknives from the late Camillus era at Buck and a 1972 built 103 Skinner that came in Friday's mail. OH
Attachments
Buck 301 by Camillus - model # on front tang (2).JPG
Buck 313 Muskrat (V2b - NOS).JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

Just got these two Buck 301 Stockman knives in the mail today. I wanted the 301 Black Valox as a backup for my 301 Black Valox made in 1993, and the Rosewood Dymondwood version for dress.

Both are outstanding quality. What a great product.
Buck 301s.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

MAN 63rd ya hit the jackpot with those two ::tu:: ::tu::OH ya been shopping again great score love the 103 ::nod::
63rdOVI

Post by 63rdOVI »

garddogg56 wrote:MAN 63rd ya hit the jackpot with those two ::tu:: ::tu::OH ya been shopping again great score love the 103 ::nod::
Yes, thanks! They are some nice knives. Took the rosewood out tonight to a meeting with some friends...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

63rdOVI wrote:Just got these two Buck 301 Stockman knives in the mail today. I wanted the 301 Black Valox as a backup for my 301 Black Valox made in 1993, and the Rosewood Dymondwood version for dress.

Both are outstanding quality. What a great product.

Buck 301s.jpg
Hard to go wrong with a Buck Stockman - nice knives! OH
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Latest finds. 1988 #301 Stockman in Yellow Sawcut Delrin, (Buck-build), & '72-'86 #315 Yachtsman NIB w/papers, (Camillus-build). Why? The #301 to honor the birth year of a recently lost stepson, the #315 because I didn't have that version, (bolsterless), in my collection yet, (plus it came with that perfectly pristine box & papers). Though 28-40 years old both are in perfect unused condition.
Attachments
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Baykeeper, I like the rigging knife. I have a similar knife that's a Kabar. I used it alot when I was building power lines. Here is my latest. A 112 with nickle silver bolsters. I am planning to modify by adding the Damascus blade and some fancy handles. I haven't figured what would look best yet. Add a cross draw sheath and edc this one. Anyone have any ideas on what handle material would look good with the Damascus blade?
20170421_174023.jpg
Thanks Monte

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”