British and Commonwealth Military Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Owd Wullie

Re: British and Commonwealth Military Knives

Post by Owd Wullie »

Hello Jean-Jacques

Those are some very nice knives. Thanks for showing them.

As for the I*XL that you found on the battlefield, what battlefield was it?

Salud!
Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Great looking knives Gigi62. The original 6353 spec was for stag handle. It was replaced in 1913 with chequered horn. The pattern was in use until 1939. Does your knife have the broad arrow indicating official government issue? The other two are likely pre 1941 as they have a copper shackel which was phased out in favour of the steel shackel about that time. Thanks for posting your knives :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Gigi62

Post by Gigi62 »

Hello Friends,

Thanks for your answers.
It is near Vimy that I found my first knife.
The patterns 6353, the Wade and Butcher has the broad arrow.
The country where I live was the théatre of big battles during ww1 (Artois, Somme, Yser). Many British troops were engaged.
And during ww2, under the German occupation, we had the secret weapons.
i show you other knives, and you can see these sites.

WW1:
http://www.historial.org/
http://www.carriere-wellington.com/
http://www.museedelaguerre.ca/cwm/exhib ... ex_f.shtml

WW2:
http://www.leblockhaus.com/modulosite2/ ... calais.htm
http://www.linternaute.com/musee/diapor ... nes/55663/
http://www.linternaute.com/musee/diapor ... nes/55663/

And recently, I found the grave of the small son of the great Sitting Bull, at 20km ago.
http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net/pa ... t_80_1.htm

Goodbye.
Attachments
HarrisonHowson.jpg
HarrisonHowson.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 13038 times
Venture1940.jpg
Venture1940.jpg (29.81 KiB) Viewed 13041 times
W&SB1940.jpg
W&SB1940.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 13040 times
Jean-Jacques
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

You're welcome. The last knife you posted (W & S Butcher) must be 1945 or later as that is when the bottle opener was added to the can opener attachment. Maybe it is 1946? :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Gigi62

Post by Gigi62 »

Hi,

I think you 're right for the last knife (W & S Butcher ).
It's post ww2 and at the same period that these 2 knives of the Belgian Army (1948/1950 Corean war)

Attachments
A.B.L (Armée Belge Léger)<br />Colasse 1951
A.B.L (Armée Belge Léger)
Colasse 1951
abl.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 13024 times
Colin Winand 1952
Colin Winand 1952
colin.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 13023 times
Jean-Jacques
jntroisi

Post by jntroisi »

Just out of curiosity, what are the black scale ones worth. My dad had one and I think it probably got thrown out during thier last move. I'm guessing it was part of a set along with the WWI rifle....which he gave to the Ontario police when we had to register all rifles and shotguns in Canada. He only kept what he thought to be the most valuable guns. F me!
smiling-knife wrote:The basic army-issue clasp knife with marline spike and tin opener in the first part of the 1900s was the pattern 6353/1905. It first appeared in 1905 and remained basically the same until the start of WWII. The original spec comprised of stag scales. The first knife in pic 1 is an example made by Hunter Sheffield and marked with the Broad Arrow and I for use by troops in India.

Just before WWI, in 1913, the specs were updated. The scales were changed from stag to chequered horn. The three attachments to be made of the best 'cast steel'. The overall length closed is 4 7/8 inches with the spear blade 3 1/2 inches from kick to point. The shackle made from number 11 guage copper wire. These were the basic GI folder in WWI. Two typical examples seen in pic 1 made by Jos Rodgers & Sons and Frank Mills. Both marked with W arrow D; the War Department mark.

Next are three examples of circa WW1 knives for use by Canadian Forces. The first is the typical British 6353 knife made by Wostenholm, but marked on the spike with the Canadian broad arrow inside a C. The middle knife is the same basic spec made by Thomas Turner & Co but with metal scales. The handle is marked with M & D for Militia and Defense 1915. The last knife in the photo was made for the Canadian forces by Schatt & Morgan of Titusville PA. Beautiful bone scales on the this one and a nail nick on the can opener is different from the Sheffield-made knives.

While not an official issue knife, the jack knives with tin opener and bone scales were included in gift boxes sent to the troops during WWI. This example was made by Wade and Butcher.

Please feel free to add knives, cooments or questions. Thanks for looking. :D s-k
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short. None the less, if these British Military issue knives are anything like the Fairbairn Sykes British Commando knives (and I think it's safe to assume they are) the Broad Arrow mark is the MoD (Ministry of Defense) acceptance mark and the number 4 mentioned earlier was the number assigned to that particular inspector. Rest assured most governments don't purchase anything without sticking that inspection step into the process. Gotta make sure they're not getting screwed by the vendor even though sometimes they get screwed anyway. :)

Go back near the beginning of this thread, to the picture of those squids sticking knives near their 'sleeping' shipmate. If you have Internet Explorer Ver. 7 or later, zoom on the picture, then increase the magnification of IE to 400%. That is a double blade pocket knife sticking over his right shoulder and there's one of those big chef's knives sticking next to his left ear. Whoa momma!!
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

:( Lots of great pictures and information, but I am saddened to see that there seems to be no activity here since last December? Is this a dead thread? Or has everyone emigrated somewhere else? A Canadian newbie looking for information ::tear::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

::welcome::
quaydvt wrote:there seems to be no activity here since last December? Is this a dead thread? Or has everyone emigrated somewhere else? A Canadian newbie looking for information
It`s only dead till someone revives it ::nod::

What would you like to know? ::hmm::

Post pictures, we like pictures here ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

Miller Bro`s wrote: What would you like to know? ::hmm::

Post pictures, we like pictures here ::tu::
I know little ::shrug:: , so probably anything and everything. Just started looking into the British knives and am overwhelmed by the number of makers and specs even for issued knives (so different than the Swiss - one style of soldier knife per 40 year cycle! ;)

Just have 2 so far, but more on the way ::nod:: I am hoping to find a copy of Flook that won't break the bank (well over $200 on my side of the pond) to help me in my efforts as well. What are the good makers, so-so makers, the great and the not so great. I hate to find myself overspending, although I know that value is often in the eye of the beholder!

Here are my two so far. The WATTS (story goes) was damaged while trying to pry a hot barrel off the gun, and the Thomas Turner is just a great old hunk of heavy wonderful knife (WWI maybe? - not dated but has the acceptance mark)

Thanks for any and all comments, suggestions, information.

BTW - Any other women out there collecting these things??? ::tu::
Attachments
CIMG2089.JPG
CIMG2097.JPG
CIMG2096.JPG
CIMG2101.JPG
CIMG2106.JPG
CIMG2103.JPG
CIMG2102.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

A couple of nice old military folders ::tu::

I would say the T. Turner is WW II vintage.

My knowledge of foreign military folders is lacking, I suspect S-K will be along shortly and can fill you in better than I can ::nod::

Try looking for Flooks book here: www.knifeworld.com I think they have it for $69.95

You may want to suscribe it has lot`s of info on military folders and fixed blades.
quaydvt wrote:BTW - Any other women out there collecting these things???
I would not doubt it, we have several women collectors here :)

Dimitri
AAPK Janitor
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

Try looking for Flooks book here: www.knifeworld.com I think they have it for $69.95
Thanks Dimitri - I was actually looking for the British and Commonwealth Military Knives - a monsterous hardcover book, but apparently, pretty much the bible from what I'm told, but that opinion may have been biased. My feeling is if i can get it for $100 it would be a steal! I wasn't sure about the Turner knife. I have seen them discussed as WWI because of the size (this puppy is huge - 5 1/2 inches if you include the shackle and would break your toe if it landed on it!), but if it is WWII, that is also fine. It's a nice knife with very good action.

I got started looking into what might have been issued to Canadian troops - my Dad was a WWII vet - and although none of mine have the broad "C" and arrow (yet!) I still enjoy and appreciate fine old craftsmanship and some of the history these knives carry.

Deb
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Deb,

I don`t have a copy of Flook`s book either :(

Sounds like a good read and has lot`s of information.

My T. Turner knife posted on page 3 of this thread looks just like your knife ::nod::

Are these two knives you posted from your dad?

Dimitri
AAPK Janitor
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

No, I wish. My Dad passed several years ago, but he never did have any of his kit. When he left the Air Force it was on medical discharge and he came back to Canada from England and never kept anything that I'm aware of. These are a couple of eBay finds. I saw your Turner - it does look just like this except yours has something stamped on the handle? Does yours have a date stamp anywhere on it?
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I will dig it out and check what is stamped on the handle ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

Thanks - I see jntroisi has a Canadian M&D stamped piece a bit farther up this page (actually middle of page 4). The size and style of mine is what made me figure WWI (the ebay listing also said WWI, but you never know - I tend to go by what I find out elsewhere on many occasions!). I'd pay a bit to get an M&D piece! Not too many Canadian issues pop up. I have my eye on one now and hope to pick it up.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is the mark on my T. Turner knife.

I have never had one marked M&D, I will have to keep an eye out for one :wink:
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (44.11 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
AAPK Janitor
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

The M&D is the Militia and Defense mark used by the Canadian forces in WWI as their acceptance mark. By the time we hit WWII it was changed to the broad "C" encompassing the broad arrow (I have one coming :) Don't know exactly when the change was made. Nice Knife you have! ::tu::
quaydvt

Post by quaydvt »

My collection is small and I am now limiting myself to Canadian issued pieces. Here we are so far.
1914 Thomas Turner marked M & D Canada, alloy grips
George Wostenholm I*XL with no date (pre-WWI?), Broad "C" and arrow, blade has seen some use (grips? Hardened rubber? Don't know how to tell, but they certainly don't have a plastic feel to them)
Bone handle Camillus Cutlery 1915, with broad C & arrow (a bit disappointed when that one arrived - no snap at all to the blade and lots of wobble, but it looks good on the shelf in spite of the wear on the spearpoint blade and the lack of any proper action)
And an M.S. Ltd XX, Case M346 early post war (1948-49 per Flook's book)

Small, but growing.
Attachments
CIMG2128.JPG
CIMG2129.JPG
CIMG2134.JPG
CIMG2138.JPG
CIMG2143.JPG
CIMG2145.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice ::tu:: I like them all ::nod::

I especially like that bone handle Camillus ::drool::

I need to find one of them myself :)
AAPK Janitor
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Here is the mark on my T. Turner knife.

I have never had one marked M&D, I will have to keep an eye out for one :wink:
I just saw a third pattern F-S for sale on eBay with no mold number on the handle but marked with the broad arrow and WD. At the time, I didn't think it was genuine but after seeing your T. Turner, I'm afraid I may have to change my mind. Strange there's no mold number on the handle of the F-S though.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11021.m4 ... AUS%3A1123
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
homsimpson

Post by homsimpson »

Dear,
I am from Croatia, and I have, in my collection hunter pocket Sheffield(Brokes&Crookes) knife, which was a gift, given in 1908., to one of my ancestor.
I am ready to offer this knife to collectors, so i am asking you, are you interested in buying this knife, which price can you offer?
If you are interested?
Attachments
DSC06419.JPG
DSC06416.JPG
DSC06411.JPG
homsimpson

Post by homsimpson »

homsimpson wrote:Dear,
I am from Croatia, and I have, in my collection hunter pocket Sheffield(Brokes&Crookes) knife, which was a gift, given in 1908., to one of my ancestor.
I am ready to offer this knife to collectors, so i am asking you, are you interested in buying this knife, which price can you offer?
If you are interested?
Something New :lol:
Attachments
noz1.jpg
noz.jpg
noz2.jpg
DavidBatista

Post by DavidBatista »

to smiling knife:

is that a vintage? how do got that knife?
I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it will be with a knife.
pocket knife
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I carried a grey scaled knife like these in my tool box for years, it had german markings on it, wish i still had it but its long gone now :( nice pics guys ::tu::

paul
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”