A 112 three dot for scrutiny qnd dating

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

A 112 three dot for scrutiny qnd dating

Post by Mossdancer »

I just found it this past weekend, probably paid to much but it appeared to be a pretty good example.
If in fact the nail nick appeared in 1983 this then precedes that. When the bushing was placed making the third dot necessary has not been discussed that I can find. The 112's never had four dots like the 110 though the mods did supposedly follow between the two. Anyone who would like to chime in is more than welcome Joe when you show up feel free to straighten all of us out.
I nearly forgot I also got this Washita Stone.
moss
Attachments
img910.jpg
img910c.jpg
img910c.jpg (21.3 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
img910c1.jpg
img910c2.jpg
img911.jpg
img912.jpg
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A 112 three dot for scrutiny qnd dating

Post by orvet »

Nice find Moss! ::tu::
I like the size of the 112.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Joe Houser

Post by Joe Houser »

Moss,
Its been a while since I did the 112 data sheet and it probably needs to be updated. But the sheet says that your 112 is a Version 6, Variation 1. The very next Variation has the nail notch.
It also lists a Version 7, with only 1 Variation, that is a 4 dot. It can be found with both hand radiused handles and sintered radiuses. (I'll probably break that into 2 Variations when I revisit the data sheet)
I hope this helps.
Joe Houser
Buck Knives Inc.
Company historian
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi Joe:
I would then guesstimate that info would put the knife in 1982 or shortly before. Thanks as always for your help.
moss

Edit for additional question: I take from what you say then that there were in reality four dot 112's? After thinking about it for awhile I think a collection of all 110 and 112's from inception to the start in 86 of modern marking system would really be a collection to strive for. Here is a question regarding that. How many knives would that be?
moss
Joe Houser

Post by Joe Houser »

Moss,
The timeframe on your 112 sounds close, might be a year or 2 earlier.
I can say that you will be looking for close to 30 different 110's and about 13 model 112's to complete a set of both from their introductions to 1986.
Contrary to popular belief, the 110 was introduced in 1964 and the 112 did not come out until 1972. The earlier Levine's Guides have the 112 coming out in 1969 and Buck even did a limited edition on the 112 celebrating its "25th anniversary, 1963-1988". ::dang:: <--this was way before I was the company historian though. :wink:
Joe Houser
Buck Knives Inc.
Company historian
jb4570

Post by jb4570 »

Hi Mossy,

Here is a photo of one of the two 4 dot 112's in my collection. Both of the 4 dot 112's are LE's from 1984, the rattler & White water canoeing.

make sure you open the pic to 100% (click once to open, then click it again)
Ride Hard, Shoot Straight, and Cut Like a Surgeon
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

jb4570
Those are really nice knives. That 500 is primo. Thanks for the photo showing the four dots.
moss
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I just picked up a version 6 variation 1 like the one Moss posted at the beginning of this thread.

Does anyone know the year/s those were made?

Joe,
Have you had a chance to update the 112 date chart yet?

Thanks,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

Interesting..!
I've always liked the 112 and I think I prefer the size and balance of the 112 over the 110.
My old and trusty 112 user is the one with finger grooves (112FG). When did they start making those..?
I purchased mine some time in the middle of the eighties - if I remember correctly.
Knivlaus mann er livlaus mann.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Arriving late in day and maybe at end of discussion. But, here is fast and dirty photo relevant to previous posts. 300Bucks
Attachments
top down, oldest to newest, I said it was fast there's still polish on one scale....
top down, oldest to newest, I said it was fast there's still polish on one scale....
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Now I'm confused.

My blade is marked
BUCK
U.S.A.

I have a 112 with no dots, no nail nick, and only three pins in the wood.......... One for the spring ( steel ) and two small brass pins for the scales.

The rear bolsters are secured with 2 pins. I'll get a picture up Sunday.
Edit:
Here's some pics.

Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
useem

Post by useem »

That one is even older than the first one pictured in 300bucks photo. There are some that have 5 pins, came out right after yours. How's that for adding to the confusion? ::nod::
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey wullie must be close to 1972. If you gave the first two years to the synthetic handle and figured 74 till 78 when the first dot was added I figure you could say yours was a Christmas 76 knife and be within two years. Pretty close in knife years. Let see that would make me being bory in 80 70 60 50 yep 40 something. It sucks to have lived in eight decades. Told my youngest grandson that if he takes care and lives good he has a shot at living in Three centuries. 1997
moss

Joe Houser said the 112 did not come out until 1972.
useem

Post by useem »

Here is a first version 112 for your viewing pleasure.
Attachments
BUCK 112 Micarta 001.JPG
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Useem:
Nice knife.
moss
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Ya reckon the good folks at Buck thought when they made those and the 110's in the beginning that there'd be this kind of confusion as to what was when? ::dang::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Since thread is bumped and someone might of thought when I said oldest to newest in previous photo I was talking about Version I down. Here is real Version 1 down, except alas I have no Version 2 var. 1. Always looking......
Version 1 , missing 2 var 1, Version 2 var. 2, Version 3 Segua scale, Version 4 Ebony scale. Edited and added next four below others. Version 5 Var. 1 . V 5 variation 2 note 4 rivets, V 5 variation 3 and V 5 variation 4 with 3 bigger rivets. If you hold them up side by side you can see the rivets are bigger.

300Bucks
Attachments
112Begin2.jpg
112middle.jpg
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Near as I can tell from those pics, mine appears to be either a Version 4 or Version 5 var 1. :roll:

Was the Version 3 ever made with ebony? The rivets on mine are sunk like your version 3 but the scales are definitely ebony.

What years were these made?

Thanks,
W
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

You've seen my whole collection. was just a sideline to the 300s.
Will have to dig for dates. Vers 3 and 4 are alike, one is Segua and one Ebony.
300Bucks
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, I'm probably late with this posting, I always thought that the third dot was added because of the bushing, but I read where someone broke down some two dot 110's, he wrote that he found two different types of materal, used in the blade bushings, now I think that maybe the third dot was used because of the new rocker material, I wish I could remember where I read it, I'll find it again in time. George God bless

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”