New finds at Flea Market

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Gary0855

New finds at Flea Market

Post by Gary0855 »

I went to the flea market today and got these two knives

1. Shrade Walden NY USA, with 176 on back of tang.
From what I can find out it's pre 1973
Smooth fake Ivory handles with "say it with Flowers" on the handle.
Blade has almost no sign of sharpening, although it's been sharpened.

2. Queen electricians knife
Big Q with crown, USA under the tail
Etching on blade looks like IDEA 135-205 or maybe 305?
Very little wear on blades, although signs of a grinding wheel gone wrong, what's wrong with people?
This is my first Queen, and I'd like to know more about it. My "UP TO DATE" 1985 price guide has very little on it . I thing it's post 1976ish?

Gary
Attachments
P7220236.JPG
P7220238.JPG
FRJ

Re: New finds at Flea Market

Post by FRJ »

Gary, go to Camillus cutlery collectors forum. There's all sorts of stuff there for you. Have fun.

Nice knives; nice blades!
Joe
gino

Post by gino »

LOVE THE FLEA MARKET!
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gary0855 wrote: 2. Queen electricians knife
Etching on blade looks like IDEA 135-205 or maybe 305?
Very little wear on blades, although signs of a grinding wheel gone wrong, what's wrong with people?
This is my first Queen, and I'd like to know more about it. My "UP TO DATE" 1985 price guide has very little on it . I thing it's post 1976ish?

Gary
First item, re: "Etching on blade looks like IDEA 135-205 or maybe 305?" Look closely. Could that be IDEAL instead of IDEA? Ideal Industries has been in the electrical supply business for many years and that is their 35-285 electricians knife. I'm willing to bet, the mark you're seeing on the blade is IDEAL 35-285. They still sell that knife today, although I doubt very seriously it's still being made by Queen. Most likely being Made in China now, as are so many things these days.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDeta ... dId=35-285

Second item, re: "signs of a grinding wheel gone wrong" I don't think so. Having worked around electricity all my adult life, I've seen marks like that on tools before (yes, I may have made some of them myself). I'm of the opinion the marks on the screwdriver blade, you interrupted as a "grinding wheel gone wrong", are actually the results of an "Oh sh__!!" moment in someones life, while using the knife for it's intended purpose. The marks look to me like the aftermath of inadvertently placing the knife blade between a "hot" wire and ground.

Third item, re: value. This one sold last week for $15.51 http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Pocket-Knif ... 5888a11bcc

Suggestion: Get one of the guys here at AAPK to customize it for you. They can get rid of that abused screwdriver blade, 86 the bail, put new handles on it and make it into a very attractive old Queen EDC (and something you will be proud to display in your collection). Scroll through this old thread. It's not only an education on the TL-29 (electrician Knife) but on page 3 & 6 there are some photos of what a TL-29 can look like when it's all dressed up to go out on the town (customized). http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... f=2&t=2659
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”