Copperhead

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Edgewise

Copperhead

Post by Edgewise »

Reading about knife pattern history recently, I saw that the Copperhead bolster is shaped like the snake head to protect the pocket from the tang edge.
Is the Copperhead the only knife pattern designed to protect the pocket, and why was the copperhead a popular pattern of soldiers in Vietnam?
The Canoe bolsters are similarly shaped but no mention was made about the purpose of covering the tangs. Are the Canoe bolsters shaped for that same reason?
Why is the sowbelly stockman handle different from the normal stockman? Is pocket comfort also the reason for the sowbelly shape?
I need a pocket friendly pattern knife because my pockets are being frayed by exposed tangs and square bolsters, but I may have to buy another knife so I want to be sure about the pocket protection. Knife pouches are too bulky in the pocket and too "visible" on the belt.
My beautiful German Eye large Stockman in stag is too hard on my pockets. :(
There seems to be more info on blade patterns than on handle patterns and the reasons behind them.
Thanks.
PS please don't recommend a Victorinox Bantam or a Kershaw Leek. I'm an ole timer. ::tu::
msteele6

Re: Copperhead

Post by msteele6 »

The most common method used by knife makers to protect the inside of pockets from wear due to the sharp tang is what are called "sunk" joints. In this design the tangs are actually BELOW the liners therefore there is no danger of them damaging the pocket. This method is used on various patterns. Robeson Cutlery actually had a line of pocket knives called "Pocketeze" which incorporated this design into many patterns.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The Copperhead pattern is a pretty good choice for pocket-protection. I've also had great luck with my 6318PU, which dispenses with the spey for a punch and, while not sporting fully-sunken joints, has a Turkish clip blade and a reduced stockman profile that meets next to no resistance going into or coming out of the watch pocket. I also have a "pocket-worn" 6318 with the spey that doesn't fray my fibers in the slightest. There is a little room to file down the kick on the sheepsfoot without issues, as well.
26556809203_2cf4d5fbb2_k.jpg
Are the joints on the GEC #25 sunken? That would make another excellent candidate.
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Edgewise, I like the Case Copperlock as a comfortable and useful EDC knife. It is a single blade knife that comes with a clip blade or a wharncliff blade. There is a mini version (3 5/8) and a regular version (4 1/4). It has a very slim profile and a copperhead bolster that covers the tang edge. It is available in a large variety of handle materials.

Canal Street made a knife called a Cannitler that might also interest you. It has 3 blades (spear, spey, sheepfoot) in a canoe-like frame. These are a little difficult to locate since Canal Street shut down. I enjoy carrying this knife.

In the pictures below you will see the tang on the copperlock is completely covered by the bolster. On the cannitler the tang peeks above the bolster ever so slightly. If you fidget with stuff in your pockets you will notice this, but I doubt it would be a serious wear & tear issue for you pants pockets.
Attachments
Copperlock
Copperlock
Cannitler
Cannitler
Cannitler
Cannitler
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

You may also have luck with 70s-era Case 62191 canoes, which are single-spring and have both tangs covered up by the bolsters. They are plentiful on the secondary market, vanish in the pocket and fit in most watch pockets easily. I didn't really have a good angle on my 4-dot brown bone canoe while closed, so I'm including a photo of a 90s-era (twin-spring) 62191 closed to show its profile.
Case 62191 4-dot canoe (1976) jigged brown bone
Case 62191 4-dot canoe (1976) jigged brown bone
Case 62191 SS canoe (1999) smooth chestnut Appaloosa bone
Case 62191 SS canoe (1999) smooth chestnut Appaloosa bone
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I don't have answers to most of your questions but what you are looking for is knives with sunken joints. I'm not sure what a Google search would turn up as sunken joints are rarely, if ever, part of a knife's description on dealer pages. You might try a Google search though.

Since you like the your Stockman, I'll post a couple of Case Stockmans with sunken joints.

Humpback Stockman. Nice size and shape with a Spear main blade instead of the more common Clip blade.
IMG_2962.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG
6090 pattern.
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2908.JPG
If you have the funds, The Case/Bose Norfolk is a really sweet knife with sunken joints.
IMG_2736.JPG
IMG_2739.JPG
Those are just a few suggestions but there are several patterns out there.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sorry, I didn't see that sunken joints had already been mentioned. :oops:
Rick T.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Railsplitter wrote:Sorry, I didn't see that sunken joints had already been mentioned. :oops:
No problem. You've posted some excellent examples. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks, Phil!
Rick T.

Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Many thanks to all.
I have a lot to consider now and some great pictures to help.
The canoe bolsters look like twin copperheads and that cannitler set me drooling.
I have a better idea of what to look for now, and I think the Case Humpback is my best bet for a pocket friendly stockman.
I don't know how I missed that one. I wonder if they built them that way for pockets.
Thanks for all the pictures. ::tu::
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

I thought it was called a copperhead because the bolster is "Hershey kiss" shaped like the pattern of the copperhead as viewed from the side. Anyway, I love my mini copperlock. Here is mine next to a full size trapper for comparison. And a copperhead!
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG (35.46 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
IMG_1297.JPG
JB
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A word on sunk joints: they are not common and they are not as strong as a regular joint. Hence sunk joints are primarily seen on vintage Pen knives intended for the 'dressy' Gent rather than on bigger 'work' Jacks.
kj
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Thanks for the snake picture Metalhead. Now I know exactly how the knife got its name. Actually, "Hershey kiss" is probably a more universal name though not as suitable for a knife. :)
I'm still checking out pocket friendly knives, believe it or not, but knife pictures on the internet don't often show the knife closed.
I'm also looking at the saddlehorn and sowbelly now but I'm not sure if they have the sunken joints.
I have a Steel Warrior saddlehorn with a copperhead bolster and it's a beautiful knife but I'm hoping for something similar with better steel. Change the steel to D2, put a lanyard hole and it would be an awesome knife.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sadlehorn, Whittier, Sowbelly
Sadlehorn, Whittier, Sowbelly
image.jpeg
Looks like I need a Copperhead to complete the selection.
cato

Post by cato »

i think the 49 is a great work knife, i pack a 70s model always
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:The Copperhead pattern is a pretty good choice for pocket-protection. I've also had great luck with my 6318PU, which dispenses with the spey for a punch and, while not sporting fully-sunken joints, has a Turkish clip blade and a reduced stockman profile that meets next to no resistance going into or coming out of the watch pocket. I also have a "pocket-worn" 6318 with the spey that doesn't fray my fibers in the slightest. There is a little room to file down the kick on the sheepsfoot without issues, as well.

26556809203_2cf4d5fbb2_k.jpg
Are the joints on the GEC #25 sunken? That would make another excellent candidate.
I have found that most modern cases are pretty easy on the pocket. The reason being that they tumble the blades for their mirror finish and it makes the tang well rounded and smooth, the downside is that it also does the same to the tip ::disgust:: The as ground knives have much sharper edges (not the cutting edge) and tips.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Good to know. I have a couple Cases with polished blades where the blades seem to have been rounded off and it annoys me to no end. The blades on my as-ground knives are quite well-defined, though, as are my "new grind" Cases from the mid-80s for some reason.
ImageImageImageImage
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Beautiful knives all. I have never had Case's version of the copperhead, but I sure like the looks of them.

My favorite Copperhead pattern is the Carl Schlieper, both the eye brand marked ones and the Jim Bowie marked ones. Here's a Jim Bowie with a Kentucky shield. 3 3/4 inches long and real sharp carbon steel.
IMG_2527.JPG
IMG_2528.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I love that this thread came full-circle back to the title subject after I helped derail it. ::rotflol::

These are the two knives that converted me to the ways of the copperhead. The grooved bone (bone stag?) Boker was my first, and I liked it so much I bought the beer barrel Boker sight-unseen. Haven't regretted it in the slightest. I carried the new one for a week straight and made the skinner blade my own. This pattern is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.
32282212572_dedc30f225_k.jpg
32393571036_e14042ccde_k.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

We don't see many Boker, Germany knives posted here, so little Boker discussion. My experience with both vintage & recent Boker knives is 100% positive. They have high standards, very good quality control and quite reasonable prices for new ones.
Boker seems to have been able to survive the onslaught of Far East knives without compromising quality.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I posted in another thread about what I believe is a "survival mechanism" geared towards that very thing, Roland. I expressed some displeasure with the marketing of Boker's "Germany" knives which are (supposedly) German-forged blades and parts shipped to, assembled, and packaged in the Far East. These are the knives that run about half of what the Solingen-manufactured knives do yet come in these ostentatious felt-lined presentation boxes instead of the cardboard 2-piece packaging the Solingen knives do. I have one, a tortoise-shell acrylic trapper. It is a nice knife, though butter-knife dull from the box, and it is a perfectly fine $20-25 knife, but I don't think it's in the same realm as the Solingen stuff. My secret wish is that Boker would drop the "Germany" subterfuge, chop $5 or so off the price, and use one of the "known" China brands like Plus or Magnum to simplify the marketing -- and maybe swap the packaging strategy so that the more "worthy" knives get the fancy lids. :mrgreen:

I have a few of the Solingen knives now, and all of them are exceedingly good knives, capable of standing with the best I've seen from the "non-premium" American cutlers (basically: anybody but GEC, CSC, or customs). I am effusive with praise over that beer barrel copperhead (and the matching Congress, as I discovered) and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another new-stock Boker. Which is good, because apparently they have a LOT of copperheads (including some from the aforementioned "Germany-but-not-really" line).
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I think the Case 49 Copperhead is probably my second favorite Case pattern, particularly the ones that include a wharncliffe blade.
(Yes, Tony...I am a very sick man, indeed. Apparently, my affliction is incurable and my obsession insatiable. ::cb:: )
P1230454.JPG
This Queen #41L Abalone Copperhead w/ liner lock is perhaps the best made Queen knife I have ever owned.
P1230462.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I have this economy line Queen Copperhead. The blade selection is different from the Case obviously.
Attachments
DSCN0815.JPG
steve99f
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

QTCut5 wrote:I think the Case 49 Copperhead is probably my second favorite Case pattern, particularly the ones that include a wharncliffe blade.
(Yes, Tony...I am a very sick man, indeed. Apparently, my affliction is incurable and my obsession insatiable. ::cb:: )
It seems to be contagious, too. My jaw dropped at that stag Wharnie copperhead (with pen?) with the long pull. I've never seen that combination of blades and the long pull just makes that knife amazing.

I think I might actually concentrate on the Bokers for a bit, I narrowly missed out on an etched stag version and I am eyeing one or two bone Solingen new-stock copperheads which might have to grab some bench for a bit as I navigate the upcoming GEC production schedule.

If they release a run of copperheads I'm screwed. ::facepalm:: :mrgreen:
steve99f wrote:I have this economy line Queen Copperhead. The blade selection is different from the Case obviously.
Bokers have the same clip/skinner blade combo by default. I have yet to see a variation on that. The yeller Queen is awfully nice too but I mustn't let myself be so tempted. ::mdm::
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Tsar: You bring up a good point, has GEC ever made a copperhead? I don't recall seeing that pattern in their line. Would be a must have in their Northfield line. Clip or wharnecliffe and pen blade or clip and skinner, either way as long as they are swedged. Bone, stag and wood for handles. Well, you can dream. :D
steve99f
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That would be a "drop everything" knife, I think, Steve. I like where your head's at. ::nod:: ::tu::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”