wife wants new kitchen knives

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
trey

wife wants new kitchen knives

Post by trey »

Okay guys, I need some help. My wife wants new kitchen knives. I want
American made with carbon steel. I bought one Old Hickory on ebay to
try out (still in transit). What do you think about Old Hickory? Any suggestions
on other brands?

Thanks,
Trey
tjmurphy

Re: wife wants new kitchen knives

Post by tjmurphy »

I was thinking the same thing. Our kitchen knives really suck. Let's have some suggestions for good knives.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
trey

Post by trey »

TJ, our kitchen knives would have to be modified and reground to improve to the point where they only suck.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

If I were buying kitchen knives right now, it would be the ceramic blades from Boker:
http://www.boker.de/us/kitchen-knife/bo ... knife.html
1300c3[1].jpg
1300c3[1].jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 3830 times
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey Ranger, any experience with the ceramic knives?

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I use a set from victorinox, there afordable and hold a good edge, sorry i dont know there model but they have black plastic handels, :D
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Hey Murph,
I only have one, the Boker CX, IIRC. It's the smallest, cheapest one they make. I use it for slicing maters, taters, and the like. I've only had it a few weeks, but great so far.
I guess if it ever gets dull, I'll have to send it to TJT for maintenance...
-Blue
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I think that Sears had a set of "As seen on TV" for about $20, maybe I'll try them.

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

tjmurphy wrote:I think that Sears had a set of "As seen on TV" for about $20, maybe I'll try them.
As seen on the internet, only $19.95!
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... s=BO1300CX
But WAIT! If you order now ... :lol:

note: I have absolutely no connection to the knifecenter, other than as an occasional customer.
-Blue
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I have a old set of Henckels before they like so many
others went global...they stay sharp and do not stain
I always hand wash em
Not USA but good uns from Germany
stag
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Try perusing the website of AG Russell. He carries many lines of very good kitchen knives, but they are not cheap. For most of us, the kitchen is where we use our knives the most. And have the sorriest junk. I have a mix.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

Lots of range in price here. Lots of range in quality.

I'll try to get some pictures of my kitchen knives.
Joe
OLD GAR

Post by OLD GAR »

CUTCO are made in the US. I looked them up on the web and found they are very EXPENSIVE! but really good knives. I just lucked out ::ds:: and bought the small 5 piece set at a flea market for less than $10. I couldn't believe the retail price and doubt many regular folks would pay it. even for US made product..Course you with the big deep pocket could fo it ::nod::

Old Hickorys are good but watch for the rust if you do them in the DW or leave them with moisture on the blades.

I have a couple 'blocks' of Chicago Cutlery. Some of them really hold an edge well and then some aren't as good. I just like the husky feel of the big oak handles. Not so the boss. She loves those Cutcos.

Some web sites do not want posters to put links to stuff on e-bay so if I am out of line please take this down. . .this seller has several interesting items and down at the bottom of the first page 3 Cutcos

http://shop.ebay.com/freegrazerfive/m.h ... 581&_pgn=2
Suburbia: where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

I've got a set of J.A. Henckels Professional S series knives .... had them for over 15 years and I'm MORE than pleased with them.

I just sharpened the entire lot of them the other day and honed them so they are sharp to the point of shaving hairs off my arms.

In use just about every day as I enjoy cooking. Not sure what the prices are now but January is usually a good month to find discounts offered on the S series.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

I bought the wife a set of Henckels International Classics from Costco. The "International" in the title means they are not made in Germany - the "Classic" style is made in Spain. We have had them for about 4 years or so, and been really happy with them. They aren't as expensive as the German made Henckels, but they feel real solid in the hand, have a full tang, riveted handles, etc. and get hair popping sharp. The wife wasn't too excited about them when I first came home with them (we had "early marriage" knives from 20+ years ago, which she thought were "good enough"), but now you can't pry them out of her hands - she loves her Henckels.

Here's the 8" Chef's knife on Amazon....where you can read some reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-Internat ... 901&sr=8-1
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I LOVE carbon steel! ::ds::
My kitchen knives are an assortment of old carbon steel knives from garage & estate sales.
They ain't fancy, but oh bubba are they sharp!!!
The old Cattaraugus are my faves. ::nod::

Sharp knives NEVER go in the dishwasher at our house. :shock: :shock: :shock:

If I were buying new knives for someone (stainless steel), or if I had to use new ones myself and did not want to spend hundreds per knife for new Kershaw Shun.......
I would buy the regular Kershaw kitchen knives with the rubberized handles, or the Forschner/Victorianox plastic or wood handles. I have both and they are very good and reasonable in price. Between Kershaw & Forschner, I would have to give the nod to Forschner.

Let us know what you get & how you like it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

CUTCO was mentioned earlier and yes the are EXPENSIVE!

My stepson just got roped into being a sales rep for that outfit. He brought his "demo" set home and proceeded to expound upon the virtues of this "OH SO WONDERFUL" line of cutlery.

They are well made and finished. Personally, I can not see that kind of money for those knives. He's been at his "training sessions for two day now and there is more of "sell the sizzle, not the steak" than anything else that I can see. Wife and I will be his first presentation. He gets $15 per presentation or a percentage of the sale price.

I don't think he'll be long in the sales business. I hope he surprises me and makes some money, but realistically I think he is headed for a fall.

I have some damn good kitchen knives by Victorinox, Henckels, Case and few others. My wife is scared of "BIG" knives, so I do the big cutting chores. I've managed to get a drawer delegated in the cabinet for the good knives as she would toss them all together in an old coffee pot just to listen to me gripe about screwing up the edges I think... ::dang:: She has her choice of beaters that get abused and cussed when they get dull from cutting stuff on a damn plate. I knock an edge of sorts back on 'em and she's happy until she rolls the edge the next time.. :roll:

It upsets her when I drag my 110 out to slice a tomato. LOL
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Trey - The first thing you have to do is decide what price range you want to shop in. If you're only going to allot $20 for a set of new kitchen knives, well you're an experienced man and know where that's going. If you're going whole hog, I don't think you can go wrong with Shun. If you decide on a good set that won't break the bank, Dale has made some excellent suggestions.

As far as ceramic knives go, I bought a cheap Chinese ceramic knife at Harbor Freight and it works very well. Great tomato slicer but slicing things thinly, such as some vegetables and meats is clumsy at best. Cleans up like a dream but as with all things made of glass, careful is the order of the day when handling it.

NO KITCHEN KNIVES IN THE DISHWASHER ! ! ! ! EVER ! ! ! !
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Owd Wullie wrote:CUTCO was mentioned earlier and yes the are EXPENSIVE!

My stepson just got roped into being a sales rep for that outfit. He brought his "demo" set home and proceeded to expound upon the virtues of this "OH SO WONDERFUL" line of cutlery.

They are well made and finished. Personally, I can not see that kind of money for those knives. He's been at his "training sessions for two day now and there is more of "sell the sizzle, not the steak" than anything else that I can see. Wife and I will be his first presentation. He gets $15 per presentation or a percentage of the sale price.

I don't think he'll be long in the sales business. I hope he surprises me and makes some money, but realistically I think he is headed for a fall.

I have some damn good kitchen knives by Victorinox, Henckels, Case and few others. My wife is scared of "BIG" knives, so I do the big cutting chores. I've managed to get a drawer delegated in the cabinet for the good knives as she would toss them all together in an old coffee pot just to listen to me gripe about screwing up the edges I think... ::dang:: She has her choice of beaters that get abused and cussed when they get dull from cutting stuff on a damn plate. I knock an edge of sorts back on 'em and she's happy until she rolls the edge the next time.. :roll:

It upsets her when I drag my 110 out to slice a tomato. LOL
You are buying the guarantee with those CUTCO knives.
They are warranted forever even against misuse and abuse.

I actually pulled a brand new set of these knives out of a dumpster a few weeks ago while working on a house that was damaged by fire or should I say damaged more by the water damage from the fire fighters. It is a total insurance job and the home owners threw everything that was in the house away. The knives were still in the original box wrapped in plastic.
The knives nor wooden knife holders got wet at all. Besides smelling a little smokey there is absolutely nothing wrong with these knives. I even mentioned to the home owners about them and they told me they were a wedding gift that they never used and told me to take them.
I truly don't think these people knew how much these knives are worth but then again these people are quite wealthy.
I searched around on the net and from what I can tell this set of knives are worth somewhere around $700.00.
Might use them, might try and sell them. Not to sure right now.
I'm more into the old carbon steel kitchen knives myself.

I'll post pictures of the set when I get the time.

J W
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Yeah Boy! Those are some expensive Knives! Even their KA-BAR Explorer is priced at $169.00
Attachments
5725_Stat.jpg
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

The boy came home this evening after his final day "training" to SELL THE SIZZLE, NOT THE STEAK". Had his rope and leather samples to demonstrate the SUPER fine edges of CUTCO's finest. I picked up a RoughRider E-toe that was I use to open crap boxes and stuff with and sliced his rope in twain with it. I told him a cheap assed Chinese POS will cut rope if it's sharp.

HE looked at me like the butter had just slid off his biscuit, shook his head, told me I was hopeless and walked out to tell his Mom we wouldn't probably wouldn't be buying any of his knives. ;)
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

cutcos with out a doubt,finally stowed away my old cattaraugus set because they just get destroyed in the new dishwasher daughter forgets,tried a chicago cutlery set that was usa made it was ok but the cutco set is worth the money imho buy it once or buy several sets
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife

Return to “In The Kitchen”