Unusual Bayonet - help needed

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Unusual Bayonet - help needed

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Found an interesting bayonet, which is totally out of my area of knowledge, for sale. I think it's European, probably WW II era. It has a metal scabbard and a leather sheath with it. Unusual small round protrusion from butt end of the pommel, not sure of its function/purpose but it's threaded and unscrews. Makers name is clearly stamped on the tang, E.J AB. Separated by what appears to be an anchor with a crown over it? Maybe a Naval weapon? After some research and looking at about a thousand eBay listings I can't find another like it. Any one know anything about this item? Any thoughts as to value would be appreciated. Trying to decide whether to make an offer on it.

Ken

Edit: I think I posted this in the wrong place. Probably should go under Military related, or fixed blades. If one of the site moderators would like to move it please do so.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Unusual Bayonet - help needed

Post by Miller Bro's »

Swedish Mauser Model 1896.

They are quite common.
AAPK Janitor
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks! That gives me enough to successfully search the web for more information. I knew someone on AAPK could help. I love this site.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

::handshake::
AAPK Janitor
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

[image][/image]
Does anyone know much about a French Bayonet in Excellent condition from 1880?
Attachments
P1010314 (1).jpg
P1010317.jpg
P1010321 (1).jpg
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

That would be the T-back bayonet for the 11mm metallic cartridge Gras rifle, first produced in 1874.

Since it has a date on the spine, it was produced for the French government/military.

Commercial production, i.e., export, versions have the manufacturer engraved n the spine, but not a date.

The 1874 Gras rifle was a converted 1866 Chassepot rifle. The Chassepot rifle fired a paper cartridge w/ an 11mm projectile.

A conversion was developed by Colonel Basile Gras for changing the Chassepot over to an 11mm metalic cartridge. Rifles produced after the conversion was developed looked like a Chassepot outwardly but were built from the gitgo to accept the metallic cartridge. The rifles took on the name of the conversion process developer.

The bayonet for the Chassepot was a yataghan style sword bayonet. The "new-style" bayonet, the T-back posted, came out around the same time as Gras rifle production began. Both bayonets have assumed the names of the rifles with which they were primarily issued. Allegedly, a Chassepot bayonet will fit a Gras rifle and vice versa, although some folks have reported difficulties in doing so. Probably due to when the particular rifle and bayonet being mated were made.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”