My first Buck in 37 years

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
augustus88

My first Buck in 37 years

Post by augustus88 »

Back in the mid 70's I bought my father a Buck 110 for his birthday. Unfortunately, I was never very fond of that Buck in spite of all the hard use we put it through. The handle had sharp edges and felt unfinished. The wood soaked up water and fish goo easily. The bolsters were flat with no rounded edges and were sharp on the hand and pocket. It almost felt like the knife was never finished completely. We used it as a fishing knife for a few years until my dad gave it to his brother while visiting his family in Cuba in 1979. Needless to say my uncle was thrilled to have a quality USA made knife. My dad and uncle have since passed away and I sure wish I had that old 110 back.

I was never impressed with the feel of the 110, so I avoided Buck all of these years until now. I Just purchased my first Buck knife in 37 years. Actually my first ever for personal use. I'm VERY impressed with the quality and value of my new #112 Ranger. Perhaps a #110 and #55 are in my future.

• No wobble in the blade.
• No gaps between scales, bolsters and liners.
• Blade is shaving sharp and centered with no rub marks.
• Bolsters and wood are smooth and rounded.
• Made in the USA
• $34 shipped
• This thing is a little TANK!

Old Hunter

Re: My first Buck in 37 years

Post by Old Hunter »

...and they finally learned to put a little curved/soft edge on those hard-edged bolsters! Know what you mean, bought my first Buck 110 a couple of months ago - I never did in the old days due to the sharp edges on the grip and bolsters. Nice knife you have there!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

And the cycle of life is enhanced!

Enjoy! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
gino

Post by gino »

The 112's are cool and you will like the 55 also, I really like mine. ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Yeah, Buck owns the lockback world. ::nod::
They really know how to put them together, especially that ol' 110 knife. :wink:

The 55 is a great little knife, super slim for pocket carry and it perfect for suit pants or slacks. I used mine for small game and such, but I never connected with the extreme clip point and it is extreme. 8)
I ended up with a 501 Squire and it's a much better knife for my needs, I've enjoyed it on many hunts and just as a good use pocket knife.

augustus88

Post by augustus88 »

Nice looking 501 johnny! I seriously considered the 500 series knives, but I prefer a clip blade(even an extreme clip).

Gave the 112 some yard work use this morning. The 420HC seems to be holding an edge pretty well. Think I'm going to buy a 2nd one to customize with some file work and Green Canvas Micarta scales with red or white spacers. I've been wanting to do that to a GEC #23 Pioneer for a while, but I don't want to risk killing a $100 knife. I'm pretty confident in my skills, but a $34 knife is easier to tear apart without fear of trashing it.
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

If I may ask, where did you get that 112 for $34 shipped? Seems like a great price.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”