ROBESON SHUREDGE Frozen Heat Gourmet Carver Knife Set

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

ROBESON SHUREDGE Frozen Heat Gourmet Carver Knife Set

Post by TripleF »

Sharpens itself when you reinsert the knife......purty cool...

Looking forward to your insights Charlie! ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN4976.JPG
DSCN5031.JPG
DSCN4977.JPG
DSCN4981.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
RobesonsRme.com

Re: ROBESON SHUREDGE Frozen Heat Gourmet Carver Knife Set

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Scott, at one time I had several sets of Robeson kitchen knives in wood blocks, including one identical to that one.

I sold all but one. I kept it as a traditional turkey/ham/roast carver. For some reason, an electric knife at the Thanksgiving dinner table just seems wrong.

These Robeson Frozen Heat knives are wicked sharp. The ones I kept are concave/hollow ground and come close to looking like a very long straight razor.

I do have Robeson kitchen knives on the counter and use them every day. They can be bought inexpensively on Ebay and are better than anything you'd pay big bucks for in a kitchen shop.

The only thing lacking or really hard to find is a big, heavy chopping style knife.

If you think about it, that self-sharpening apparatus was a clever ploy on their part. Every time one removed or replaced a knife, it went across two sharpening stones. Was that necessary? Does anybody really resharpen a knife every time they use it? I suspect they knew perfectly well that the owners of these sets, if they used them regularly, would be looking to replace them in short order.

The set I kept does not have the self-sharpening feature.

Very nice, unused sets of Robeson kitchen knives show up on Ebay practically every week. They can be had for very little money, $25 - $35. Sometimes, they are posted for a lot more, but they won't sell and they get relisted for less.

I think a lot of these were given as wedding, anniversary or birthday gifts back in the 50's, went practically unused and now, as the owners pass away, their heirs, having no use for them and completely unaware of their high quality, just throw them into an estate sell or put them on Ebay.

If you search Ebay for "Robeson Knife", you'll find some very nice kitchen sets similar to the one you have, as well as individual knives. They are great knives and cannot be beaten, for the money.

Just stay away from those fancy stag handled "Continental" sets. They were German imports and not of the same quality.

The ShurWood handles on these knives is practically indestructible and the blocks they are in is made of the same stuff.

Robeson had an extra shop just for the manufacture of their version of "PaccaWood", which they called "ShurWood" and they used it to make knife handles for folding, as well as straight knives, knife blocks, wall hanging holders with magnetic strips, ash trays, BBQ implements, bar implements, etc.

You got a nice set there. Use it.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: ROBESON SHUREDGE Frozen Heat Gourmet Carver Knife Set

Post by TripleF »

Thanks for the insights and info Charlie.... ::tu:: Much respect and appreciation!

I sold it months ago.....along with the German made stag set.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “In The Kitchen”