125 years old and still cutting.

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

125 years old and still cutting.

Post by Colonel26 »

I needed to make two rough cut out braces for a shelf match and my modern band saw is down, needs a new blade. So what to do?

Pull out the old Stanley Rule & Level #64 spokeshave. And to fine tune the fit I used my high tech spindle sander. A little finish sanding and they’ll be ready to go.

Reckon how many more generations my old spokeshaves and planes will go through? More than my power tools for sure!
IMG_7625.jpeg
IMG_7627.jpeg
IMG_7629.jpeg
IMG_7630.jpeg
That’s good enough for government work.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Re: 125 years old and still cutting.

Post by FRJ »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:49 am Reckon how many more generations my old spokeshaves and planes will go through? More than my power tools for sure!
I hope they outlast that spindle sander! :D

Good work, Wade, nothing like the old tried and true hand tools.
They have proven themselves for years. ::nod::
Joe
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

"How many more generations", I would have to say not many if any. The younger generation has no use or time for anything that outdated. The last year I was working, one of my co workers, a 20 something was ranting about old hand tools being nothing but scrap iron. I took my Stanley smoothing plane and attached a 4 ft power cord with plug to it and took him into my confidence that I had developed an "update" for hand planes. He spent almost an hour trying to figure out how it worked. He never really talked to me again after that day.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

FRJ wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:20 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:49 am Reckon how many more generations my old spokeshaves and planes will go through? More than my power tools for sure!
I hope they outlast that spindle sander! :D

Good work, Wade, nothing like the old tried and true hand tools.
They have proven themselves for years. ::nod::
Amen! Truth be told, I’m better with a spoke shave than with the bandsaw anyway.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm "How many more generations", I would have to say not many if any. The younger generation has no use or time for anything that outdated. The last year I was working, one of my co workers, a 20 something was ranting about old hand tools being nothing but scrap iron. I took my Stanley smoothing plane and attached a 4 ft power cord with plug to it and took him into my confidence that I had developed an "update" for hand planes. He spent almost an hour trying to figure out how it worked. He never really talked to me again after that day.
To a large degree you’re right. And that was hillarious what you did with the power cord. 🤣.

I find it easier to be accurate with hand tools than with the power tools. It could be that I don’t take the time to set them up right. But for a couple of cuts I can take my planes, shaves, chisels, etc… and do what’s needed in the time it would take to change blades and set the machine up.

I’m fortunate in that my middle son loves making things with the old hand tools. He’s already laid claim to my meager collection. This morning before church he showed me a boys ax that he rehabbed and rehung last night. I could not have done as good a job!
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Colonel26 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:15 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:31 pm "How many more generations", I would have to say not many if any. The younger generation has no use or time for anything that outdated. The last year I was working, one of my co workers, a 20 something was ranting about old hand tools being nothing but scrap iron. I took my Stanley smoothing plane and attached a 4 ft power cord with plug to it and took him into my confidence that I had developed an "update" for hand planes. He spent almost an hour trying to figure out how it worked. He never really talked to me again after that day.
To a large degree you’re right. And that was hillarious what you did with the power cord. 🤣.

I find it easier to be accurate with hand tools than with the power tools. It could be that I don’t take the time to set them up right. But for a couple of cuts I can take my planes, shaves, chisels, etc… and do what’s needed in the time it would take to change blades and set the machine up.

I’m fortunate in that my middle son loves making things with the old hand tools. He’s already laid claim to my meager collection. This morning before church he showed me a boys ax that he rehabbed and rehung last night. I could not have done as good a job!
Right you are. I still use hand tools to build things like boxes and so on. Hand saw the parts, use the joiner plane to straighten edges, cut mitered ends and true them with a plane and shooting board, use the Stanley #45 to cut other joints, and drill holes with the Stanley breast drill. I still use the Stanley flat and curved bottom spoke shaves on the decoy carvings. I like to handle the old tools, all mine are users.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:31 pm

Right you are. I still use hand tools to build things like boxes and so on. Hand saw the parts, use the joiner plane to straighten edges, cut mitered ends and true them with a plane and shooting board, use the Stanley #45 to cut other joints, and drill holes with the Stanley breast drill. I still use the Stanley flat and curved bottom spoke shaves on the decoy carvings. I like to handle the old tools, all mine are users.
You’re a man after my own heart! Anymore my table saw mostly just holds my hand tools.

I don’t have a 45…yet…I’m waiting on the right one to come along, and I use an egg beater hand drill and my braces and bits. I’ll have to keep an eye out for a breast drill. I’ve heard good things about them.

I have the 4-7 (my 5 is a Bedrock). The old Stanley #6 try/fore plane is probably my all around favorite general purpose plane. But I’m hunting a 71 router plane real hard right now.

Hand tools, a decent bench, and a shooting board…about all you need.
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I see a few Stanley #45 around. I bought mine a few years back for $125. It is not a collectable but a user, has some missing plating, but had all the cutters that were included in 1914 and the metal box was missing the lid. I had considered a #55, but they are a lot more expensive and complex than what I needed.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:03 am I see a few Stanley #45 around. I bought mine a few years back for $125. It is not a collectable but a user, has some missing plating, but had all the cutters that were included in 1914 and the metal box was missing the lid. I had considered a #55, but they are a lot more expensive and complex than what I needed.
Yes sir. I always heard that Stanley made the 55 just to see how complicated they could make a plane.
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:42 am

You’re a man after my own heart! Anymore my table saw mostly just holds my hand tools.

I don’t have a 45…yet…I’m waiting on the right one to come along, and I use an egg beater hand drill and my braces and bits. I’ll have to keep an eye out for a breast drill. I’ve heard good things about them.

I have the 4-7 (my 5 is a Bedrock). The old Stanley #6 try/fore plane is probably my all around favorite general purpose plane. But I’m hunting a 71 router plane real hard right now.

Yes, the breast drill is a most valuable hand tool, one of the original drill/drivers. I have my dads Stanley #742, which as shown on the pictures is a 2 speed. Engage the bigger gear for higher speed when drilling, smaller gear for less speed, more torque for driving screws. It is a big unit, 16 and 1/2" long overall with a 1/2 inch chuck. When I was a kid I used a Stanley eggbeater for most things, but got out the #742 for bigger holes and screwdriving. I see them occasionally at the flea markets and tool shows.
IMG_5526.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5528.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Since you mentioned drills, I've got two that are still cutting it. :mrgreen:

I haven't used these in a while, especially the smaller one. But I haven't been using my tools much of late.
These tools are as smooth as butter in spite of their age. ::tu::
Attachments
26C38756-E29A-4342-8379-A8E42C914032.jpeg
25003506-FC98-44C5-BEEA-90AD2FFC149E.jpeg
07E105E5-765C-4E40-ABCF-B5912F9BF670.jpeg
AEBEFC45-D955-4E1D-A62A-FC25512AE1B8.jpeg
F587FD0C-0770-436A-8644-180810352FF5.jpeg
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:46 pm Since you mentioned drills, I've got two that are still cutting it. :mrgreen:

I haven't used these in a while, especially the smaller one. But I haven't been using my tools much of late.
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:59 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:42 am

Yes, the breast drill is a most valuable hand tool, one of the original drill/drivers. I have my dads Stanley #742, which as shown on the pictures is a 2 speed. Engage the bigger gear for higher speed when drilling, smaller gear for less speed, more torque for driving screws. It is a big unit, 16 and 1/2" long overall with a 1/2 inch chuck. When I was a kid I used a Stanley eggbeater for most things, but got out the #742 for bigger holes and screwdriving. I see them occasionally at the flea markets and tool shows.

IMG_5526.JPG
IMG_5527.JPG
IMG_5528.JPG
Those drills are fantastic! Wow!
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

FRJ wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:46 pm Since you mentioned drills, I've got two that are still cutting it. :mrgreen:

Joe, are both of yours 2 speed?
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:42 am Joe, are both of yours 2 speed?
Yes, the Goodell Pratt has a button that has Slow or Fast on the cap. The button is pressed in to engage or pulled out to disengage.
I haven't spent enough time with it to fully understand the mechanics of it. I'll get better pictures of that tomorrow.
The Dunlap is two speed as well. The gear mechanism slides back and forth to engage small and larger gears. Similar to yours, I believe.
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

FRJ wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:44 am
Yes, the Goodell Pratt has a button that has Slow or Fast on the cap. The button is pressed in to engage or pulled out to disengage.
I haven't spent enough time with it to fully understand the mechanics of it. I'll get better pictures of that tomorrow.
The Dunlap is two speed as well. The gear mechanism slides back and forth to engage small and larger gears. Similar to yours, I believe.
But of y’all’s are fantastic. Do I remember correctly that Stanley bought out Goddell and Pratt?

Now y’all have done given me another rabbit hole to go down, I’m going to have to pick up a breast drill now. 🤦‍♂️
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Colonel26 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:06 am
FRJ wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:44 am
But of y’all’s are fantastic. Do I remember correctly that Stanley bought out Goddell and Pratt?

Now y’all have done given me another rabbit hole to go down, I’m going to have to pick up a breast drill now. 🤦‍♂️
In actual operation, it's more like a "belly drill". lol
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I would not be surprised at all to learn that Stanley bought Goodell and Pratt only to bury the sophistication of a fine company that would infringe on the promotion of Stanley. A tactic used by many.

A few more pictures if it matters.
Attachments
698DDE26-B8E4-4112-8166-C90E0680AB31.jpeg
8F8C3EA0-E54A-40CC-8D45-B6F315ADCBE2.jpeg
A632A3C9-4341-4402-9999-6F3361717CCF.jpeg
16DDAF16-41DF-4394-BCC8-0B06749349CF.jpeg
92A65732-C4E6-4385-B335-CEC62388E4E2.jpeg
Joe
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

FRJ wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:23 pm I would not be surprised at all to learn that Stanley bought Goodell and Pratt only to bury the sophistication of a fine company that would infringe on the promotion of Stanley. A tactic used by many.

A few more pictures if it matters.
That is great!

And you’re spot on about Stanley. They did the same thing with North Bros. Yankee braces and screwdrivers.

Your G&P breast drill is fantastic!
Robert E. Lee
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:55 pm Your G&P breast drill is fantastic!
Thank you, Wade.
Joe

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”