Case 25 Cent knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifer-one

Case 25 Cent knife

Post by knifer-one »

DSCN2812.JPG
037.JPG

I pulled this out of the safe today. Any body have one like it? can you post pix to compare? I checked my old knife books,but nothing other than a black and white photo and generic description.
Attachments
DSCN2830.JPG
olderdogs1

Re: Case 25 Cent knife

Post by olderdogs1 »

I do not have one of these 25 cent knives, sure wish I did. But an interesting conversation developed at the Sheperdsville knife show that I would like the experts to weigh in on. I was told by a extremely knowledgable knife dealer that Case never made the 50 cent, 75 cent, or 1.00 knife during the depression as I have read many times in some knife books.
He, along with others said that the 25 cent knife was the only one produced.
Comments???? ::shrug::

Tom
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

olderdogs1 wrote:I do not have one of these 25 cent knives, sure wish I did. But an interesting conversation developed at the Sheperdsville knife show that I would like the experts to weigh in on. I was told by a extremely knowledgable knife dealer that Case never made the 50 cent, 75 cent, or 1.00 knife during the depression as I have read many times in some knife books.
He, along with others said that the 25 cent knife was the only one produced.
Comments???? ::shrug::

Tom

Tom; I believe that what you heard is true. I have never seen nor heard of an original 50/75/1.00 knife. I think that they were a Jim Parker fantasy. I could be proven wrong but the 25 cent is the only one that I have seen and they are super rare. I also do not believe that the 25 cent knives are really depression era but much earlier than that.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Steve,

The same dealer also said that he had seen some 50 cent, 75 cent, & 1.00 knives with wooden handles that he believed were fake. Interesting that Parker would allude to their existence when he talks about Case History in most of his books.

Tom
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I took a look at Sargent's book just to see what he had to offer on the subject. He refers to a 25 cent knife and dates it from 1935 to 1940.
He also refers to a $1.00 knife but it is dated 1994, so probably not applicable to our discussion here.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
knifer-one

Post by knifer-one »

Thanks for the responses guys.I have also heard of the 50 and 75 cent knives,but no proof exists that I know of. I have seen other examples of the 25 cent knife though.
This one will most likely be put on E-Bay.
knifer-one

Post by knifer-one »

tommyboy wrote:Just curious..How much did that knife fetch?
It isn't listed yet.I think that the last one on ebay that I remember brought around300. That was a few years back.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

olderdogs1 wrote:Steve,

The same dealer also said that he had seen some 50 cent, 75 cent, & 1.00 knives with wooden handles that he believed were fake. Interesting that Parker would allude to their existence when he talks about Case History in most of his books.

Tom
Parker at one time was selling some German made "Case" 50/75/1.00 knives in his mail order catalogs in the 90's. Small wood handled one blade jacks. I don't know how he got away with that since that was long after he owned Case and I'm certain that Case would never have given him permission to use the CASE name. He sold them kind of "under the radar" though.

The only authentic Case 50/75/1.00 knives that I know of were the toothpicks in the Case Classics line.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

I have owned TWO "corter knives" in my day..
Both of which were "bought from" and "confirmed by" a MAJOR CASE Dealer..
The knife on ebay a few yrs back was ASKED $300 but never sold.
I bought the knife after the auction for 150 with the understanding
it could be returned if non authentic,,, it was NOT and was returned..

The knife on this thread looks questionable to me.
1) That does not look like an 06 frame (which the CORTER Knives) came on.
2) the tang should have a curve in it (similar to new grind tangs).

If the knife in this thread were mine, I'd be leery to sell as or claim
to be
a genuine "corter knife".. These are merely MY opinions..
knifer-one

Post by knifer-one »

Thanks to MrBlister for the opinion. As far as authenticity, I don't know. Thats why I am soliciting comments and photos. If it ain't right,I don't want to represent it as right.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Knife looks fine to me, it appears to have been cleaned and polished out.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

On page 225 of Jim Sergent's 1999 Edition of his "Knives & Razors" ID and Value Guide, he makes mention of the Case model 6106 as having been produced with a 25 cent and 50 cent tang stamp. While I thought there might be more, this was the only model shown as having those tang stamps as well as the only price stamps made.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Elvis wrote:On page 225 of Jim Sergent's 1999 Edition of his "Knives & Razors" ID and Value Guide, he makes mention of the Case model 6106 as having been produced with a 25 cent and 50 cent tang stamp. While I thought there might be more, this was the only model shown as having those tang stamps as well as the only price stamps made.
Yeah Bob you;re right, I have seen the 50 cent tang stamp shown in books, possibly even Dewey Ferguson's older books. So maybe the 50 cent knives do exist, but I have never seen one nor a photo of one.
knifer-one

Post by knifer-one »

It makes one wonder what would double the price of a knife with the same pattern.Especially in that era.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

knifer-one wrote:It makes one wonder what would double the price of a knife with the same pattern.Especially in that era.
Good point, if they were both the 6106. Must have been rampant inflation.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Something that might be noteworthy. When I was talking to the guys at Sheperdsville about these knives my expert said that he had asked Jim Sargent about the 50 cent knife and Jim said he THOUGHT he had seen one at some time.
So does the authentic 50 cent knife exist??
I want to make it clear that I am not questioning Jim Sargent. I know him to be a straight up person ::tu:: and I would believe what ever he told me. I am just wondering why no one actually has one.

Tom
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

olderdogs1 wrote:Something that might be noteworthy. When I was talking to the guys at Sheperdsville about these knives my expert said that he had asked Jim Sargent about the 50 cent knife and Jim said he THOUGHT he had seen one at some time.
So does the authentic 50 cent knife exist??
I want to make it clear that I am not questioning Jim Sargent. I know him to be a straight up person ::tu:: and I would believe what ever he told me. I am just wondering why no one actually has one.

Tom
Its an interesting mystery. I have also heard from a very knowledgeable collector that he had owned a 6229-1/2 with the 25c tang stamp, but I have never seen one in that pattern nor a picture of one.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Just to muddy the waters a little more.....I could swear I remember reading in one of my books that the 25 cent stamp was the only one ever used (i.e. no 50, 75 cent or $1.00) If I find it again I'll post that source. Steve, since the 6229-1/2 is so small, I can see where it might have been a candidate for a 25 cent knife, but like you say, the 6106 seems to be it (on paper). Sure would be nice to run into a 25 cent Tadpole for the collection.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Elvis wrote:Just to muddy the waters a little more.....I could swear I remember reading in one of my books that the 25 cent stamp was the only one ever used (i.e. no 50, 75 cent or $1.00) If I find it again I'll post that source. Steve, since the 6229-1/2 is so small, I can see where it might have been a candidate for a 25 cent knife, but like you say, the 6106 seems to be it (on paper). Sure would be nice to run into a 25 cent Tadpole for the collection.
To further muddy the waters, someone pointed out that the tang stamp chart in my book (it was provided by Case) includes both the 25c and 50c stamps. May not prove anything - I would still like to see a real in the flesh example of a 50c knife.
jljr1944

Post by jljr1944 »

I have seen several Case 25 cent re-pop knives for lack of a better term. I have been told that Parker had a bunch made up but I don't know if that is true or not. I know one older gentleman here locally who has two of the re-pops and they are obvious re-pops. I use the term re-pop or reproduction because I don't know if the knives were made with the intention of fooling anyone or not.
Can anyone verify if Parker did or didn't make any reproductions of the 25 cent knife?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”