Leather Handle Washer Placement and Insertion for faux JPK

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
MikeA

Leather Handle Washer Placement and Insertion for faux JPK

Post by MikeA »

Good Afternoon,
Have a question for you and think you can assist me. I bought a M1 Camillus Blank of the net,along with Camillus washers,pommel and finger guard. I am making my own theater knife. So far I have it ground down to almost final polish before I heat treat it etc. [And will touch it up more as I get closer to completion].

Im not sure how to handle working with the leather. There was some references on my other post about compressing them as much as possible to put them on. My Pommel is the flat ka-bar style with single pin. In my mind I am trying to think up of some mechanical compressor to push the pommel down with the washers towards the guard and then try to insert the pin etcetera.

Anyway thats what bubbling around in my head and not sure if I am even close conceptually on how to do it. I think it will look pretty neat when its done and will only be my second knife ever. (the first in 1973 was harder as I used an automotive spring). I didnt see any forums posts concerning this idea.

Would appreciate an suggestions. I didnt really take any pictures as its pretty generic knife and by using Camillus parts it kind of made it more special for me. Hope it turns out ok.
thanks
Mike
coffeecup

Re: Leather Handle Washer Placement and Insertion for faux J

Post by coffeecup »

This is a different situation, Mike--before we were discussing replacing washers without disassembling the knife; compression let the washer fit into place, then expand over time to fill any gaps. In this case (new knife) you can either just stack the washers on the tang (with or without some kind of glue), or build a stack separately (with glue) and then install it on the knife.

Either way works, though I suspect stacking them on the tang is more traditional when it comes to building a theatre knife.
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

thanks Cc,
Thats what I was not sure of. I knew with the other I was trying to repair a damaged knife. I was not sure on strictly a new knife if the washers were even compressed or not. I have all the parts (dang its looking nice if I can keep the sandpaper correct). I will try and fit the washers without compression but tight and see how that works for the finish.

I read some other articles about putting glue onto the unfinished leather handle and that seemed like putting cement on the Mona Lisa after she was painted. There were suggestions of flooding the leather with glues (not from you but other forums or even utube videos).

Will go slow and deliberate.

muchas gracias

mike
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

por nada.

Glue--most often superglue--can be used as a "sealer" of sorts on leather handles. It seems to work best on new leather. I did use it once to stabilize a handle on a Case Q-knife I gave my brother. He wanted it for display, and I had a nice-looking knife but one with some brittle leather. Super glue stabilized and strengthened the handle enough that the original handle could be retained.

Plus, not even a drivey GSD pup will chew on a leather handle sealed with super glue.
Paladin 51

Post by Paladin 51 »

I remember reading about a process where you soak leather wahers in water, then put on knife and compress till dry, then take off and reassemble with glue. To compress i saw where they took a 2 x 4 and cut a slit for knife tip. Drilled holes on both sides and inserted all thread with nuts in bottom. Insert knife in slit, add wet washers till full, then put a piece of material with 3 holes drilled in in. Middle hole over tang and outside 2 holes slip over all thread and tighten with nuts on all thread. I also believed they used epoxy when reassembling and use jig again to tighten glue. Hope i made this so you could get a picture of what i am talking about.
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Thanks for the suggestion. As I indicated I bought several sets of washers on ebay that are cut or were cut from the original dies used at Camillus for several of their fighting knives. I cant validate but the guy is real nice and no reason to fib. Guess he bought them at auction. Any rate its the correct number of leather and fiber washers per handle. (had to buy the fiber ones separate but only like 4 bucks).

So with what Paladin said and your comments I will be able to see if I even need to compress and IF I do then here is a technique that would work for me if needed.

Appreciate it very much and will be working on it soon.

For all the handles I have and as soon as I get them I use Saddle oil. I used to have 3 horses and all the tack. I dont use Neatsfoot as it has glycerin in it or saddle soap, but there is a product that just says leather oil. I assume is just the natural oils extracted from cattle and in some case horse hides - but thats my guess. Anyway I let them soak for several hours or overnight upright in a water glass and boy they suck up the oil. I dont think it will hurt and am hoping that it will refill the cell structure with some needed fluids. It does tend to swell up some loose fits and many cases the wobble goes away nicely.

Appreciate everyone's input and will post a final picture or at least let you know how it comes out.

Mike

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”