New here. Looking for a "do-it-all" whittler knife.

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Big Barn

Re: New here. Looking for a "do-it-all" whittler knife.

Post by Big Barn »

I realize it's been three weeks & you porbably made your choice in a whittling knife. Here is a picture of the Flex Cut folding 2 blade 'Whittlin Jack' (in the middle) comparing it to standard size fixed blade carving knives. The topknife is a Flex Cut forged blade (my go-to knife) & the bottom is a detail pelican blade
Attachments
Whittlin-Jack1.jpg
ziggy925

Post by ziggy925 »

Thanks for the advice and photos. I did pick up a couple of folding knives, which is more of what I was looking for, but those carving knives are beautiful and one can't have too many knives. :lol:
redferd

Post by redferd »

This Rough Rider Barlow style seems fine to whittle with. The ss blades stay sharp. Not too expensive online. The Case Barlow is good too with the chrome vanadium steel. Of course it costs a lot more than the RR. Both were birthday gifts and much appreciated.
Attachments
RR Barlow PICS1 037.jpg
JIM'S B D PICS1 065.jpg
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Big Barn wrote:
ziggy925 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. As I said, I have some bass wood on the way and a beginner book but no knife so far. I have taken everything said and shown here into account, and I have a much better idea of what a whittling knife not only looks like but why it has the blades it does. There are a lot of three/four blade knives on the net, but I think I need to hold it in my hand. I really like that un-X-ld in the photo. Sweet.

I'll let you know what I wind up with and keep you posted on any projects. I saw a video of a guy with a really long chain he made from a 2x4. It would be kinda cool to have one lying around and have friends say, "You made that?"

It would be even cooler to give friends hand-made ornaments this Christmas.
Something like this?
Now that is a nice chain.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
baliblaster

Post by baliblaster »

Does anyone here use a swiss army grafter knife for whittling? I bought one a couple of years ago and have since lost it.I picked up another one and got it today.An hour or so later i purchased another one in case i lose this one.Amazon has them for 21.95 shipped. They are awesome if you whittle towards you like i do,they are chisel ground but don't work very good for whittling away from you.
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

The greatest whittler I have ever owned is a Canitler. Lot's of COM make them but CSC make some really nice ones that can be got for around $150.00 bucks. Their is no better whittler out. My second pic and one of my all-time favorite knives is a Camillus 72 which is a bit smaller and fits your pocket without you even knowing it is there.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”