The Normans were military?????

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Normans were military?????

Post by Mossdancer »

Have done a little research. Appears to be maybe a Norman short sword. 99% sure it is a replica. The wood lined sheath is covered in rough out leather. Only ID is the strange marking on blade and eagle head on sheath. I think I have shown all that is pertinent. Any ideas will be appreciated (relating to manufacture, age. actual type, do they hold any value) It weighs over five pounds.
moss
Attachments
PICT0003.JPG
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0007.JPG
PICT0012 (2).jpg
PICT0006.JPG
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0018.JPG
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Beechtree

Re: The Normans were military?????

Post by Beechtree »

Assuredly a replica, but fun to see, thanks Mossdancer. I would guess just by the appearance that it was made in Europe in the 1960s (Spain, France?), but that is just by the overall appearance of the leather. It could have been made in this country. The quality of the blades, largely, during Norman times would have been very high. Also, any piece in other then relic condition (VERY worn) would be exceptional and very rare today. A clear indication of modern manufacture is the machined appearance of the guard and pommel. I can only guess as to value, really whatever someone is willing to pay, maybe $100-150? There is more work and materials then that into it AND it looks pretty fun!
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Beechtree
Thanks for the reply. You pretty much nailed it. A nice piece to look at for awhile. It has seen some reenactment battles if the nicks in blade can be believed. The welding beneath the guard told me it was newer.moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The markings on the blade look like the Runic alphabet.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”