Carbon Steel

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Carbon Steel

Post by Jody744 »

What is the easiest/best way to determine if a balde is carbon steel or not? all I know is the case ss and cv markings, what about other knives that are not marked on the blade??? Thanks :?
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Corbin0192

Post by Corbin0192 »

If its stainless it will probably say so on the blade. Hope that helps.
“I've always wanted to go to Switzerland to see what the army does with those wee red knives.”
-Billy Connolly
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

You could use a very expensive piece of gear that explodes the steel, then reads out from the vapors what the composition is of the metal....

or do it the easy way: Touch a part of the blade to an apple, a little vinegar, or regular mustard (remove oil first). You will have to buff it out if it turns out to be carbon steel. FRankly, I use Birchwood Casey gun blue, and to remove it, I use Gun Blue Remover.
Gr8Scout

Post by Gr8Scout »

In time, you will be able to tell most companies steel from the look of it, in many, many cases. Some manufacturers will buff carbon highly, seems to make it less prone to staining, and their stainless steels will not be so well finished. Takes time and experience
tjlcutler

Post by tjlcutler »

There is a way to check to see if blades wher carbon or steinless use copper solfate solution it would turn the carbon blades copper color. The stianless steel will not turn color. It does work. ::nod::
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

tjlcutler - got a quick question for you ? Will copper sulfate work on D-2 ? It's not truly stainless, but it's got way-high chromium content ?

Just curious, I don't have any D-2 on hand, and really hadn't planned on gettin' any...

Thanks,
JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

Ringmaster wrote:tjlcutler - got a quick question for you ? Will copper sulfate work on D-2 ? It's not truly stainless, but it's got way-high chromium content ?

Just curious, I don't have any D-2 on hand, and really hadn't planned on gettin' any...

Thanks,
JR
That's a good question since the D2 carbon content is about 1.50%, twice as high as 1075/1080. But 440C is about 1.00 %. ::shrug::
Hukk

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”