Riggers knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
mytwobobos

Riggers knife

Post by mytwobobos »

I have had a few Riggers knives pass through my hands over the years, some with 1 blade plus the spike, some with a second blade that looks like a large can opener. I'm pretty sure it's not a can opener though. I'm thinking it has something to do with shaving or splicing a line. Does anyone know the name of this blade and its purpose? I can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks
cody6268

Re: Riggers knife

Post by cody6268 »

That was a style used on tin cans. Most early knives (and a few makers today) still use that style can opener. The modern British Army and Navy patterns for some stupid reason decide to use a huge claw type opener that's useless as a can opener--I guess more to function as a shackle key and hoofpick (it's blunt on the end)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the blade you are speaking of is a "Tin Opener", "tin" = British for "can"; short stout blade tapered both sides to a thick point, plus a stud on one side. Poke point through lid and then lever it around with stud resting on the rim.
kj
just bob

Post by just bob »

Some pics in here;

viewtopic.php?t=25134
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

like this CASE I assume? This one is a scarce 3 blade version made for Canadian Armed Forces between 48' and 52 as I recall.

Jerry
Attachments
M346_ MB stamp and handle stamp_pic 2.jpg
M346_ MB stamp and handle stamp_pic 2.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 1399 times
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
mytwobobos

Post by mytwobobos »

I should have added a photo from the start, sorry fellas, ::doh::
here's the blade I'm talking about.
20180604_204007.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That is the 'Claw Type' opener that came after the pointed stout blade i mention (and is shown) above. A poster above says they are '"useless". I have never tried one.
kj
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

The one I have would be useless for opening cans. I always thought it was for slicing through canvas, sail cloth and such things. that would make more sense with the sharp edge at the bottom of the V.
Bruce
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The sharp edge on the bottom cuts through the lid of the can as you lever up the handle with top of claw over can rim. Least that is how i think it works.
If that is your knife, try it out on a soup can, or beans. Guys always have a can of soup and a can of beans on hand for a quick meal.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Berryb wrote:The one I have would be useless for opening cans. I always thought it was for slicing through canvas, sail cloth and such things. that would make more sense with the sharp edge at the bottom of the V.
Bruce
I'm with you Bruce. I too thought that's what it was for.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”