REMINGTON UMC - GERMANY?? INPUT PLEASE

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
CTAYLORMAN

REMINGTON UMC - GERMANY?? INPUT PLEASE

Post by CTAYLORMAN »

I just picked up this 4 bladed congress knife with beautiful stag handles and bar shield. Long pulls on all 4 blades. Very good condition. I have only been seriously collecting for 2-3 years and Remington is one of my knives of choice. This is one I have not seen yet. All 4 blades tangs are stamped "Remington UMC" in a straight line with no circle around the stamping and on the back side all blades are stamped "Germany". I have seen the old Winchester reproductions from the 70's that to my knowledge Parker was involved in but the Winchester's had an etching on the back side of the blade stamped "Germany", I dont recall seeing any of the Parker repro's with any of the tangs stamped "Germany" much less all 4 tangs stamped. Has anyone seen any of these before and can you provide me with any information? I am guessing this is a reproduction knife but would like to have more detail on it. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.[attachment=5]Trick or Treat etc 266.JPG[/attachment][attachment=4]Trick or Treat etc 259.JPG[/attachment][attachment=3]Trick or Treat etc 263.JPG[/attachment][attachment=2]Trick or Treat etc 258.JPG[/attachment][attachment=1]Trick or Treat etc 262.JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]Trick or Treat etc 265.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
Remington UMC - Germany
Remington UMC - Germany
Rem-Germ front view
Rem-Germ front view
Rem-Germ tang 1
Rem-Germ tang 1
Rem-Germ tang 2
Rem-Germ tang 2
Rem-Germ tang 3
Rem-Germ tang 3
Rem-Germ backside
Rem-Germ backside
remington collector

Re: REMINGTON UMC - GERMANY?? INPUT PLEASE

Post by remington collector »

It is my understanding that any vintage Remington knife with Germany on the tang(s) is an unauthorized reproduction. Whomever produced these knives borrowed- (stole) the Remington name in attempt to tie their product in with a well known knife manufacture without purchasing the rights to use the name. I've saw a few knives with the Remington-Germany tang stamp but have never purchased one. Myself nor any Remington collector I know of would consider them an authentic Remington cutlery product. Unless I'm mistaken it was Bowen who first had the rights to reproduce a Remington replica around 1975 and then Camillus who has repoduced most if not all of the bullet patterns.
CTAYLORMAN

Post by CTAYLORMAN »

Thanks, I appreciate the info!
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Still a nice Congress!! ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
CTAYLORMAN

Post by CTAYLORMAN »

I thought so too which is why I purchased it. I knew something wasnt right with it but I didnt invest much into it either. Anything unique or different always sparks my interest. It seems to be very well made, all 4 blades have excellent snap, half stop etc..One thing that I know for certain is that this is an old knife so whoever copied it done so many years ago. Thanks to all!
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

It looks like an old Hen & Rooster Congress. 8)
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
moonshiner

Post by moonshiner »

i to think it looks like the old Hen&Rooster's,Fife's,Hoffritz's ,Carter,s and etc,They made knifes for alot of different cutlery companies,real good knifes,very popular in my area,and now highly sought after

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”