Your 110.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
nutoknives

Re: Your 110.

Post by nutoknives »

Very nice 110's everyone these are becoming one of my favorite and I quess alot of other people, read somewhere they have sold over 10 million+, shows a true veteran as people would not buy if not a good product. Here are a couple more before they go for the spa treatment, These are a couple of mint in box 2 liner's 1 with no pins extremly rare, 1 with 2 pins both from late 60's, Thanks for sharing hope you enjoy
Attachments
bucks and friends 062.JPG
bucks and friends 064.JPG
bucks and friends 066.JPG
bucks and friends 067.JPG
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I have to say I have only seen a single pin 110 in books.
Very nice nuto ::tu::
wazu013
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

:( It twas a sad day yesterday :x I broke the 110\ on my buddies buck while splitting the pelvic bone ::tear:: that kind of fool goes hunting with just a small Canal st jack ::teary_eyes::the back spring won't reset ::doh::
Attachments
dscn1089.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sent the 110 into Buck, they will fix it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

You bet Dale I heard there service dept is the best ::tu:: this is the first Buck I ever broke.On my two dot 112 I had to replace the sheath three times and once on the 110 sheath.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I started out two times over the years to buy a Buck 110, but got side tracked both times. The first time out was in the fall of 1976, went with a buddy to the PX at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD to buy a 110; he bought a 110, I ended up with a 105 (still have it). The second time was in the early 1980's, went to a local gunshop to buy a Buck 110; the shop had recently become a Gerber dealer and I bought a Gerber Sportsman II. Last month I stopped at a pawn & gun in Benson NC, saw a Buck 110 that I liked and didn't look at another thing in the store until I paid for my new 110 (finally!)
Ps Gone is the stout leather case of yesteryear, in its place they furnish a flimsy nylon, Chinese made case.

Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Old Hunter wrote:I started out two times over the years to buy a Buck 110, but got side tracked both times. The first time out was in the fall of 1976, went with a buddy to the PX at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD to buy a 110; he bought a 110, I ended up with a 105 (still have it). The second time was in the early 1980's, went to a local gunshop to buy a Buck 110; the shop had recently become a Gerber dealer and I bought a Gerber Sportsman II. Last month I stopped at a pawn & gun in Benson NC, saw a Buck 110 that I liked and didn't look at another thing in the store until I paid for my new 110 (finally!)
Ps Gone is the stout leather case of yesteryear, in its place they furnish a flimsy nylon, Chinese made case.

Thats cool 8) they still do the leather cases i think most made in mexico . ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
mtds

Here's one I've since about 1970:

Post by mtds »

Here's a 110 I bought when I was in the Marines. I think it was the last year I was in, 1970. Thanks to Dale's post "Updated 110 Data Sheet" I think it is a 3rd Version, Variation 8. I'm amazed at the thoroughness of the research available on this knife! Thanks to all of you who contributed to gathering and publishing the information.
Attachments
Buck 110 a.jpg
Buck 110 c.jpg
Buck 110 d.jpg
Buck 110 d.jpg (37.18 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
Buck 110 e.jpg
Buck 110 i.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

mtds;I truely get lost in all the versions ,looks to be early 70's I'm sure someone with great Buck knowledge will let ya know ::nod:: All I know they are great work knives I've had a 112 for 37yrs TOUGH knife.I have only broken one Buck and it was deerseason this year and was a 110\ she'll be going back to mother Buck for repair.
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

Since we're sharing...

I got mine somewhere around 1978 as a kid. Ordered it from Herter's catalog, which was for many years my going to bed reading.

I have a complicated relationship with this knife. It is easily the prettiest and most moving knife I own. But in practical terms, it's too heavy for backpacking, I find the dramatic clip point blade doesn't work for me for many uses and it's really to big for EDC use in my very suburban life. I think Santa is bringing me a 500 this year!!

Still, I love this knife. This past year, I decided I was probably going to keep it - conclusion that only took 30-some years. So, since it sat unused most days, I took the files to the bolsters and softened them. I know pocket carry the fool thing a couple of days a month, just for the heck of it. Rarely goes to the office though. Still too much blade to introduce when somebody needs to cut open a USB drive from its plastic wrap!

Dave "Pinnah" Mann, Bahston, MA
Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dave, I like the softened bolsters. I said in my post above that I started out to buy a 110 twice over the years before I finally bought one a month or so ago. It was the hard edges (boxy look) that always had me nearly buy one, but back off and buy something else. I was pleased to see that sometime in the past Buck decided to roll them a little at the factory, as the one I finally bought (2005 production) has slightly rolled edges - a big improvement from Buck in my opinion.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Dave, thanks for sharing your 110. 8)
I know what you mean about the weight, for pocket travel it is a beast, but other wise, as a belt knife I like it. I have used mine for hunting, but since then have semi-retired it. A 110 is a true piece of American history, I couldn't see not having one. I like the job you did on the bolsters, I imagine that would change the profile for the pocket nicely. ::tu::

Good luck with the 500. ::nod::
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

Old Hunter, thanks for the kind words regarding the bolsters. I need to do some evening out in a couple of places, but the brass works easily enough. I''ll try to put up some pictures this weekend that show the softening better than that basic side shot. The knife still imprints a bit when pocket carried, but no where near like it did. Really made the knife pocketable for the first time.

Johnny, the 110 is just perfect for belt holster carry. But, I just hate anything on my belt, including cell phones. My work day typically means way too much car travel and I dislike having anything on my belt in that situation (bucket seats).

When I'm in the woods (backpacking, backcountry skiing, hunting) I almost always have a pack of some sort cinched up around my waist, so belt holster are flat out. When I'm in the woods I also generally have a big CF knee brace on (product of a misspent youth) and I've found that a heavy knife in my pocket creates an annoying clunk, clunk, clunk when I walk. I'd move the knife to my LFP, but that's where the altimeter rides.

For EDC use, my issue isn't the weight - I can easily deal with that in my pocket. It's really the blade shape. Try as I might, I've never taken to the extreme clip as an EDC shape. But after all, it's a hunting knife first and foremost, not a camping knife and not a utility knife and not an EDC knife. I get that and am at peace with that.

Here's a picture from another person from another forum that creates massive blade lust for me. Apparently this was done for the Buck Collectors Club. It's a 110 with a 486 blade. (An idea for next year's forum knife?)

IMO, that is just stunning. I'm amazed an interested how people around me react to knives. My Opinel, which isn't much smaller than the 110 in blade length is a non-issue when it's deployed. The 110 deployed is an event - as in an "incident report" type of event. I think it's the clip blade. What do I care? I'm carrying my 110 today and used it to pop of the plastic packaging for some reading glasses here in the middle of the Panera where I'm working this am. Soccer moms on alert.

Last thing... I totally agree that the 110 is really *THE* iconic American folder. It's really something akin to the Chevy small block or Harley engine as being the basis for the most and wildest forms of hot rodded modifications. When you see multiple threads in multiple forums of customized, modified and totally tricked out 110s, you know something really important culturally happened with that knife. I just can't imagine not owning one.
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

After several years of knife obsession, four of them online, I have finally got my first Buck and it's my most impressive folder
yet. There are countless better pictures of 110s but this one is MINE, ALL MINE.
Steel spacer, 2011 tang mark, impeccible fit and finish, beautiful message of welcome from Mr. Buck which I take seriously
and not just as marketing hype.
All things considered, I think I've hit the ceiling on knives here.
Now to search the forum for the most effective way of keeping that shine without leaving it in the box.(don't mind the picture, it glitters like gold)
Attachments
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Very nice Edge ::tu:: If your a user you WILL be hooked ::nod::
pinnah

Post by pinnah »

Edge, good on you!!!

I remember reading the flyer I got with mine in 78 and thinking the same thing. He means it.

There's something unexplainable about the 110. Love that shine!!!
sedona

Post by sedona »

I have a 110 i bought in 1974.Never sharpened or carried it.I have another that i do use pretty often.
big monk

Post by big monk »

First is a 1989 with finger grips handle and brown sheath**** the next one is a 2010 model,with black sheath :)
Attachments
1989 Buck #110 with Brown Sheath.JPG
2010 Buck #110 with black sheath.JPG
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Ah, now this is more like it.....and thanks to Paul from Dorset in the UK who mentioned that Buck leather cases were still available when I was griping about the flimsy nylon pouch that came in my 2005 "tin box" collectors edition. I was in SMKW a month ago and asked if they had the black leather case by itself for sell - they had an entire bin of them, this one is now mine.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I love the classic design and utility of the 110s. Pictured are a 2005 USA made with sheath, a 2003 with pearled and scorpion engraved handles limited edition #33 of 100 and a Brian Yellowhorse #204 of 250 with some of the sweetest handles I have ever seen.
Attachments
P1240185.jpg
P1240187.jpg
P1240201.jpg
P1240203.jpg
P1240199.jpg
P1240189.jpg
P1240188.jpg
P1240191.jpg
P1240194.jpg
P1240204.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: WOW Beautiful ::nod::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks gard! ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
big monk

Post by big monk »

The Buck 110 is a knife that is used by many to ""customize""___a couple done by,Redrummd1 (ArtinStone)
http://stores.ebay.com/ArtInStone?_rdc=1
Attachments
Buck 110      LLanite.jpg
Buck 110 Morrisonite.jpg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Wow you guys are killing me ::tu:: When I retire I'm going to send my 112 which is the first work-knife I bought in to mother Buck to be custonized to the hilt . ::sotb::
Attachments
100_0814.jpg
100_0595.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sweet knives guys! ::tu::

Keep them coming. ::nod::

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”