Novelty picture knife, N.C. Co, Canton, Ohio

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
rfuqua

Novelty picture knife, N.C. Co, Canton, Ohio

Post by rfuqua »

I'm doing genealogy & I've found this picture knife from about 1901. My question is about "Abram, TX". One side has 3 pictures & I know they are my grandmother & great grandfather. Written on one side is "A present from A.J. Martin to J.J. Martin, Abram, TX. A.J is my great grandfather & J.J. is my great-great grandfather. JJ lived in Hopkins Co, TX (way up NE Texas), and AJ in 1901 was with wife & kids, age 26, working in the coal mines in Indiana territory, OK. So what is "Abrams, TX"? where the knife was made? ordered from? I've been trying to read all the comments about the Vignos picture knives, so what the heck does "Abram, TX" mean? I'm hoping someone with old knife history can help me.
Attachments
Martin, J.J. knife with picture of man & little girl.jpg
Martin, J.J. knife with picture of man & little girl.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Martin, JJ  A present from A.J. Martin to J.J. Martin, Abram, Texas.jpg
Martin, JJ A present from A.J. Martin to J.J. Martin, Abram, Texas.jpg (29.42 KiB) Viewed 1743 times
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Novelty picture knife, N.C. Co, Canton, Ohio

Post by Paladin »

Here is a link to info about Abram, Texas. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... cles/hra04
It is a small community in far South Texas, near Mission, Texas.
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

::welcome:: Let`s see the knife with the blades open ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
rfuqua

Post by rfuqua »

My cousin in Memphis has possession of the knife; I only have a picture. He opened it up last night & said it is marked "N.C. Co Canton, Ohio".
rfuqua

Post by rfuqua »

Paladin, thanks for the info. I had already found this but my question still is, why put "Abram, Texas" on the knife? Abram was clearly way down in the south tip of Texas while the owners lived way up in the NE Texas. What is the connection to Abram, Texas? Could it have been somehow involved in the making of the knife? Is there some place to find that out?
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

Since those are custom scales on it the company that did it or arranged for it to have been done might have been there. It is also possible that your ancestors went there on vacation or something and this was a souvenir they had done.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

No factual evidence of anything to offer here, but at first glance it looks like the relative giving the knife may have lived in that small Texas when he had the knife made. Nothing more than an observation that could be wrong, but a wonderful piece of cutlery and family history you have there. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

The Novelty Cut Co and others sold thru the mail and thru agents. They would put your message, your artwork, their stock pictures on a knife. One or one hundred. They advertised in magazines. There were pamphlets with order forms.
Canton Ohio had several companys that made these types of knives.
Your knife might have been to comemorate a trip to Abram Texas.
Hope this helps. PS Great family heirloom
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
gino

Post by gino »

That is one cool knife! ::envy:: I dig it, what a piece of family history! ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
rfuqua

Post by rfuqua »

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts. I may never know the story of "Abram, Texas" but at least I have some "facts" now. I wish I had listened to my mother when she told the family stories.....anyway, my cousins & I have a great piece of family history; something to pass down to our children. Thanks again.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”