CASE OFFICE KNIFE REAL OR REPRODUCTION?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
jww

CASE OFFICE KNIFE REAL OR REPRODUCTION?

Post by jww »

I have this Case Office Knife from the 1940-1964 era. I understand that there were some reproductions in the '70s made in Germany.
Are the tangs stamped with country of origin? Can anyone give me any specifics on this one. I hope my pictures are here. First time posting.
100_4952.JPG
100_4952.JPG
Thanks,
JWW
Attachments
100_4943.JPG
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASE OFFICE KNIFE REAL OR REPRODUCTION?

Post by knifeaholic »

What is the closed length? It is not a pattern that I have studied extensively so I am divided on that one based on the photos.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jww

Post by jww »

IT is a strong 3 3/4" closed. Both blades are stamped CASE over XX. No pattern number and the reverse tangs have nothing stamped.

Thanks JWW
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I would say that its a fake for two reasons. One, it looks to be too narrow as compared to the real thing:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

Two, no Case XX knives had both blades stamped (with a very few special exceptions).
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

It is fake as can be.
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Good call Steve! I owned one of the fakes once (gave it to a friend who swore never to sell it) and it looked dead-on that one. There were no country of origin markings, just the usual Case stamping of the day. And....you're absoutely correct in that the thickness is the first give-away. Length seems to be okay and the knife is even pretty well made. Last I heard that because of their quality, even though they are known fakes, they supposedly are worth $50 in mint condition to a lot of collectors (yeah, that didn't sound right to me either, but I've heard it more than once). ::shrug:: Not a bad knife, but not a Case.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

There are other brands using the exact same knife. I believe they are Winchester and Remington, maybe others. I have seen one German brand made with the same knife.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
BillyD

Post by BillyD »

I have one exactly like it made by Cattaraugus. Its not in as good of shape but it is the real thing. It also has both blades stamped and its 3-3/4" long, though its not a case the two company's were closely related but the blades seem differently shaped on mine. I had a post on it awhile back with better pics if you want to check it out
hope that helps,
Bill
BTW Steve or Bob, i wouldn't mind getn rid of mine cause i'm more of a stag or bone handle kinda guy. PM me if your interested
Attachments
IMAG0159.jpg
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

BillyD wrote:I have one exactly like it made by Cattaraugus. Its not in as good of shape but it is the real thing. It also has both blades stamped and its 3-3/4" long, though its not a case the two company's were closely related but the blades seem differently shaped on mine. I had a post on it awhile back with better pics if you want to check it out
hope that helps,
Bill
BTW Steve or Bob, i wouldn't mind getn rid of mine cause i'm more of a stag or bone handle kinda guy. PM me if your interested
BillyD,
Yours isn't the same. Compare the profiles of the two knives. The counterfiet Case is 'skinny' looking as opposed to yours having more of an oval shape.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
BillyD

Post by BillyD »

Gotcha.. your right I just meant its an example of what the style should look like but thx, I shoulda been more clear

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”