whittlers

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

whittlers

Post by carrmillus »

can't post pictures, so here goes- i have an old(1914-1941) camillus sleeveboard whittler which has two straight backsprings(not tapered)(no wedge)-the primary blade works off both backsprings, the secodary blades on the other end work off of 1 spring each. there is a small brass spacer which sits on top of the bcksprings which separates the secondary blades. i also have a 2009 schatt & morgan whittler which is built this way. does this brass spacer have a name, or is it just a spacer
FRJ

Re: whittlers

Post by FRJ »

In Steve Pfeiffer's book, Collecting Case Knives, he uses the interesting term "catch bit" in reference to a spacer on a knife that has a thin secondary blade. The catch bit is at the side of a blade and not between blades.
He refers to whittlers on page 34.

EDIT: Steve refers to this knife as having a catch bit. Do you see it to the side of the secondary blade with model number?
Picture hacked from ebay.
Attachments
catch bit.jpg
Joe
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

FRJ wrote:In Steve Pfeiffer's book, Collecting Case Knives, he uses the interesting term "catch bit" in reference to a spacer on a knife that has a thin secondary blade. The catch bit is at the side of a blade and not between blades.
He refers to whittlers on page 34.

EDIT: Steve refers to this knife as having a catch bit. Do you see it to the side of the secondary blade with model number?
Picture hacked from ebay.
Actually Joe in that particular Canoe there should be no catch bit - that is a newer one - post 1985 Case 131 pattern canoes all have two backsprings so there should be no catch bit. Catch bits are used for a single spring knife with one longer main blade and one small blade at the opposite end. What you are seeing may actually be a double liner on that side to give the blades more room. Though I did not think they used that on the canoes. I do not have a newer one handy to look at.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks for the correction, Steve.
It doesn't take much for me to get in over my head. Other than paste something out of your book I found that knife on ebay and thought it would help explain your meaning of catch bit.
Where did that term originate from? It's interesting.
I hope not to stray too far from carrmillus' whittler topic.
Joe
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

FRJ wrote:Thanks for the correction, Steve.
It doesn't take much for me to get in over my head. Other than past something out of your book I found that knife on ebay and thought it would help explain your meaning of catch bit.
Where did that term originate from? It's interesting.
I hope not to stray too far from carrmillus' whittler topic.
There was a 1930 Remington pocket knife catalog where they described the use of a catch bit and they made it sound as if it was a Remington innovation. I think I go into some detail in my book about the catch bit.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Steve.
Joe

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”