U.S & German World War I & II Military Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
Jacknifeben

Re: U.S & German World War I & II Military Knives

Post by Jacknifeben »

my old fishing buddy gave me this one. did a couple years in WW2.
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (41.47 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
MVC-002S.JPG
elbertson

Post by elbertson »

WelderBob wrote:Thank's Moss, The pommel is peened just like the MK3, but the false edge is unsharpened. I'm assuming the leather sheath has
a notch or bevel on one side to accommodate the bent guard...that will help in spotting one.
I believe you are right if I remember correctly about the sheath notch...I think they might have had 5 rivets, also. I won't fit the hard Mk1 scabbard due to the bent guard...and it's not an Mk1, anyway.
The beatings will continue until morale has improved...
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

JACKNIFEBEN:
It seems as thought I have experienced a brain fart. What is the nomenclature of that bolo type? It looks sort of like a Collins
Model 1904 , very nice. Do you have the sheath.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It looks like a model 1904 Hospital Corps Knife.

It also looks like one half of the guard is cut off ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is a WW II era Western Seebee L-71 knife
Attachments
w4.JPG
w4.JPG (27.94 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
w.JPG
w.JPG (23.38 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
AAPK Janitor
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I don't know much about that knife. He said there was a sheath with it at one time and he carried it over his shoulder.
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank's guy's for the info on the sheath's...I'm on the hunt now... ::nod::

Dimitri, That Seebee is a neat little knife... ::tu:: ...I think I'll keep eye out for one of those.

Bob
Bob

"To Ride, Shoot Straight, And Speak The Truth" - Jeff Cooper
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Bob ::tu::

They ain`t easy to find :( ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It`s been almost a whole month. Anyone pick up any new ones?

I haven`t found any Military knives lately :(
AAPK Janitor
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Just so happens that an old Navy buddy of mine just a few days ago sent me a 6 inch Camillus Pilots or aircrew survival knife with a well used sheath which I will use to have a replacement made to its exact specs. The knife still has in excess 85% of parkerizing with what appears to be a small amount of sharpening. Some how the tip has lost a fraction. Bob, somewhere I think I have one of those bolo's with the sheath. I will try to find it.
moss
Attachments
6 Inch Camillus JPK TRU TEMPER Rocket A20R Hammer 001.jpg
6 Inch Camillus JPK TRU TEMPER Rocket A20R Hammer 002.jpg
6 Inch Camillus JPK TRU TEMPER Rocket A20R Hammer 003.jpg
6 Inch Camillus JPK TRU TEMPER Rocket A20R Hammer 004.jpg
6 Inch Camillus JPK TRU TEMPER Rocket A20R Hammer 005.jpg
6 Inch Camillus JPK TRU TEMPER Rocket A20R Hammer 006.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Looks like it is in very good shape Moss ::tu::

It should not be too hard to find an original sheath for one of these, I would think.
AAPK Janitor
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Picked up a couple Mark 1's...Robeson No. 20, one is as issued and the other has been rehandled.
The "theather" version has nice size handle and substantial guard and pommel of aluminum that
feel's good in the hand...much stronger than the issue knife.

Bob
Attachments
Mark 1  Robeson 009.JPG
Mark 1  Robeson 014.JPG
Bob

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Bob,

Both of those look great ::tu::

The theater one is very well done, someone had some talent ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Here are a couple of Mark II's I picked up in a trade. The Utica knives were evidently not MK 2 marked. This is the best Leather sheath I have gotten out here in this rainy land. By the way I also got two 1911 Holsters a 1944 and a 1945 both fully marked and like they are near unused.
moss
Attachments
Mil Mark 2's and 6inch JPK 006c.jpg
Mil Mark 2's and 6inch JPK 009.jpg
Mil Mark 2's and 6inch JPK 007.jpg
Mil Mark 2's and 6inch JPK 008.jpg
elbertson

Post by elbertson »

The Utica Mk2 you have wasn't made until the '60s, by then Mk2s were no longer made with either MK2 or branch of service markings, as they were universal to all branches.

I hope this info is useful...I've responded before in this forum without any acknowledgement of whether it was even read, let alone helpful.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi elbertson:
PLease do not let a lack of a reply put you off. Anything anyone can contribute is certainly appreciated. Thank you for the info.
moss
elbertson

Post by elbertson »

Thanks, just nice to know I'm not wasting my, or anyone else's, time. I feel info ain't worth a hoot if it can't be shared.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

elbertson wrote:I hope this info is useful...I've responded before in this forum without any acknowledgement of whether it was even read, let alone helpful.
Let me say there are about a dozen of us that actually contribute to this forum on a regular basis. Not a lot of folks at AAPK collect fixed blade knives, especially military. So there is a big lag in response time on these threads ::nod::

Like Moss said, don`t let that discourage you. I know I am reading what you write and appreciated your input ::tu:: :D
AAPK Janitor
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Added another one to Mark ll herd...a guard marked Robeson USN in pretty good shape. I noticed the tip on this is more blunt
than Camillus and KaBar's and the handle tapers down towards the pommel...I was wondering if the guard marked knives were
made towards the end of WWll...?

Bob
Attachments
Robeson 005.JPG
Robeson 006.JPG
Robeson 008.JPG
Bob

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Stamps were moved from the blade to the guard at some point (mid-late 1943 if I remember right).

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
WelderBob
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by WelderBob »

Thank you Jim that's one question down... ::tu:: ...always been curious why they went from blade marked to guard marked...cost cutting or a change in manufacturing process.

Bob
Bob

coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

WelderBob wrote:Thank you Jim that's one question down... ::tu:: ...always been curious why they went from blade marked to guard marked...cost cutting or a change in manufacturing process.

Bob
The general story is that the change was made out of concern that some blades (actually the M3, not the KaBar) were breaking at the stamp. Tests were done by the Infantry Board and Springfield, and the change was made as soon as it could be implemented. I don't know if the breakage was ever shown to be due to the blade stamps though--and the records of the tests/investigation are missing.

There is another argument though: the guards were unhardened mild steel, while the blades were high-carbon steel. Marking the guards would result in less wear to the die, and longer life before replacement. There was a lot of call for diemakers at the time, and I suspect anything that could be done to extend the life of tooling became a consideration.

But who knows? Maybe some guy just wanted to confuse all the future collectors? ::shrug::

Jim
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
elbertson

Post by elbertson »

I was always under the impression that the change from blade stamp location was to cut costs and increase efficiency. All they would need to do to change over from USN to USMC production was to grab prestamped guards from a different box and use them. Makes sense as prestamped guards are cheaper to produce and take up a lot less space than prestamped blades. Don't know if that's the reason for sure, but it seems logical.
I find it hard to believe that they would seriously blame stamped blades for blade breakage. The stampings were typically very light, and stamped blade knives have been around awhile before WW2. Sounds to me that it was more likely one of those stories concocted in the field to try to explain the change...kinda like M-16s being made by Mattel, or EJ jungle boots being made with input from Lady Bird Johnson. Also consider all the other government contracted knives that continued to be made with stamped blades.
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

I don't know; all I know for sure is that Frank Trzaska has stated that the reports from Springfield/Infantry Board are in the Index at the National Archives, but the reports are missing. I've never cared enough to find out the titles of the reports, or what description there might be.

It seems that often with such investigations, the results don't really answer the original questions (they may resolve a problem--and that's often a good thing--but they may not answer the original statement). Apparently there were problems with knives breaking, and apparently it stopped (or declined) after the location of the stamping changed--but there may have been other changes, in tempering, steel source, or ???

Jim
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Mossdancer wrote:Just so happens that an old Navy buddy of mine just a few days ago sent me a 6 inch Camillus Pilots or aircrew survival knife with a well used sheath which I will use to have a replacement made to its exact specs. The knife still has in excess 85% of parkerizing with what appears to be a small amount of sharpening. Some how the tip has lost a fraction. Bob, somewhere I think I have one of those bolo's with the sheath. I will try to find it.
moss
Today @ a fleamarket I got a knife just like this one that has ONTARIO 10-76 at the top of the handle on the side of the cap w/ no other markings, did Camillus make this knife for Ontario,I would swear these are one in the same except mine has a 5" blade :?pictures on pg4.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”