CASES SPORTSMAN HUNTER IDENTIFICATION

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
winchester907

CASES SPORTSMAN HUNTER IDENTIFICATION

Post by winchester907 »

PLEASE HELP ME DATE A CASES SPORTSMAN HUNTING KNIFE. ITS A VERY OLD HUNTER WITH A SHEATH. BUT JUST SAYS CASE ON THE KNIFE GUARD. THANKS I ADDED MORE PICS TO HELP. THANKS FOR THE REPLY. :P
THE KNIFE CAME FROM AN ESTATE AUCTION. THE HANDLE IS A HARD WOOD. I DON'T HAVE MUCH HISTORY ON IT. THE SHEATH SAYS CASES SPORTSMAN. THE SHEATH IS SHOT BUT THEN IT DID ITS JOB. THE KNIFE REMAINS IN GOOD SHAPE.
Attachments
002.JPG
001.JPG
008.JPG
005.JPG
007.JPG
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CASES SPORTSMAN HUNTER IDENTIFICATION

Post by Mossdancer »

winchester907:
Hi, would you please show the sheath(both sides and stitching) and the other side of knife laying along side a ruler.
What is the handle made of? Any other marks at all on the knife or sheath? Do you know any of it's history or can you obtain info from where you received knife? I think it is pretty unique, tends to resemble a woodcraft pattern.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Hi:
The sheath is throwing you off. The cases sportsman sheath with Indian and hunter on it was used with various case fixed blades mostly they were case XX knives. Case made hunting knives for a year or so in early 20's and then kinfolks took over joint project from them and another company. They both resumed hunting patterns with their own name some time later. I can't recall when, seems like early 40's. The only case I can find that is guard marked is some military models. All of the above is only my opinion, you can find the proper dates in several books. I also cannot find any case knife marked with CASE and nothing else. You might want to put the CASE(while magnified check for traces of an XX after or under the CASE) mark under strong magnification and verify authenticity. Again, just opinion. Whatever it is it is a nice knife.
moss
edit: after another look at your photos the pommel looks as though it could be 40's.
is there a screwdriver type slot in top of pommel?
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Winchester,

Nice old Case fixed blade knife. :)

The knife should measure 8 1/4" overall. The scabbard is original to that model knife, the pattern is unknown, it has been suggested it is the 1361-5 model.

I would date it between 1940-69. It has a walnut wood handle, aluminum guard and pommel.

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
razor1

Post by razor1 »

Winchester, Your knife resembles a 147 pattern which was made from 1937-1940 and 1945-1975 with walnut handle. However like Mossdancer said there should be some other markings on the knife. About 1940 when the pocket knife stamping was changed to Case XX the sheath knives were changed to Case. When the pocket knives were again changed in 1965 to Case XX,U.S.A. the sheath knives were changed to Case XX Made in U.S.A. Sorry to have not been more help :(
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammo! I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here!
1cowboyup007

Post by 1cowboyup007 »

I have a 1940's case bone stag hunting knife that measures 9 inches long and the only makings is the name CASE in block style writing on the tang,the sheath says CASE XX that's all it has on it. I know its from the 40's because my father has a photo of my grand dad with it on his side towards the end of WWII, if its not the same knife in the pic then it is it's twin, could be wrong but the research I've done says the same thing. here is a link to show you the different tang stamps. mine is number 22 straight down left column.

http://www.wrcase.com/case_college/tang_logo_stamp/

Forester

Post by Forester »

Jim Sargent's 6th edition shows the exact same knife and sheath. He lists it as an unknown pattern possibly a 1361-5? Walnut handles and the single word CASE stamped on the aluminum guard. Value $125

there are several other knives with this stamping.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”