VINTAGE JAPANESE TOOL FORGED IRON HATCHET AX

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Draac

VINTAGE JAPANESE TOOL FORGED IRON HATCHET AX

Post by Draac »

This vintage Japanese ax hatchet is made of hand forged tempered iron that holds an edge like nothing made today. Made by a master Japanese blade maker, and used over 80 years ago by a Japanese craftsman. Except for some light oxidation and a few checks in the warm aged patina to the Japanese red oak handle, it is still very sharp. The blade is currently loose and would require more shims to hold it fast to the handle. The ax blade measures 5 1/8" long (13 cm) and weighs in at 2 lb 4 oz. The Japanese red oak handle (13" overall) provides an excellent grip.

Draac
Attachments
VINTAGE JAPANESE TOOL FORGED IRON HATCHET AX.jpg
VINTAGE JAPANESE TOOL FORGED IRON HATCHET AX.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
gringo

Re: VINTAGE JAPANESE TOOL FORGED IRON HATCHET AX

Post by gringo »

i had one of those some years ago...mine was a yard sale rescue...black lacquered except for the 1/8 along cutting edge...
on the flat of the blade was where it was made, who made it, and the year it was made...mine did not have a handle, someone had stuffed a ROUND hammer handle into the rectangle, so i made a longer version than the one you show...
i also polished the dings and bang marks out of the poor thing...
it had an edge that couldn't be beat.

i should add i aligned the handle to the cutting edge, it was a fine tool. i miss it.

i sold it for 200 bucks in 1987!
Draac

Post by Draac »

gringo wrote:i sold it for 200 bucks in 1987!
Well, I paid a $100.00 for it because I felt it was all original. If you sold yours for $200.00, I feel good about my purchace....:+)

Draac
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Very cool piece. ::tu::
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
gringo

Post by gringo »

i gave it away too cheap, i think..i sure miss it...
i took it to a sweatlodge, all sundancers, one night...just after making the handle...nothing like a bunch of navajo sundancers to stress test an object...those men went through a cord of not really seasoned juniper with some grins... :D , i really thought they would have broken the handle...but all it did was chop wood...quick an easy.

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”