Frontier Stockman

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Frontier Stockman

Post by stockman »

I usually don't buy newer knives, but this one was reasonably priced and nice. Master blade marked
Frontier on mark side. The pile side is marked 4431/Imperial/USA. 4" closed Delrin scales, pretty much
a 8OT. I wanted to know its age. My guess is 70's-80's. Will make a good user.

Harold
Attachments
img314.jpg
img315.jpg

Re: Frontier Stockman

Post by 0078 »

Nice knife, I think schrade had there hands in on that one. I have a couple yellow ones they seem to be well made knives.
Where you plant your needs is where your garden grows.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Harold that looks like more of a keeper than a user........but then again what do I know?

Nice knife! ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

imperials made in 70s & 80s had real decent carbon steel. HiPower
HiPower
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks Guys. My lines that I typed in don't go across the page. They drop down to a new line. They look
ok when I preview my post. Then when I submit they drop down. What am I doing wrong? See my above
post.

Harold
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Frontier knives always were good quality and very reasonably priced. Looks like you you got a good USA made knife there!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

That's a very nice looking knife and appears to be in excellent condition.
Attachments
img314.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I have read in various sources that the Imperial Frontier pocket knives in the 70's and 80's were actually made by Camillus. IIRC they were introduced in about 1975 or 76.

Later maybe late 80's or 90's they were made in the Imperial factory in Ireland - lower quality at a lower price point.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I can believe that. Note the matchstrike pulls on the main, not a Camillus exclusive but something that showed up on a lot of the knives they made. Even from a picture, the quality shows in this knife. Quality akin to Camillus.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Post by 0078 »

Looks like a schrade 881 frame to me
Where you plant your needs is where your garden grows.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

If Camillus was making them, did they use the swinden system on them also? I ask this because I modded a frontier stockman (not this model, but similar) and it had the swinden key construction.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I think I've seen Dale say that Swinden system needed special machinery and was exclusive to Schrade. Don't quote me but that's what sticks in my mind. I've zoomed in on both the mark side and the pile side and don't see any evidence of pins in the bolsters. That doesn't necessarily mean anything when working from a picture though.
Attachments
img315.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

glennbad wrote:If Camillus was making them, did they use the swinden system on them also? I ask this because I modded a frontier stockman (not this model, but similar) and it had the swinden key construction.

Glenn; interesting to know that. Certainly indisputable then that at least some were made in the Schrade plant. Maybe they all were. Its actually Bernard Levine who has written the he saw Camillus producing the Frontier series knives when he visited the Camillus factory. Not sure of the time frame though.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

[quote="jerryd6818"]I think I've seen Dale say that Swinden system needed special machinery and was exclusive to Schrade. Don't quote me but that's what sticks in my mind. I've zoomed in on both the mark side and the pile side and don't see any evidence of pins in the bolsters. That doesn't necessarily mean anything when working from a picture though.[/quote

I looked the knife over with good light and a 10 power loop and i also don't see evidence of pins in the bolsters.

Harold
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Jerry is correct, the Swinden machinery was unique to Schrade.
This series of knives was made by Imperial, Camillus (I have several S-cards from the Camillus factory), & also by Schrade.

They were made in the 1970s & 1980s. Albert Baer bought controlling interest in Imperial in 1983. The Frontier patterns were direct completion with the Old Timer line & so they discontinued the Frontier line about 85 to 87.

Not on my computer now, but I can look it up tomorrow.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

orvet wrote:Jerry is correct, the Swinden machinery was unique to Schrade.
This series of knives was made by Imperial, Camillus (I have several S-cards from the Camillus factory), & also by Schrade.

They were made in the 1970s & 1980s. Albert Basra bought controlling interest in Imperial in 1983. The Frontier patterns were direct completion with the Old Timer line & so they discontinued the Frontier line about 85 to 87.

Not on my computer now, but I can look it up tomorrow.
They later resurrected the Frontier brand name for use on knives that were made in the Imperial Ireland factory. These knives may have been an exclusive to Wal Mart.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I picked up a #4432 today, it was in good used condition just needed some oil on the joints and a good cleaning.

I could have sold it as is or used it as an EDC, but,my curiosity got the best of me so I decided to take it apart to see if it had the Swinden system.

I removed the center pin and sure enough the handles came right off. You can see the skeleton in the pictures below the blades will snap open and closed as long as there is a pin holding the back springs.

Also while removing the center pin the shield fell clean out! :lol:

I can`t stand a shield that is not pinned ::huff::

It looks like it was just hot pressed into the handle as there is no evidence of any type of glue on the shield or in the recessed handle material :shock:
Attachments
f.JPG
f1.JPG
f2.JPG
f3.JPG
AAPK Janitor
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Dimitri;

Thanks for sacrificing your knife so that we knife nuts can assuage our curiosity ::groove:: .

That seems to prove that at least some Frontiers were made in plants owned by Imperial/Schrade.

On the shield, most companies did "hot melt" the shields into the delrin handles using an electrical device.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Steve!

I learned one thing, these did not take much skill to put together at all :shock:

They are all machine made out of stamped parts and machine riveted together, as long as the jigs and machines are all set up you could take anyone off the streets with no knife making skill and in a few hours have them assembling these into knives ::uc:: :lol:
AAPK Janitor
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Most were made by Imperial/Schrade far as I know--there's been alot of Camillus talk about Frontier's lately--I'm just not on board with it I think people are looking at the blade grind thinkin Camillus----
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

All back together.
Attachments
$.JPG
$1.JPG
AAPK Janitor
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Miller Bro`s wrote:I picked up a #4432 today, it was in good used condition just needed some oil on the joints and a good cleaning.

I could have sold it as is or used it as an EDC, but,my curiosity got the best of me so I decided to take it apart to see if it had the Swinden system.

I removed the center pin and sure enough the handles came right off. You can see the skeleton in the pictures below the blades will snap open and closed as long as there is a pin holding the back springs.

Also while removing the center pin the shield fell clean out! :lol:

I can`t stand a shield that is not pinned ::huff::

It looks like it was just hot pressed into the handle as there is no evidence of any type of glue on the shield or in the recessed handle material :shock:
Miller Bro's
I pulled a knife apart because no one believe it was made by Schrade in the factory.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=40468
Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

::tu:: that Frontier looks good
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very interesting Grant, sometimes you have to take them apart to know for sure ::nod:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”