Case knives question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
jwm1960

Case knives question

Post by jwm1960 »

When did Case start using brass liners in their knives? Was it the same year they start using brass pins and nails?

I know it was after 1975 but before 1983.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Brass has been used by Case since their earliest days...from day 1, really.

A better question might be, when did they go back to using brass exclusively (except on the pearls, Tony Bose knives, and Selects).....

Well,,,a little history....

the early years.....

Brass was used on most knives, the cheaper knives were lined with iron, many higher end patterns including some stockman, trapper, and gents knife patterns had nickel silver liners. Iron was the low end material, brass mid grade, and nickel silver the best and it was used especially on stockman patterns since it was ono-reactive and thus more sanitary on knives that were used for "surgery" on animals.

Then after WWII, iron went away except for use on the 6143 daddy barlow pattern. Brass was used on most patterns but probably at least a third had nickel silver. This continued into the 70's......then I think about 1982 or so, all use of nickel silver for liners went away presumably as a
cost cutting measure......this continued until the late 90;s when NS was brought back for the pearls and select knives.
jwm1960

Post by jwm1960 »

Thanks for the history lesson. I've not been collecting long but all the older Case knives I've seen have had nickel/silver pins & liners and just figured the use of brass pins & liners by Case was something fairly new.

I've learned something today! :)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”