"FOREIGN" STAMPING

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
cattaraugus57

"FOREIGN" STAMPING

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Anyone familiar with the "Foreign" stamping?....can't get a Photo,stamping is mostly hidden.
There is a stick figure with what looks like a Fish on the Big Blade,on the pile side "Finest Sheffield Steel"
Pen Blade has the "Foreign" Stamping....nice Little Knife except the small nail nick is broken out at the top...seen this a few times.
History of the Ship Pictured is interesting in itself.
Attachments
DSC06315.JPG
DSC06309.JPG
DSC06312.JPG
DSC06314.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
kootenay joe

Re: "FOREIGN" STAMPING

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few knives marked "Foreign". I once posted about this on BF but received no information about it. I think the knives are German made.
kj
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Catt there was quite a bit of discussion about the Foreign tang stamp and its origins on the thread linked below. Hope this helps.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 47#p143347
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Thank You Joe and Philco....

The Knife is from the early 30's to 1939 when She was converted to a Troopship...

'"Monarch of Bermuda' (1931) was, quite literally, a first-class ship, having provision for 830 first-class passengers only. She was built by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle, for Furness, Withy & Co, with two masts, three funnels, and four propellers and registered at Hamilton, Bermuda, and employed on the New York – Bermuda service. In 1939 it was converted to a troopship and operated by the Ministry of War Transport. Among other wartime exploits, it took part in the Norway campaign, shipped Britain's gold reserves to Halifax, Canada, and was involved in the invasion of North Africa. During its re-conversion at Newcastle in 1947, it was virtually destroyed by fire and towed, a burnt-out hulk, to the Firth of Forth. It was rebuilt with one funnel and accommodation for 1,600 single-class passengers. Acquired by the Ministry of Transport as an emigrant ship and renamed ‘New Australia’ it was used on the UK – Australia emigrant service. In 1958 it was sold to the Greek Line, renamed ‘Arkadia’ and re-fitted to carry 150 first- and 1,150 tourist-class passengers. In December 1966 it arrived at Valencia for scrapping.
Read more at http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collection ... ITRmHz0.99"
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

It is my understanding that most of the knives stamped "foreign" are German made for export to England. A result of bad the post WWI sentiment in England towards Germany and German made goods. This allowed the goods to be marketed in England without the anti-German post war stigma.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”