Knife Pick?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
OldGoat

Knife Pick?

Post by OldGoat »

Hey folks, I was scrounging around the 'bay recently and doing a search for keen kutter items and I discovered this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 4Qw44%253D

So I have a question (not the obvious one of why list it as a keen kutter when it is not) about knife picks. I looked around and discovered that they were popular long ago, even coming on watch chains with which to carry them. I see that some knives once did and even still do come with them in the box. I understand that they are used to open pocket knives.

OK. Why?? Were they designed for nail-biters? Folks who lost fingertips in industrial accidents? Lepers?

Or, more likely, for one of these reasons: 1) knives used to have really, really stout springs, 2) collectors or makers sparing their nails whilst opening hundreds of blades per day, or 3) both 1 and 2.

I'm pretty sure I have already answered my question with option 3 but was still surprised to discover them so late in my knife collecting endeavors. At any rate, I would enjoy learning more about the history of knife picks.

I also rather regret not having bid on that because it is so danged purty!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Pick?

Post by philco »

My understanding is that knife picks were popular when the backsprings on many slipjoint knives were much stouter than most are today. Without them it took some mighty sturdy thumbnails to hold up to opening those old beartraps.

Edit: I've added some pictures from the ebay listing so that once it's gone from ebay it will still be viewable here on AAPK.
Attachments
Knife Pick.jpg
Knife Pick.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Knife Pick 2.jpg
Knife Pick 2.jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Knife Pick 3.jpg
Knife Pick 3.jpg (31.83 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

Knife openers were used by cutlers and salesmen. Usually the ones used by the cutlers were not marked. The openers used by the traveling salesmen and clerks in hardware stores, were made with advertising on them for the knife company. opening up hundreds of knives each day was too hard on your thumbnails. That OVB does not look like an opener to me. I've seen a lot of Keen Kutter pins that look just like that. I can't figure what the two little holes would be for. ::shrug:: Levines guide to knives has some good information on pocketknife openers in it.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That`s the widest knife pick I have ever seen ::shrug::
AAPK Janitor
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

You reckon that knife picks could account for the chipping of the nail nicks on some knives?
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I'd say that is a watch fob.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It`s made in the shape of an axe head.

I don`t think it was designed as a knife pick, although it could be used that way.

Looking at the holes at the top, it could have been used as a key ring.
AAPK Janitor
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I suspect that the nail nick on one side is a clue to its use and original configuration. If there is a nail nick, logic dictates that the "blade" was tucked inside a handle of some sort. Beyond that I'm totally clueless.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

After looking at the pictures again, I don't think that is a "nail nick". I think it is part of the casting representing where the handle would go through the axe head.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
JoeBob441

Post by JoeBob441 »

I thought it was a nail nick to, but I believe you are right. Whoever owns it is right proud of it if it would not sell for $103. Must be more to the story.

Joe
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Could it be something as simple as a paint can opener? That piece was one of many different functional items all tied together using the 2 holes at the top (something similar to a Swiss army knife) The nail nick was there for ease of extracting that particular tool.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”