Camillus Yello Jaket What is it?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kodybalody

Camillus Yello Jaket What is it?

Post by kodybalody »

This is what I believe to be a 3 blade whittler. It has Yello Jaket on the blade. I have yet to find this model knife anywhere except one picture with the bee inset missing. Can someone help me identify what I have here. It has all the similarities as the 72Y except a different handle. I am fairly new at this so maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
montemojo

Re: Camillus Yello Jaket What is it?

Post by montemojo »

Welcome to AAPK Kody, thats a beautiful knife. You need to show pics of the secondary blades. To find out the model. I am no expert but it looks like a 72 to me. Someone who knows more will come around and give you more information. You're at the right place they are many here that really like that pattern. Again welcome.

Monte
kodybalody

Post by kodybalody »

Thanks Here is a couple more photos.
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe that was the last version of the Camillus Yello Jaket made.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Yep, what Dale said. That be a Camillus 72 yellow jacket alright. Very cool!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kodybalody

Post by kodybalody »

Are these that scarce that there are almost no pictures out there?
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I for one think they are. One more thing try not to open blades on opposite sides of the knife if they use the same backspring. This puts stress on the backspring that could damage the knife.

Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I fudged, what I meant was try not to open blades on opposite sides of the knife that use the same backspring at the same time.I think thats more understandable

Monte
kodybalody

Post by kodybalody »

Thanks I'll try to remember that. Where do I find production numbers on this knife. Information on this particular knife is very elusive. I would also like to find a reasonable value.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I wish I could help but I dont know enough about camillus. There are a few here that I think can answer your questions. I'm sure They will chime in when they get a chance. It might take a day or so sometimes you have to be patient.

Monte
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I don't know much about this knife, but now I want one.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

edge213 wrote:I don't know much about this knife, but now I want one.
Prepare for a long and frustrating search. These don't pop up very often. I was lucky and Tommy sent one to me. Thank you Tommy (carrmillus) if it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have one. Tommy is responsible for several hard to find 72s in my collection and I will be forever grateful.

This is what long time Camillus employee, Tom Williams (now deceased) had to say about the knife.

"Jerry,
Nice hearing from you. I remember seeing these knives in the factory around the early 2000's, maybe 2002-2003. They may have been a special knife that Camillus made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. We made many knives for SMKW using available parts. For several years Camillus owned 50% of Smoky Mountain Knife Works and knives made for them were very reasonably priced since Camillus would share the profits when the knives were sold.
You will not find this knife or any other knife made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works in any of the Camillus catalogs. They may have been in SMKW's catalogs.
I hope this information is helpful.
Tom"
Camillus_72-Yello-Jaket.JPG
Oh yeah, and by the way...................
Attachments
Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kodybalody

Post by kodybalody »

Thank You Jerry and your friend Tom I will head in that direction, very good information.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:
edge213 wrote:I don't know much about this knife, but now I want one.
Prepare for a long and frustrating search. These don't pop up very often. I was lucky and Tommy sent one to me. Thank you Tommy (carrmillus) if it hadn't been for you I wouldn't have one. Tommy is responsible for several hard to find 72s in my collection and I will be forever grateful.

This is what long time Camillus employee, Tom Williams (now deceased) had to say about the knife.

"Jerry,
Nice hearing from you. I remember seeing these knives in the factory around the early 2000's, maybe 2002-2003. They may have been a special knife that Camillus made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works. We made many knives for SMKW using available parts. For several years Camillus owned 50% of Smoky Mountain Knife Works and knives made for them were very reasonably priced since Camillus would share the profits when the knives were sold.
You will not find this knife or any other knife made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works in any of the Camillus catalogs. They may have been in SMKW's catalogs.
I hope this information is helpful.
Tom"

Camillus_72-Yello-Jaket.JPG
Oh yeah, and by the way...................
.............jerry, would you believe that I had forgotten I gave you that knife??...........I remember having one of them at one time, but I didn't remember sending it to you!....... ::facepalm:: ...............

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”