Challenge Cutlery knife Question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Challenge Cutlery knife Question

Post by Knife Nut »

Beany, I don't know the answer to your question about age of tang stamps for Challenge.
I only have two, a budding and a two blade easy open, and both have the arch stamp.
Went to Goins but no info on dateing stamps.
Maybe someone will share some insight on this question.

Paul
beany

Post by beany »

Thanks for trying Paul. Hopefully sometime tomorrow I will be able to download a picture or two of my knife. Maybe that will help with some further information. Thanks again. Beany
beany

Post by beany »

P1010796.JPG
Finally a picture of my knife in question...the info I have is as follows:
3 3/4" Challenge Cutlery Co. pocket knife
Stag Handle, Brass lining, I believe a nickel silver bolster, 2 knife blades, a screwdriver tool, and an awl (leather punch)
Tip broken off the leather punch

Thanks for any further info, as to age and value.
curmudgn

Post by curmudgn »

Hi y'all,
Just a little supplemental info on Challenge Cutlery.
Apparently they not only made knives & razors, but some non-edged stuff as well.
At a yard sale this morning I found what I'm calling a "speed square" for lack of a better term. See the pix.
The circular maker's mark reads around the outside "CHALLENGE CUTLERY CORP. BRIDGEPORT, CONN." and the inside reads "PATENTED 1904". Simple but rugged construction, the longest leg is 10" long and graduated in 1/8 inch increments.
I guess it just shows the competitive natury of the cutlery business. You do whatever you have to do to bring in revenue.
Has anyone else seen non-cutlery Challenge products??
Attachments
Challenge Square.JPG
Challenge Square (1).JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Oh, now I'm on a mission. I've got to get into my old tools. I may have something like that. What a smart tool that is.
Thanks, curmudgn.

Oh, by the way. WELCOME!! ..... What kind of knives are you packin?
Joe
curmudgn

Post by curmudgn »

FRJ wrote:Oh, now I'm on a mission. I've got to get into my old tools. I may have something like that. What a smart tool that is.
Thanks, curmudgn.
Oh, by the way. WELCOME!! ..... What kind of knives are you packin?
Hey FRJ,
I didn't expect such a speedy response to my post! Do let us know if you come up with anything amongst your old tools.
I'm not a real collector. I'm a hard core yard-saler and I buy anything interesting and cheap in the way of old knives, tools, etc. (the square was 50¢). Old, good quality pocket & sheath knives, even elderly high-end kitchen cutlery. I admire the stuff for a while and then re-sell it, after learning whatever I can about it. Looks like this whole website is going to assist greatly in my education, and I think I'll be back here often.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”