HELLLLPPP!!!!

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Groucheeoleman

HELLLLPPP!!!!

Post by Groucheeoleman »

Hi everybody, I'm new here, I need some help! My father-in-law has a "Fightin' Rooster" knife that I can't seem to find any information about. It has "The Kentuckian" etched on one blade and "0178" on the other. From what I can gather it has the pre 1982 tang stamp (Frank Buster Cutlery Co.). I've found some others that have "The Kentuckian" but none look like this one. Can anyone tell me more about this knife? Sorry about the lack of detail in the pics. Thanks to anyone who may help!!!!

knives-are-quiet

Re: HELLLLPPP!!!!

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Maybe you can get some answers from this site by contacting them?

http://www.fightnroosterknives.com/inde ... &Itemid=10

J W
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

There's one piece of information I can give you immediately. Those handles are celluloid and they are deteriorating rapidly. If they remain on the knife they are going to cause some serious corrosion to the metal parts of the knife. You can already see it occuring. Look at the shield in particular. Fight'n Roosters are notorious for this problem. I often see 60 and 70 year old Imperials, Remingtons etc. with no sign of deterioration, but Fight'n Roosters seem to want to deteriorate right in your hand.

At an absolute minimum, keep that knife isolated from other articles made of metal.
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Yep, those celluloid handles are gassin' out. You might consider having the handles replaced if you want to keep the knife. You can already see pits in the blades where the gas has eaten into them.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
Groucheeoleman

Post by Groucheeoleman »

Yea, I kinda figured that. I've read some about that problem. I read that they should be kept in open air so the gas can disburse. It's not my knife, so I'll pass the info along to the owner. I wonder if it would be worth restoring? I've never seen another like it.....maybe now I know why! I am NOT a knife expert by any means, I sure like 'em though! Besides the obvious, is there anything else I should pass on to the owner? He's not very computer friendly, that's why this has become my task. I am amazed at how quickly you guys have taken the time to reply and I THANK YOU. I've got a couple really old knives (with wooden handles) that my granddad had. He told me that HIS father had them as a young man. Gramps was born in 1893! There don't seem to be any maker's marks on them. This is gettin' more fun by the minute! Maybe I'll take some pics and see where it leads.

Thanks Again!!!!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Hey Grouch, we hope you will post some pictures of your Grandfathers knives. We would like to see them.
Slip right in here. You got any old knives?

Welcome! ........... We like knives.......
Joe
Groucheeoleman

Post by Groucheeoleman »

Hi Joe,
I got a few...nothin' special though, other than the ones gramps gave me. I've got an old Imperial that I've been carrying since I was about 10 or 11 years old....still in my pocket now. Good ole knife and a faithful friend. The outside used to be covered with this textured plastic stuff, but I tore that off when I was a kid. The metal handle under it has the same texture, kinda wavy, but it shines like new. I'll try to take some pics of a couple of gramps old knives this week and post 'em. One looks quite old and has what looks like dark walnut handles with just one blade, single bolster. It has what some people call "patina", I think is the word. Still snaps good, looks like the blade has been sharpened and used a lot. After looking with a magnifier, I found the tang stamped "Cattaraugus Cutlery CO. Little Valley N.Y." Any good? I've also got this 2 bladed bone handled single bolster (metal piece that covers the end?) knife that has a tang stamped "Van Camp Indianapolis". Extremely nice shape, in my opinion. The blades snap REAL good on this one! And it doesn't appear to have been sharpened too many times. From what I can determine it came from the Van Camp Hardware and Iron Works in Indianapolis right here in good ole Indiana. At least that's the only information I was able to find. I'd really like to learn much more about this stuff. I'm a real "newbie"! DRKS (Don't really know sh!t). I'm all ears though!!!!

Later
Rick
P.S. The "groucheeoleman" stuff was my wife's idea of settin' up an e-mail account for me! Go figure! It just stuck....don't know WHY!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Well Rick, that you used a magnifier was a good thing and a handy tool to have around when courious about knives.
The Cattaraugus is always interesting. I hope you can get some pictures of that and others you have if you want to.
We would be interested in seeing them.
I am not familiar with Van Camp but you can be pretty sure there is someone here that is.
Groucheeoleman wrote:I'd really like to learn much more about this stuff
Believe me, there is a lot to learn here. This is a great place. Glad you droped by.
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Grouchee,

Tell your friend to go on one of the knife sales sites and pick up one of these. I have been using them with success so far on my Fight'n Rooster knives. ::pray::

-John
Attachments
Miracle Cloth
Miracle Cloth
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Groucheeoleman

Post by Groucheeoleman »

Thanks, Redrider! I will tell him, and get some of those for myself!!!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Grouchee,

After multiple uses the cloth will turn black. But don't worry it still will work perfectly. Just make sure you keep it from drying out by wrapping it back up or sticking it in a zip-lock. You'll get lots of use out of it. Hope it works for you as well as it has for me.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”