Background Info: 1982 6292 Cincinnati Union Terminal ??

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
woseyjales

Background Info: 1982 6292 Cincinnati Union Terminal ??

Post by woseyjales »

Recently acquired this 1982 Case 6292 jack.
Has blade etch of locomotive at tip's end facing towards tang end followed by Cincinnati Union Terminal over 1931-1982.
plain serial number right front bolster 143.
Other than that seems to be regular production 6292.
Case & Son has no info on that version.
I'm hoping a 92 pattern and/or Ohioan Collector will have more background info.
I imagine it has something to do with a 5oth anniversary even though 31-82 comes out 51 yrs. (??) unless the C.U.T. was built in 31 and burned to the ground in 82 or converted to a roller rink.....
Of course big question is who made the special edition Case for whatever C.U.T. event it was, more than about the C.U.T. itself.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Attachments
6292Bldetch#143.jpg
6292FrntOpO82.jpg
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I don't know about the knife but I used to ride a TANK bus into the Union Terminal in 1974 thru 1976. There were some shops there but the main business was buses from Kentucky into downtown. and then back over the bridge to kentucky. 8) It cost a quarter for the ride. I know it is not open now so maybe that was when it closed. That is all of the info I have. I would like to have one of those knives to remember it myself. Most folks rode the buses because it was cheaper to park in Ky. and ride the bus than pay the Cin. parking and fight the traffic. ::tu::
Tom
norsefan12

Post by norsefan12 »

Tom: I believe that you have your terminals mixed up, Union terminal was where the trains arrived and departed. I remember leaving for my high school senior trip from there and later "boot camp". It closed around the time listed on the Case Knife being discussed. It is now home to a museum. My granddaughter took a field trip there this past year. Many of the murals that were displayed in the old terminal are now in the Greater Cincinnati Airport.
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

Thanks for the C.U.T. info fellas.
Train depot does make more sense with the locomotive on the blade etch instead of a bus. lol
So the train depot closed about 1981? Hmmmm the plot thickens...

Now if we can just figure out who had them etched & N'd we'll have it made. Even the Case rep is curious! lol
Closest 6292 reference he had was to a 1985 Texas Anniversary edition of some type.
Thanks again.
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

Still needing info re: who produced this C.U.T. knife, thanks.
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

hey wosey, i've looked in several commemorative books....nuttin. i checked case, frost, smkw, just nuttin. sorry.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

Thank ye kindly for the effort, Johnny.
Guess it's time for me to do a Google search for
"Greater Cincinatti Cutlery Historical Society"...

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”