Questions on "forced patina"

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jigslinger

Re: Questions on "forced patina"

Post by Jigslinger »

tjmurphy wrote:I'm trying to figure out why you would want to chemically force a patina on a knife blade?? ::shrug:: If you use the knife it will come along naturally. And, most of the forced patina that I've seen are not very attractive. JMO
Well, one of the reasons is I'm a curious person and I wanted to check it out. Secondly, the knife in question is an really old bareheaded jackknife I bought off ebay. Someone had buffed the blades and 1) they were too shiny given the antique look of the knife, and 2) there were faint vertical buff marks on the blade I wanted to cover up. After hand rubbing the blades and removing a good deal of the patina, I am very satisfied with the overall look of the knife. She has a keen edge now and is currently in the EDC rotation. Probably won't do it again unless a similar situation comes up.
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."
oldgoat1911

Re: Questions on "forced patina"

Post by oldgoat1911 »

Every body is correct on methods...I like to help some of my carbon blades too. The only thing I have done differently was to polish with Flitz after treatment. Sometimes you can get some great results from repeating patina applications with the polish in between. It truly does protect if you oil at the end...Herb
Just remember that no matter where you go....there you are!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”