Tang Stamps Charts

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifegirl888

Re: Tang Stamps Charts

Post by knifegirl888 »

Richartz, Gebruder & Soehne used a whale as a stamp. BL4 states Solingen-Ohligs Germany 1900-pres.
"Making miracles is hard work, most people give up before they happen." - Sheryl Crow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Kathy. Here's a little Richartz with the whale stamp. (would the person who gifted this knife to me, please jog my memory)
Attachments
Richartz Blackwood Mini 2 - Germany -- Handle.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
keithw

Post by keithw »

I've noticed several people in different posts ask about a tang stamp chart for Carl Schlieper / German Eye knives.
Ray (Paladin) has helped me many times with Eye questions, and I compiled a chart (sort of).
As most of you know, you can't say "Eye Brand knives used this tang stamp from 19xx to 19xx".
You have to take several things into account (tang stamp, shield, etch, etc.).

Here is what I came up with, I hope you find it useful.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
junebug

Post by junebug »

8) ::ds:: AWESOME!
THANKS ,KEITH !!
THIS IS WHAT "WE" ARE LOOKING FOR IN THIS THREAD!!!

NOT , JUST A PIC OF A KNIFE ,OR ONE SINGLE STAMP.......HENCE THE TITLE "TANG STAMP CHARTS" ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
mansolingen

Post by mansolingen »

keithw wrote:I've noticed several people in different posts ask about a tang stamp chart for Carl Schlieper / German Eye knives.
Ray (Paladin) has helped me many times with Eye questions, and I compiled a chart (sort of).
As most of you know, you can't say "Eye Brand knives used this tang stamp from 19xx to 19xx".
You have to take several things into account (tang stamp, shield, etch, etc.).

Here is what I came up with, I hope you find it useful.
011.JPG
Would this be considerd a straight line stamp ?
mansolingen

Post by mansolingen »

006.JPG
keithw

Post by keithw »

mansolingen,

Even though they share some common tang stamps, I don't think you can apply any of the same rules to fixed blade Schlieper knives. I've seen lots of variations with them. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Thanks,
Keith
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
-- Mike Tyson
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Here is a chart for dating Ka-Bar knives. I always struggled dating Ka-Bar and I borrowed this from Voyles.

KA-BAR Knives and dating them:

1898-Tideoute Cutlery Co. formed in Tideoute, PA

1902-Factory purchased by Wallace Brown, Started in Tideoute, PA as Union Razor Company

Union Razor Company, Tideoute mark used 1902-1909 (Equivalent in Case language--Case Brothers, W. R. Case &SON)

Union Cutlery Co. Tideoute marked knives were only made 1898-to approx. 1912. (Equivalent in Case language--Case Brothers, W. R. Case & Sons)

Union Cutlery Co. with North American outline 1912-1923 (Equivalent in Case language: W. R. Case & Sons, Case Bradford PA)

Union Cutlery Co. Olean, NY 1912 first used.

OLCUT, and Keenwell also used first in the 20's.

After 1923--KA-BAR on main blade, and Union Cutlery Co. Olean, NY on either the back of the blade if a single blade, or on one of the smaller blades. These will be referred the Union mark. If I state the Union mark it means the blade will be stamped "Union Cutlery Co. Olean, NY" (Equivalent in Case Language: Case Tested)

After 1952 Union Cutlery Co. is no longer marked on the knives. (Equivalent in Case Language: XX and USA)

Kabar, USA was changed to in 1951

In the 70's a pattern number was added between the Kabar and the USA. (Equivalent in Case language: Case dots)
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Regarding Schlieper Eye Brand knives does anyone know how far back this branding goes ? Have you ever seen an old one, meaning likely made before WW II ?
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

LG-IV dates Carl Schlieper to 1769.

I have personally never seen one I thought was prior to WWII and certainly not 18th or 19th century.

I suspect there is a lot of research that could be done on the brand.

I do know one thing, their knives are first rate in materials and construction.

I have a very large "Sodbuster" style knife that my Dad gave me in 1961. Whether that predates Case's Sod Buster pattern, I do not know.

This knife has the strongest backspring I have ever encountered.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:LG-IV dates Carl Schlieper to 1769.

I have personally never seen one I thought was prior to WWII and certainly not 18th or 19th century.

I have a very large "Sodbuster" style knife that my Dad gave me in 1961. Whether that predates Case's Sod Buster pattern, I do not know.

Charlie
Charlie,
I have always maintained that Schlieper made the 1st sodbuster pattern based on design by Forest Cruse. Somehow the name was not copywrited, trade marked or whatever. According to the Dobbs article, Cruse did copywrite or trade mark the El Gallo name in 1956, so I know he was aware of the process.
I have seen only one or two Eye Brand knives that I suspected were made prior to WWII.
Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What we call a 'Sod Buster' is Case's copy of a vintage German farmer's knife, single blade, wood handle, top bolsters, with a spearpoint-like blade, that goes back to at least 1900. These were made by many Solingen knife manufacturers. Schlieper began making the Sod Buster we know maybe in 1950's ? Were they making this German farmer's knife type pattern in 1900 ? Who knows ??
kj
Mason

Post by Mason »

Paladin wrote:
RobesonsRme.com wrote:LG-IV dates Carl Schlieper to 1769.

Charlie
Charlie,
I have always maintained that Schlieper made the 1st sodbuster pattern based on design by Forest Cruse. Somehow the name was not copywrited, trade marked or whatever. According to the Dobbs article, Cruse did copywrite or trade mark the El Gallo name in 1956, so I know he was aware of the process.
I have seen only one or two Eye Brand knives that I suspected were made prior to WWII.
Ray
While the sodbuster pattern does not show up in a pre WWII Schlieper catalog, they were available from F. Herder in the early 1900s and look very similar to Schlieper models.

And yes, you are correct that pre WWII Schlieper knives are uncommon but do exist here in the US.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There are also Schlieper fixed blades that were made for Schlieper in Japan. They still can have "Solingen" marked on them but not with "Made In" (Solingen or Germany). The two i have seen had "Japan" marked on the back tang. Both were of high fit & finish, classy looking knives.
The "Trophy" line shown above by a few posts, marked "Surgical Stainless" are knives that i have wondered if made 100% in Germany or if some or all of these "Trophy Line" knives are a Japan contract.
Anyone know for sure ? No guessing, no assumptions.
kj
Kyreds57

Post by Kyreds57 »

Well I will have to say that this is 1 of the best if not the best posts of all time! Just a great ideal! Thanks for posting this!!! ::tu::
Always move finger before closing Knife!!!
snocamp

Post by snocamp »

This is some very good info,, Thanks all for your effort putting this thread together.
chrisbray1954

Post by chrisbray1954 »

Great stuff you guys, managed to accurately date a 1952 SAK Farmer.
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Case Select.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Fight'n Rooster does not have a "Tang Stamp Chart"
Actually the Fight'n Rooster Knives only have three (3) different blade tank stamps throughout its entire production run.
One cannot know what actual year his/her knife was made, only a grouping of year runs, with the exception of course of some master blades having a production date, and many having this date often with how many were produced.

The first stamp used on Fight'n Rooster knives (rear tang) was Frank Buster Cutlery Company Germany. The front of the blade was stamped with the two Rooster Trademark and the word Solingen underneath the roosters. There was no wording above the Roosters.
Used from 1977 - 1982.
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
In 1982 the rear tang stamp was changed to Frank Buster Celebrated Cutlery Germany. The front stamp had the words Fight'n Rooster added above the two roosters.
The vast majority of Fight-n Rooster knives have this stamping, and are known as (Celebrated)
Used from 1982 - 1994.
IMG_0003 (2).JPG
IMG_0004 (2).JPG
The rear stamp was changed in late 1994 to Frank Buster & Son Celebrated Cutlery Germany. The front rooster stamp did not change.
Used from late 1994 - Through last production.
DSCN4511 (2).JPG
DSCN4510 (2).JPG
DSCN4510 (2).JPG (54.27 KiB) Viewed 22229 times
You will on occasion discover other Fight'n Rooster stamps, but they are not common and will not necessarily increase the value.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

I'm not sure if this can ever help anyone,but...
The most complete catalog of stamps of Russian producers I have seen. From the beginning 19th century to the present day. In Russian.

http://bladeforum.ru/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3165
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I ran across his Boker tang stamp chart from Knife World, November 2009. The chart is posted on AAPK and posted in two parts ion the very first page of this topic. However, the AAPK search engine could not pick up the post of the Boker tang stamps because the words "Boker tang stamps" were not in the text of the post, only in the JPEG file. The search engine only finds words listed in text not words in JPEG files.
Boker Tangs – from Knife World November 2009.jpg
A suggestion for everyone listing tang stamp charge from this point forward; in addition to any pictures you want to post also described what it is, e.g. "Boker Tang Stamps" so that the search engine can more easily find out the chart and save someone looking through pages and pages of tang stamp charts.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ray (Paladin) wanted this here and it wouldn't cooperate with him so.............
Attachments
Bear MGC - Bear & Son Dating System (7-3-18).JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a Bear and Son with the date on it.....
Damascus 1.JPG
Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
littleoasis

Post by littleoasis »

I am assuming there were a totally different set of tang stamps on Case Scissors. I can't seem to locate a reference to these. Is there a ref. guide? Or does anyone recognize the age of this Scissor stamp? The font reminds me of 1928 Case Knives. I have searched until I'm blue in the face....Any help will give me the option to go on to sleep or continue with the www. THX littleoasis
Attachments
DSCF0240.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”