New at this, help

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Charlie

New at this, help

Post by Charlie »

I am very new at knife collecting, I have always liked case knives, my father always had one, wished I could find them now. anyway, I've started buying a few on auction sites, I received an email from another collector, I guess, who says he has several peanut knives, my favorite, but he is using language I don't understand, such as peanuts, and peanut USA, can someone tell me if there is a difference other than age? and what is the age difference. Thanks for this great informational site.
Charlie
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the wonderful world of knife collecting!

I'll try to help you out... I think I may know what is going on here, but probably not.. :lol:

I'll use the peanut in this example...

Some collectors say things like... USA era peanut... This would more than likely be one manufactured between 1965 and 1969. They call them USA because that's when Case started stamping U.S.A. on the tang.

Other examples I've heard include XX peanuts (pre 64), pre-dot peanuts (pre 1970), 10 dot peanuts, circle C peanuts etc...

I would tell 'em you're just starting out.... ask lots of questions and have 'em translate. That's how you learn.

Bryan
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Well put Bryan
Its also most helpful to pick up any old or new knife guide books you can find. Will
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Thanks Bryan and Stagman, your information is very helpful. Going to the bookstore today looking for knife price guide. Again Thanks for this wonderful forum
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Hey Charlie,
Case Peanuts are my fav pattern too. You can look thru my peanuts page and find a little bit of info spread around. I've only collected them for a few months and still quite new at it overall. There are some close-ups which will give you a reference alot of times when you are looking at certain peanuts.

Welcome to the Forum!
A Scripto Vu-Lighter Collector
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Hey Thanks Hawke,
how do I get to your peanuts page? sounds interesting.
jwm1960

Post by jwm1960 »

Charlie wrote:Hey Thanks Hawke,
how do I get to your peanuts page? sounds interesting.

Look at the bottom of Hawke's message and click where it says, "My Knife Collection". That should get you to his peanut collection.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

yea I found it just about the time a sent the message. Thanks C

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”