All About Pocket Knives

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:40 am 

I have a Camillus TL-29 that was my grandfathers, who passed away when I was very young. So my question to you guy's is this.....Is the knife military Issued??? From reading a very informative thread on this site I will describe it like this: It is a deep bail, five pin, black synthetic handle, three line engraved blade (Camillus, New York, USA), no number on reverse of blade, and most of all TL-29 is stamped/engraved into the handle. My son will be grateful for your help.......thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:13 am 

I see no reason to doubt the story that came with the knife. The one I was issued in 1972 matches your description except by then they weren't stamping TL-29 on them anymore.

A U.S. Veteran is someone who may not agree with what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:18 am 

Thanks Elvis.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:26 am 

It sounds like a post-WWII issue knife.

I was issued this one during Vietnam, about 1971.
Attachment:
My Marine Corps TL-29.jpg
My Marine Corps TL-29.jpg [ 116.37 KiB | Viewed 1705 times ]

Yours sounds the same except it has the stamp on the handle.
Yours should be military issue as TL-29 is military nomenclature short for: Tool, Linesman, #29.

Not military issue ones had that stamp, but I don’t think any made for the civilian market were marked with the military nomenclature.
Yours is no doubt military, or military surplus.

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... e37-y.html

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:51 am 

orvet wrote:
It sounds like a post-WWII issue knife.

I was issued this one during Vietnam, about 1971.
Attachment:
My Marine Corps TL-29.jpg

Yours sounds the same except it has the stamp on the handle.
Yours should be military issue as TL-29 is military nomenclature short for: Tool, Linesman, #29.

Not military issue ones had that stamp, but I don’t think any made for the civilian market were marked with the military nomenclature.
Yours is no doubt military, or military surplus.

There are the rusted remains of several of those on the bottom of the Tonkin Gulf. I float checked a bunch of 'em.

Never did get one to float. :mrgreen:

Float checked several chief petty officer hats too. That's another story. ::super_happy::

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 pm 

::dang:: When we were in Tiawan I was put on laundry duty. I accidently fell in the water with a bag of laundry. I was fished out but the bag sank. That float test didn't work either. I didn't think to much of it until one day the following week, several of the the officers on board thanked me for their new unifroms, including the captain. ::facepalm:: ftd

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 am 

fergusontd wrote:
::dang:: When we were in Tiawan I was put on laundry duty. I accidently fell in the water with a bag of laundry. I was fished out but the bag sank. That float test didn't work either. I didn't think to much of it until one day the following week, several of the the officers on board thanked me for their new unifroms, including the captain. ::facepalm:: ftd

LOL.

A particular Chief and I had had extreme difficulty seeing eye to eye on anything. He was a fat useless turd "lifer". Every time I saw one of his hats laying around, it went over the side. It was hilarious watching him wander around and ask everyone if they'd seen his hat.

I also float checked a lot of his junk. He thought he was going crazy. ::super_happy::

Profile Personal album