Pocket knife collection

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
trail

Re: Pocket knife collection

Post by trail »

Lexus, here is a link to a good starting point for thinking about knife storage. There is a lot of information about cleaning and storage in various threads, try using the search function at the top of the page which will bring up some good threads. You've got some great knives but I can see that some of them have started to deteriorate so now's the time to jump in there and give them the care they need. Your dad looks to have been a man of taste and discernment, great collection of knives.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... it=storage
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Welcome,
The leg knife and the bear and bull look like they are off gassing too!! See the tarnish on the bolsters? These will RUIN any knives that are even close to them.
Fightin Roosters are well known for this too..

Mark
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Welcome Lexus!

Sweet collection of knives for sure. :shock: ::tu:: ::drool:: Like singin and others have said, you need to separate out the celluloid handled knives from the rest or they will take down your whole collection. I cannot emphasize the importance of this enough. I would suggest getting them out in the open with the blades fully open, maybe on a counter top in your garage, a work bench or even a folding table somewhere in your house that's out of the way.

Then get yourself a Miracle Cloth. They will take off the rust and out-gassing oxidation but I have even used one lightly on etched blades and the etch remained. The cloth will turn black with use but it will still be working, even after it turns pitch black. Toss it when it gets thin and full of holes. After wiping, I let the knife sit for at least a day then repeat. When all signs of out-gassing and rust are gone, just buff with a clean cloth (like an old white t-shirt), add a dab of oil to the joints and store your celluloid separate and in the open if possible.

Hope this helps, it has worked for me since 2008.
Attachments
P1230378.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Lexus5544

Post by Lexus5544 »

How do I tell which ones are celluloid? Please dont tell me I have to look up each and every knife.
Lexus5544

Post by Lexus5544 »

Case - a few are repeats and I have several of several of them.
Attachments
IMG_6137.JPG
IMG_6138.JPG
IMG_6141.JPG
IMG_6143.JPG
IMG_6147.JPG
IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6156.JPG
IMG_6158.JPG
IMG_6164.JPG
Lexus5544

Post by Lexus5544 »

Few more Case
Attachments
IMG_6168.JPG
IMG_6170.JPG
IMG_6173.JPG
IMG_6177.JPG
IMG_6182.JPG
IMG_6186.JPG
IMG_6190.JPG
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6348.JPG
Lexus5544

Post by Lexus5544 »

Group
Attachments
IMG_6378 (800x533).jpg
IMG_6379 (800x533).jpg
Lexus5544

Post by Lexus5544 »

trail wrote:Lexus, here is a link to a good starting point for thinking about knife storage. There is a lot of information about cleaning and storage in various threads, try using the search function at the top of the page which will bring up some good threads. You've got some great knives but I can see that some of them have started to deteriorate so now's the time to jump in there and give them the care they need. Your dad looks to have been a man of taste and discernment, great collection of knives.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... it=storage

Thank you!!!! I like the rolls. Will do some cleaning research.
Lexus5544

Post by Lexus5544 »

1967redrider wrote:Welcome Lexus!

Sweet collection of knives for sure. :shock: ::tu:: ::drool:: Like singin and others have said, you need to separate out the celluloid handled knives from the rest or they will take down your whole collection. I cannot emphasize the importance of this enough. I would suggest getting them out in the open with the blades fully open, maybe on a counter top in your garage, a work bench or even a folding table somewhere in your house that's out of the way.

Then get yourself a Miracle Cloth. They will take off the rust and out-gassing oxidation but I have even used one lightly on etched blades and the etch remained. The cloth will turn black with use but it will still be working, even after it turns pitch black. Toss it when it gets thin and full of holes. After wiping, I let the knife sit for at least a day then repeat. When all signs of out-gassing and rust are gone, just buff with a clean cloth (like an old white t-shirt), add a dab of oil to the joints and store your celluloid separate and in the open if possible.

Hope this helps, it has worked for me since 2008.

I found a miracle cloth in my dads stuff. Had know idea what it was for. I think I tossed it. Will be sure to get another one.

Thank you!!!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”