Fixed blade storage

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tank

Fixed blade storage

Post by tank »

How do you guys store or display your fixed blades. I need ideas.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Collection
My Blog
gino

Re: Fixed blade storage

Post by gino »

Great question Tank. I keep mine just laying in a pile in a locked cupboard where I keep most of my boxed knives. Has to be a better way and I am looking foward to reading some ideas. ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

The trouble with fixed blade knives is they take up a lot of space ::oh_my::

I plan on making a rack made out of wood with slots in the top spaced apart so you can just drop in the knife, if you need to take it out it comes out easily ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

I use old suit cases or brief cases with layers of foam rubber in between layers of knifes. They must be tight packed to keep them from moving around.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I dunno tank.
As you can see, I'm in need of a plan too.
Attachments
P1010972.JPG
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tough question Tank. And then you have the issue, do I store them in the sheath or out? If it's out, what do I do with the sheath? You gotta keep the brass guards away from the leather sheaths or it forms Verdigris, so then ya have stained sheaths and pitted guards.

What to do? What to do? I do love my straight knives but storage is an issue. I'll be interested to see some solutions.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I know one thing I definately do not store fix blades in there sheaths,leather traps moisture.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
tank

Post by tank »

Jerry, that was my next question. If mine has a box i wax the knife then wrap it in a paper towel and place it in the box with the sheath. If they don't have a box I wax them and put a soft elastic band around them to secure the knife to the sheath and they all go in a big Rubbermaid container. Seems like we are all in the same predicament.
AAPK Moderator
BRKCA Founding Member
A quality knife is a companion for life.
My Collection
My Blog
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have several methods of storing fixed blade knives:
First of all they are ALL stored outside the sheath for reasons already mentioned.Additionally they take up more space being stored in the sheath;especially if they are in shallow drawers.
The first method is storage in drawers.I have a large antique typographer's cabinet that has 24 drawers(all of the same dimensions).The bottom 5 drawers are reserved for large blades.The drawers are lined with felt and all have dessicant bags that are re-cycled every couple months.The cabinet is in an old closet that had sliding doors and is out of the direct sunlight.It is also temperature controlled and serves as my computer room.
I also have a 4 drawer metal cabinet used to hold mechanical drawings that is likewise equipped.
My second storage area(s) are old wooden machinist's tool boxes I have acquired over the years.They have different size drawers and are ideal for holding folders as well as fixed blades.Again the drawers are felt lined with dessicant bags added.
My third area(s) are old suitcases and briefcases lined with foam padding with pieces of waxed paper between the foam and the knives.I have found that sometimes the chemicals in foam(formaldehyde mostly)will sometimes react with leather and/or synthetic handles and cause sticking or discoloration.
My last storage area is an old metal locker that has cases originally used for wallpaper samples and also old silverware boxes to store my sheaths.The way I keep track of which is which is to affix a tag on a string to the sheath listing the drawer # and section the knife is located.
The basement where the locker is located can be a little cold and damp(I use an evaporator to control the moisture)so the sheaths are checked every month and the dessicant bags changed.I also use a good leather cleaner/preservative(lexol)on them if they show signs of mold or mildew.
It takes quite a bit of time to do all this but it is worth it in the end.I also check my gun safe at the same time.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:The trouble with fixed blade knives is they take up a lot of space ::oh_my::

I plan on making a rack made out of wood with slots in the top spaced apart so you can just drop in the knife, if you need to take it out it comes out easily ::nod::

How about a set of parallel dowel rods with brackets at both ends? ::shrug::

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Tim,

That can be done too ::nod::

Only thing is if the dowels are too long they will sag in the middle. I would like to have something about 6 feet long, so I figure a pine board with slots routed out of it will be stronger and should hold the weight ::pray::
AAPK Janitor
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Ok, so i was bored this morning and rummaging through the garage and found some old shutters. How about building a box cabinet with access to the back for box storage and double door louvers on the front?

Tim
Attachments
001.JPG
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
gino

Post by gino »

Great idea Tim, I am bored being off work this week and all I did today so far was eat and shower, LOL
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”