Horstmann Bros.& Co. Phila. sword

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
knife7knut

Horstmann Bros.& Co. Phila. sword

Post by knife7knut »

Just bought this one about 3 hours ago. Coming back from a job in Jackson I stopped at this (for want of a better description)junk store.I've found model cars and other stuff on occasion but never any decent knives.
The store had been re-arranged since I last stopped several months ago so I was taking my time looking around when I spied this sword laying on top of a display case almost hidden from view.
Thought at first it was lodge type sword but the handle wrapping caught my eye.The blade was really dirty and had some rust spots on it but the scabbard looked good(no dents).Had a price of $45 on it.After talking a bit I wound up with it for $40 including tax.
Got it home and started slowly cleaning the blade(not touching the brass)and noticed a bearly readable inscription on the tang.(--rstman- -ros & Co. Phila.) Also along the blade was some scrollwork and the letters U.S.
After doing a little searching I came up with the name Horstmann & Bros. Philadelphia. Started in 1818 and in 1828 started making swords.They made military uniforms,buttons,and the like.There were several different tang stamps over the years with this particular one being used from 1859 to 1893.
So I guess I made a pretty good score.I was a little hesitant to buy it because I don't know a whole lot about military stuff;only that there are a lot of counterfeits about.I don't believe this is counterfeit and if anyone has any knowledge as to where I might find a value for it I would appreciate it greatly.I'm not interested in selling it;just to value it for my files.
Attachments
HorstmannBros&Co1.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co2.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co3.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co4.jpg
HorstmannBros&co5.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co6.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co7.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co8.jpg
HorstmannBros&Co9.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tjmurphy

Re: Horstmann Bros.& Co. Phila. sword

Post by tjmurphy »

Very nice pick. ::tu:: You seem to always come up with the neatest stuff. If I ever get into your neck of the woods, I'm going to secretly follow you around to discover your secret pickin' parlors.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”