All About Pocket Knives
Loading



All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
This very nice little pocket knife was sent to me by paulsvintage , as im enjoying the hunt of looking up the backgrounds on all these knives im having a bit of trouble with this one, plus the pattern name of this name, its a great EDC for me as well as i like the option of 1 smaller blade as less threatening to some folk :D again big thanks to paul and any help you guys n gals can help me with , ::tu::

Image

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
so is this the same company still trading ? plus read on here about possibly camillus making them ?

http://fflgundealers.net/mcgrew-knife-inc.html

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Posts: 3546
Images: 5
Location: Tecumseh,Michigan
Can't help on the company but the pattern appears to be a serpentine jack.The master blade looks like a modified Turkish clip blade and the secondary either a Wharncliffe or a sheepfoot.Reference is Levine's Guide 2 from the pictures of Remington blade types of the 1930's.

_________________
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
knife7knut wrote:
Can't help on the company but the pattern appears to be a serpentine jack.The master blade looks like a modified Turkish clip blade and the secondary either a Wharncliffe or a sheepfoot.Reference is Levine's Guide 2 from the pictures of Remington blade types of the 1930's.



Thanks mate, so serpent jack ::tu:: i did see one in the book i was reading last night ill go back and have a second look ::tu::

so a mystery company :?

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
Well stil not finding much about McGrew ARK, i have found a few pics and they seem possibly older MC's ? none with round shileds though, another thing i come up with is the hillbilly reference ,

could mine be a jack modern ?

different tang stamp to the one i have, possibly older ?
Image

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Posts: 3546
Images: 5
Location: Tecumseh,Michigan
Zed:
Here's their contact info:

McGrew Knife Co.
242 Highway 70E
Glenwood Arkansas 71943 USA
Tel: 870 356 3882

As you are in the UK if you want to ring them up you'll have to use the country code as well.

_________________
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 191
Images: 0
I had never heard of McGrew until I saw your post but I do have a knife with that shield. The shield is stamped U*S*A*. Clip blade is stamped "Prov. Cut. Co/Prov. R.I./ U.S.A.". The blade is etched "Spiral Edged". It is an Imperial Knife and I would guess that is who made your knife for McGrew.

The picture below is not very good. The color of the handles is exactly the same as your and I believe the shield is the same.

Joe

Attachment:
PROVIDENCE CUTLERY.JPG
PROVIDENCE CUTLERY.JPG [ 119.41 KiB | Viewed 872 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
Thanks knife7knut i did find a address but was hoping to find possibly a email address :? but i guess this is the same company as all adds up ::tu::

thanks joe, does your shield say U.S.A ? looks the same ::tu::

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
well just found this so copied it

there are different emblems used on the handles I have seen 3 different ones, one a shield with a M that's underlined, one that's a circular with USA and one that's an oval that says McGrew. I don't know if the different shields signify different years or different models or handle types. One of mine has pickbone handles the other yellow bone.

plus read about a life time warranty ? camillus still comes up alot as well :?

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:41 am
Posts: 2782
Location: Central Massachusetts
JoeBob441 wrote:
I had never heard of McGrew until I saw your post but I do have a knife with that shield. The shield is stamped U*S*A*. Clip blade is stamped "Prov. Cut. Co/Prov. R.I./ U.S.A.". The blade is etched "Spiral Edged". It is an Imperial Knife and I would guess that is who made your knife for McGrew.

The picture below is not very good. The color of the handles is exactly the same as your and I believe the shield is the same.

Joe

Attachment:
PROVIDENCE CUTLERY.JPG


Providence Cutlery Co was actually a separate knife company and (as far as I know) completely unrelated to Imperial. The Prov Cut Co factory was near the old Imperial factory in Providence RI.

McGrew had knives made by Colonial and by Camillus. Based on those pics maybe some were made by Prov Cut as well.

_________________
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide released October 1, 2009.

Visit My AAPK Store:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_store/knifestore1021-y.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:41 pm
Posts: 9269
Location: South of Cincinnati
zed6309 wrote:
This very nice little pocket knife was sent to me by paulsvintage , as im enjoying the hunt of looking up the backgrounds on all these knives im having a bit of trouble with this one, plus the pattern name of this name, its a great EDC for me as well as i like the option of 1 smaller blade as less threatening to some folk :D again big thanks to paul and any help you guys n gals can help me with , ::tu::

Image

You say "nice LITTLE pocket knife", what is the closed length of the knife? Maybe a Peanut or reverse peanut?

_________________
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
tjmurphy wrote:
zed6309 wrote:
This very nice little pocket knife was sent to me by paulsvintage , as im enjoying the hunt of looking up the backgrounds on all these knives im having a bit of trouble with this one, plus the pattern name of this name, its a great EDC for me as well as i like the option of 1 smaller blade as less threatening to some folk :D again big thanks to paul and any help you guys n gals can help me with , ::tu::

Image

You say "nice LITTLE pocket knife", what is the closed length of the knife? Maybe a Peanut or reverse peanut?


not sure TJ ,im off to work but ill measure it when i get home, i have got a RR peanut andits bigger than that so possibly not, it is a nice little knife and fits my front pocket very nicely, ::tu::

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
Ok tj a comparison pic ::tu::

Image

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 am
Posts: 11560
Images: 90
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
zed6309 wrote:
Well stil not finding much about McGrew ARK, i have found a few pics and they seem possibly older MC's ? none with round shileds though, another thing i come up with is the hillbilly reference ,

could mine be a jack modern ?

different tang stamp to the one i have, possibly older ?
Image


This blade looks like a Camillus to me.
Perhaps a #3 or a #4 pattern.

Dale

_________________
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... e37-y.html

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Posts: 1029
Images: 78
Location: poole,dorset,uk
orvet wrote:
zed6309 wrote:
Well stil not finding much about McGrew ARK, i have found a few pics and they seem possibly older MC's ? none with round shileds though, another thing i come up with is the hillbilly reference ,

could mine be a jack modern ?

different tang stamp to the one i have, possibly older ?
Image


This blade looks like a Camillus to me.
Perhaps a #3 or a #4 pattern.

Dale


Thanks dale, Camillus seems to be a name that pops up alot when searching McGREW ::tu::

_________________
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,


Top
 Profile Personal album  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group