warranty?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
shugy

warranty?

Post by shugy »

::hmm:: are craftsman knives under any kind of warranty?
Why am I in this handbasket and where are we goin?
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: warranty?

Post by garddogg56 »

I know my hand tools and socket set are ::nod:: I firmly believe any tool with the Craftsman name on it is warrantied for LIFE 8)
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

garddogg56 wrote:I know my hand tools and socket set are ::nod:: I firmly believe any tool with the Craftsman name on it is warrantied for LIFE 8)
I heard a rumor, and maybe that is all it is, that Sears quit replacing Craftsman tools? Has anyone taken anything in lately? Maybe it is just a false rumor, started when someone took in something obviously abused?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This should clear it up for just about anybody. Copied from: -- http://consumerist.com/2009/03/sears-cl ... ranty.html

Sears Clarifies Craftsman Tools Warranty

By cwalters on March 25, 2009 12:57 PM

Earlier this month, we noted how a reader was having trouble getting Sears to properly honor the lifetime warranty on his Craftsman tools. Now David Figler, a vice president of the company, has responded and said, "We stand behind the warranty—complete satisfaction—period." Below is his email, and a portion of the memo he sent to Sears stores on the matter.

I work at Sears Holdings to develop and promote Craftsman tools. I am sorry to hear that we did not get it right the first time Brian visited his Sears store for a Warranty exchange on Craftsman tools. Unfortunately, we do not always get 100% execution from all our associates on our warranty exchanges, although we are always striving towards it.

In response to your column, I have worked internally to be explicit on the issues pointed out to make sure we do not disappoint again. Craftsman tools have a heritage of performance and trust. I want to assure you and your readers we stand behind the warranty – complete satisfaction – period. Though disappointed with Brian's experience, I'm grateful that I could learn of it and take steps to prevent a similar mistake in our stores for the next customer. An excerpt from the internal communication to our store associates is below.

Subject: Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty

There have been several news articles and emails regarding customers being denied Craftsman Hand Tool exchanges for reasons that are not part of the warranty. We've had specific complaints of denied exchanges based on:

- Tools having rust on them

- A 3 Piece per day limit on exchanges

These are NOT valid reasons for denying our customers their right to exchange their Craftsman Tools under the Lifetime Warranty.

The warranty states: "If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state."

Our Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty is one of the most important competitive advantages we have in the market. It is crucial that we ensure all of our sales associates are trained to understand all the hand tools that are covered under this warranty.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

I am glad to hear that!
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

That's the warranty that keeps me goin' back! ::nod:: ::tu::

WB
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

In 40 years I have only once had to return a Craftsman tool - a quarter inch drive ratchet wrench - I received a direct exchange over the counter in the Craftsman tool department from a polite and apologetic sales associate. By the way, Lowe's is just as good with their warranty service (lot more Lowe's stores than Sears stores in this area).
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Many years ago, I found a Craftsman 3/8 drive ratchet laying in the street. It was missing the socket release button and the ball bearing that retained the socket so I gave it to a buddy. I never thought of taking it to Sears but my buddy did and ended up with a brand new ratchet handle, no questions asked.

In about 1956 or so, my dad dropped his Craftsman pocket knife and broke the tip off the main blade. During one of his regular Saturday visits to Sears, he was showing it to a salesman and the salesman asked to see it. When dad handed it over the salesman took it in the back and came back with a brand new one. Dad protested that he had dropped the knife but the salesman would have none of it and Dad walked out with a new knife.

All of that, along with Sears loyalty to their employees serving in the military makes Sears a great American tradition.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”