Schrade steel

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Tsar Bomba

Schrade steel

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I have a recent Schrade 206 and a number of other similarly-aged Schrade Barlows (GDB-1, Scrimshaw series) of identical build that I am working into my carry rotation more. The 206 itself is among the sharpest Barlows I have, and all it took from me to get it there was a few hits on a steel and about five swipes aside on a strop. I am trying to get as much information as I can into what sort of steel Schrade was using on these knives (and, more in general, Schrade's history of steel use) but AAPK's information about Schrades seems weighted towards the older and rarer knives I have not as of yet been able to afford or locate. ::paranoid:: I was wondering if any of you Schrade experts know of a reference to the specific compositions of steel Schrade used in this era, or even overall?
Schrade 206
Schrade 206
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Schrade steel

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I'm pretty sure the schrade + steel is 440A. Very well heat treated I might add and so easy to get sharp.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Maybe Eric knows for sure but I have always heard it was 440C with possibly a little something added so they could call it their "proprietary blend."
I have always had good edge retention from my Schrade+ stainless, better in my opinion than I could get from 440A.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Except for the Heritage and scrimshaw versions, I thought these barlows were non-stainless?
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:Except for the Heritage and scrimshaw versions, I thought these barlows were non-stainless?
I just now looked at the picture and noticed no + and some staining around the pivot. I think you are correct.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::shrug:: I read in another forum that Schrade used 1095 in their high carbon blades? Don't know for sure however. I have a bunch of USA made Schrades and they all perform great. Also read in the same forum that they used 440A and 440HC in the stainless steel blades? ::shrug:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

That's a straight up Schrade (no +) so 1095 steel, heat treated and tempered to perfection ::tu:: hence, easy to sharpen and holds its edge like no other steel I've used.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

They are 1095 ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”