Laguiole folding knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Hukk

Post by Hukk »

I pretty much go with how it feels while I'm using it. I have found that I don't really like a Case or Bulldog 4 1/8 inch trapper, but Wendell Carrson's Fight'n Bull Swayback trapper at about the same length is great. On the thinner handled trappers the 3 7/8 inch trapper (dogleg or serpentine handle) feels good to use. On the other hand, Case Seahore Whittler at 4 1/8 inch is just fine, the Bulldog Warncliffe Whittler at 4 1/8 and 3 7/8 is just fine, but the 3 1/8 or 3 1/4 inch is a disaster waiting to happen. A stockman must be at least 3 5/8 inches to be comfortable, even a 4 1/4 inch stockman is fine if the job is big enough to warrant using it.

I really like a Barlow at 3 7/8 inches, those 3 1/2 inch knives just feel wrong.

Over the years I've found what I like and don't like and most times now I can look at a knife and tell if it will be a decent user for me.

So, that's how I came to know what I like, how it feels in my hand while using it. ::tu::
Hukk
Ringmaster

Post by Ringmaster »

I agree completely, Hukk.

The 54 pattern knives are a pleasure to hold and admire - but if I wanna cut something, I prefer a lot of knives over it.

I DID like the old tobacco series of Bulldog Barlows, with the spear point master. Maybe it has more to do, with the handle design, I guess ?

I could never be an engineer, I guess. It's so "hit or miss", to me. Fr'instance, the 65 pattern folding hunter feels much better, with one blade, instead of 2. Maybe that's one reason the big-name makers get the big bucks ?

I didn't mean to change the topic, I've just wondered about the balance question, for a long time. I hate it, when I'm unbalanced !

Back to Laguiole...
JR
"A knife without a blade, for which the handle is missing."
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”