M Klein & Sons Hawkbill

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Metalhead

M Klein & Sons Hawkbill

Post by Metalhead »

I have read some history on these knives on older threads, and they seem to have been made by both Utica and Camillus. Is there a way to determine the maker and narrow down a date of manufacture? It is stamped MKLEIN&SONS (no spaces), "CHICAGO" underneath that, and "MADE IN U.S.A." underneath that. It was my grandfather's who worked at the Exxon refinery in Baytown, TX from the late 30's to mid 70's, and it still functions great. The "H.O.&R.Co" scratched on the bolster stands for "Humble Oil and Refining Company" (which became Exxon in the early 70's). Back then they got to keep their tools when they retired. Any info would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
JB
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: M Klein & Sons Hawkbill

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not Camillus. Handle pins are in the wrong positions for Camillus.
Attachments
Camillus #1.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Meatlehead,there should be a letter at the top of the tang stamp that indicates the year.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Jerryd6818, thanks for the info about the handle pins. Here is another photo of the handles.

Guarddog56, if there is a letter at the top of the tang stamp I sure can't find it. Not that it couldn't have worn off, but all the other marks are still clear (though rough). I've looked with a magnifying glass, but I will look with a better magnifyer when I get a chance. Seems like there should at least be a remanent of it? Thanks for telling me where to look.

It has a half stop if that helps with an ID.

And for the love of all things decent, will someone tell me how to make my photos appear right side up?
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG
JB
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

One of our members contacted Klein Tools, asking about dating their knives and this is a copy of his post containing their reply. Since your knife does not have a date code, it would have been made prior to 1972. The pictures can be enlarged by left clicking on it twice.

"Email from Klein to Aimus Moses:
Dear Sir,
Thank you for contacting Klein Tools with your question about how Klein Tools letter date code tang stamp on our knives is read. Klein Tools began using a letter code on the tang stamp of knives that we made for dating purposes beginning in 1972 and we started that year with the letter "I". Then the next letter in the alphabet "J" was used for the next year 1973 and so on. Klein has make mistakes in our letter code date tang stampings in 1979 by omitting the letter "Q" and we skipped on to the letter "R", then another mistake was made in 1997 by using both letters "I" and "J" for that year. Once we hit the letter "Z" in 1988, we started over with the letter "A", not with double letter date codes tang stamps. Therefore a Klein knife with a tang stamp letter "A" date code =1989. We are currently at the letter "Y" =2012. When we hit the letter "Z" again next year, it is yet to be seen what type of tang stamp code Klein Tools will use on knives made after the letter "Z". Prior to 1972, Klein Tools used a 3-letter code tang stamp on our knives, though not every knife was stamped and would not have those 3-letters stamped on the knife anywhere. Klein Tools has never used a 2 -letter code date stamp. If you have a Klein marked knife that has a 2 -letter code tang stamped on it, the knife was most likely stamped that way by a cutlery manufacturer that we contracted to make the knife for us and we have no information on how that letter code date tang stamp would work, or who the exact contracted knife manufacturer was that made the knife. I hope this helps answer your question and thank you for your interest in Klein Tools. If I can be of further service to you please feel free to contact Klein Tools.
Regards,
Bill
Klein Tools
"

As for your pictures not showing up in the correct orientation, I've done some research and discovered that issue to be caused by the AAPK software. Digital pictures have an orientation code embedded in them and AAPK software doesn't always read that code correctly (or maybe not at all). If you want to read about the nuts and bolts of the issue, that information is here ---> http://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-you ... y-rotated/
Attachments
IMG_1288.JPG
s-l1600m.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Thanks Jerry
JB

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”