Bear MGC knives/Bear & Son knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tbighunter

Bear MGC knives/Bear & Son knives

Post by tbighunter »

Does anyone know much about this knife maker?I have purchased 2 stag handled fixed blades,they seem to be very well made.Thanks for your input,Tom
testcase

Re: Bear MGC knives/Bear & Son knives

Post by testcase »

tbighunter wrote:Does anyone know much about this knife maker?I have purchased 2 stag handled fixed blades,they seem to be very well made.Thanks for your input,Tom
I bought a nice red stag peanut with carbon blades for my grandson last year, I went back and got another for myself. Well built and the price wasn't much more than Chinese *%$#. Holds an edge, good snap, fit and finish not S&M or Canal Street, but very serviceable. I got a Pearl Tooth pick but haven't looked at it real close yet...

I think maybe they fit nice niche, reasonable price, US made, good, if not great quality. AND NOT CHINESE!
Tod
trail

Post by trail »

I have bought several, most recently a rosewood executive lockback, and have been quite happy with them. They are good, serviceable knives. To me, they are a throwback to the age when knives were mass produced for working people to use. The fit and finish might not be of the very highest quality, but the blades are tight. So many of the other American manufacturers seem to be producing only limited quantity, collectors style knives. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it is also good to have a working knife industry that is not so heavily based on nostalgia. Bear & Son fits the bill for me, and yes, they are American Made.
glenn

Post by glenn »

made in good ole Alabama USA . I like the stag pocket knives I rate them ::tu:: ::tu::
razor edge
Steel Dragon

Post by Steel Dragon »

I'm not crazy about the dark damascus they use on alot of thie knives.Just a visual thing though. Never saw any delaminating on Bear&Sons which is good.
Some other imported damascus cutlery i always see selling on bargain tables as seconds have damaged crappy damascus..
Hair shaving sharp is a good thing..
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I know they were, or still are, in Jacksonville, AL. Beautiful little college town in NE part of the State, headed toward Calhoun, Ga.

Are they not somehow connected to or founded by the individual, whose name I forget, that made Damascus bladed knives for Jim Parker back in the 80's -90's?

I liked their earlier stag handled knives. Simple, but useable. I'm not too sure about some the stuff I've seen on Ebay in the last couple of years.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
trail

Post by trail »

If memory serves, they were established back around 1990 by a man named Griffey and some partners. Griffey I believe had been with Case. They sold to Victorinox some time later but the Swiss government required Victorinox to divest their foreign holdings to keep some military contracts, so Griffey and friends bought it back and run it today. They do a fair amount of contract work, for example they produce the lower priced Moore Makers. In a lot of ways they remind me of Camillus, only better managed...They are relatively unknown and just stay in the background churning out boatloads of medium grade, serviceable knives to be sold under their own brand as well as others.
GreatScout

Post by GreatScout »

I collect big texas toothpicks, from the first decade of the 20th century (when the pattern was first made, here in the USA) to made last month. The point is, I have many, many different makes- manufacturer's examples, both very old and very new, to compare knives with. Based on comparison, I rate the Bears as average, or good quality. Period. Ok, they are made in the USA, but I don't take that into consideration when judging quality.

I have a pearl 5" "Custom Heritage" toothpick. I don't think it rates that name. Sure it is serial numbered (marketing ploy), which I do not take into consideration. Fit and finish, in my opinion, is just below anything ever made by Camillus (I have Cam made toothpicks branded by BUCK, WINCHESTER, REMINGTON, ect). One big glaring fault I have with the pearl is that it is glued on, instead of pinned... Not enough faith in their cutlers to put the drill and hammer to the precious pearl? I got lots of MOP handled 'picks, but only the ones branded PARKER & FROST (made in Japan) and MARBLES (china) have glued on handle slabs.

When I stopped into SMKW earlier this month, I bought a couple of the Keen Kutter 5" toothpicks, made by Bear. First one is Amber bone, serial numbered again, and in a cool tin. Double nail pulls. Paperwork says the steel is "440 stainless". it is not high polished, and is dull as heck. Main pivot is visible on the outside of the handle slab, but the bone is obviously glued. Very, very light blade etching, but good stamped tang mark. Second one is the classic yellow, and I will buy a yeller 5" toothpick made by anyone. Handle seems to be Delrin, nicely pinned on, only one nail pull, which is enough, and a fancier blade grind. Acutally, the yellow knife is the nicest Bear of the three. I will write that the backsprings are very strong. My kinda knife, safe as hell as a user, if one knows how to handle a real, non-locking, traditional pocket knife. Only other complaint is the shape of the blade... I expect a very long, narrow, classic 'Turkish clip' on my toothpicks, and the Bear's had a strange (compared to other 'picks) humpback look. But I am moving into the area of personal tastes, there.

I find a lot of roughness in the Bears, fit and finish just always a little short. As poster TRAIL writes, the blades are tight. These knives do seem, to me, to have the 'collectible' trappings (serial numbers, blade etchings, fancy packaging), but they make better users.
I'll buy another Bear-produced toothpick in the future, certainly, 'cause that is what I do.

justold52

Post by justold52 »

I will buy a yeller 5" toothpick made by anyone.

:lol: :lol: Why stop at the 5" tooth picks ????... :lol: :lol:

I also know the feeling of a good YELLOW handled knife in your hand.
Attachments
Ka Bar Fish.jpg
A sign In a Chinese Pet Store: 'Buy one dog, get one flea.'
glenn

Post by glenn »

Ijust recieved a bear and son 547 fpr fathers day from my wonderful Daughter .Bear makes a real good knife made Ala USA What a gift I will always treasure it
razor edge
tbighunter

Post by tbighunter »

Thanks again for your input.I'm trying to stay collecting Schrade(mostly Uncle Henry),but sometimes I get sidetracked.I purchased my first knife to collect in Feb. of this year.I now have around 60 and it has been so fun.Thanks again,Tom
Bluetick bugle

Post by Bluetick bugle »

If you can, try the Heritage models. The fit and finish is much higher than the stag bone and wood handled knives. One of the disappointments I have with Bear is they always, except for the CS 1095's, use 440 stainless. For the life of me I can never get a good edge with it. Still, all said wish them the best and they sure as hell beat China crap!

Oh yeah, I always found Redhill Cutlery in L'ville Ky. to have the best online selection of Bear/Keen Kutter.
testcase

Post by testcase »

Bluetick bugle wrote:If you can, try the Heritage models. The fit and finish is much higher than the stag bone and wood handled knives. One of the disappointments I have with Bear is they always, except for the CS 1095's, use 440 stainless. For the life of me I can never get a good edge with it. Still, all said wish them the best and they sure as hell beat China crap!

Oh yeah, I always found Redhill Cutlery in L'ville Ky. to have the best online selection of Bear/Keen Kutter.
Their "Generations" knives were 1095 as well. Also, the antique mall across the interstate from Shepard Hills in Lebanon MO carries quit a few Bears in the back of the store
Tod
trail

Post by trail »

Here is my latest Bear, a 298R small razor. I was ready to spend half an hour sharpening it, but to my surprise it came out of the box sharp enough to shave with.
Attachments
bear_298r_2.jpg
bear_298r_2.jpg (176.6 KiB) Viewed 2942 times

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”