CASE XX 1940-64 63047 "sideplay in the main blade"

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
olderdogs1

CASE XX 1940-64 63047 "sideplay in the main blade"

Post by olderdogs1 »

I recently bought a mint 63047 stockman on ebay from a dealer I had had excellent results with in the past and in fact folks on this forum have always commently very favorably on.
I received the knife mint but the main blade had what I would call significant sideplay when fully open. I informed the dealer that I was returning the knife due to this problem. He said basically that the play was not unusual and the Case didn't check for wiggle when they shipped knives. He also said that bending the sheepfoot blade to fit, again at the factory, would likely cause some play.
I am still returning the knife but would like to know if this is considered not unusual in these knives.
This is the 1st knife I have returned in several hundred purchased on ebay so this is not a habit of mine. Most all of the XX knives I have bought have really tight blades, especially the ones that are mint.
Comments???

Tom
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASE XX 1940-64 63047 "sideplay in the main blade"

Post by treefarmer »

Being an amateur, I know very little about the manufactoring process of Case knives, however I feel that the blades are not bent after assembly so the would close properly. The seller must not have any common sense, that just doesn't make any sense at all. A Monday morning knife or a Friday afternoon knife still shouldn't get by some type of Quality control inspection at the factory. Just a thought. Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

ive had numerous of that model stockman and never had one in good shape with sideplay,the first time i toured the case plant i saw them a adjusting blades on stockmans after assembly and before hafting and was amazed at how hard they hit them with leather and brass hammers so i am sure i did happen,that was many years ago and i dont know if case still does it that way but i know queen does as i seen then beating up some mountain man patterns last year your knife might have been a lunch box knife
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

If the knife is mint as you say, consider sending it to Case Repair to get that wobble fixed. The age of the knife does not affect their repair policy. Just be sure to inform them that you do not want the blade replaced.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Thanks, Bob
I have already sent it back as the seller said if I was returning it he wanted it returned immediately.
I thought about sending it to Case but was afraid that they would repair it with new parts.
Will they repair a 50 year old knife if all it has is a loose blade? This particular knife was mint but 99.9% are not of course that are that old.

Tom
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

olderdogs1 wrote:Will they repair a 50 year old knife if all it has is a loose blade? This particular knife was mint but 99.9% are not of course that are that old.
Yep, sure will. I recently sent a Tested Era 9233 back to have the Cracked Ice Celluloid replaced and they didn't even blink an eye. I also sent a XX Barlow with a broken backspring in for repair that was otherwise mint. Now it IS mint. All you need to do is tell them that you don't want the blades or handles replaced and if it can be repaired without doing it, you can consider it done. Now if the knife needs a handle replacement you can't expect them to have any OLD Greenbone or OLD Redbone laying around so you'll get the closest thing they currently make to it. Also, no matter the handle material if the knife has a shield, the methods of pinning are long gone so you can either get a new (current day) shield or ask them to just leave it out. I've done this a few times when sending one in to have the old yellow celluloid replaced with Delrin. When in doubt just give them a call, but even after calling always include a note or letter explaining if the knife has sentimental value and that replacing certain parts would ruin that aspect of the knife for you. Even if it doesn't you can still specify how far you want them to go and the worst that can happen is that you'll just get your knife back as it was. There's also a slight chance that the specs on the knife have changed over the years. In which case the new parts won't work and you can opt to have it sent back "as is" or replaced with a new one. Either way, nobody can fix a Case Knife better than Case Repair

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”