Camillus TL-29 restoration

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Ribbit

Camillus TL-29 restoration

Post by Ribbit »

How best to clean/restore these black handles?
Attachments
IMG_0237.JPG
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus TL-29 restoration

Post by muskrat man »

try rubbing them down with #0000 steel wool, then buffing them out by hand with your favorite metal paste, flitz or semichrome. It looks like surface oxidation which should be easy to remove
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

You might try wiping them down with Armor All. ::shrug::
It works on some handles.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Thanks fellers!
I'll report back on what I find out...
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Good ole fashion WD40 works great as a cleaner for me.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Using just WD40, this 25OT when from this...
IMAG0324.jpg
To this... just used WD40.
IMAG0653.jpg
TennesseeTime

Post by TennesseeTime »

Curious, are those covers made of some type of plastic? Or are they painted/enameled metal? If they're coated I'd be extremely careful because you're dealing with what amounts to old paint which can be removed if you're too aggressive or use the wrong chemicals on it.

If on the other hand they're some type of synthetic they may actually polish out. I am working on an old Schrade Uncle Henry presently which has a cover material known as "Staglon"...It is some type of synthetic material made to look like antler. These covers were dull and lifeless (almost "chalky" feeling) and I tried several less aggressive methods of bringing them back - Armor All, plastic polishing by hand, Brill-O type cleaning pads, etc. Nothing worked...

What finally removed the dullness and brought them to life was a process I use to remove scratches from acrylic watch crystals - They make a polishing compound under different trade names -mine is called Crystal Kleer. Using that with a good clean buff on a Baldor polishing motor, I was able to restore a nice finish to these covers. ****NOTE****: My polishing motor is a single speed (higher RPM), but if you don't have much experience polishing at higher speeds, I'd find a jeweler who has one with a dual speed setting and use lower RPMs as it will be just as effective, letting the compound do the work for you, and the lower RPMs will make it harder to accidentally "burn" the material by polishing too aggressively. I've got years of experience running my higher speed polisher and was able to still use it because I know exactly how much pressure to apply..Just be careful if using a high speed polisher.... Warnings aside, this process brought these synthetic stag covers out beautifully.

Good Luck !
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

All the suggestions above a great, so I won't try to top them. But I will add one .... blue jean denim ! Whenever I cut off a pair of Levis for shorts, I save the legs and cut out strips I can use to buff with. And on plastic handled knives like that, the denim will build up some heat, which in turn helps the buffing process.

That there is yer redneck tip of da week ! ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

TennesseeTime wrote:Curious, are those covers made of some type of plastic? Or are they painted/enameled metal? If they're coated I'd be extremely careful because you're dealing with what amounts to old paint which can be removed if you're too aggressive or use the wrong chemicals on it.

If on the other hand they're some type of synthetic they may actually polish out. I am working on an old Schrade Uncle Henry presently which has a cover material known as "Staglon"...It is some type of synthetic material made to look like antler. These covers were dull and lifeless (almost "chalky" feeling) and I tried several less aggressive methods of bringing them back - Armor All, plastic polishing by hand, Brill-O type cleaning pads, etc. Nothing worked...

What finally removed the dullness and brought them to life was a process I use to remove scratches from acrylic watch crystals - They make a polishing compound under different trade names -mine is called Crystal Kleer. Using that with a good clean buff on a Baldor polishing motor, I was able to restore a nice finish to these covers. ****NOTE****: My polishing motor is a single speed (higher RPM), but if you don't have much experience polishing at higher speeds, I'd find a jeweler who has one with a dual speed setting and use lower RPMs as it will be just as effective, letting the compound do the work for you, and the lower RPMs will make it harder to accidentally "burn" the material by polishing too aggressively. I've got years of experience running my higher speed polisher and was able to still use it because I know exactly how much pressure to apply..Just be careful if using a high speed polisher.... Warnings aside, this process brought these synthetic stag covers out beautifully.

Good Luck !

the handles are delrin much like staglon or the sawcut old timer delrin posted earlier
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Toejammer wrote:All the suggestions above a great, so I won't try to top them. But I will add one .... blue jean denim ! Whenever I cut off a pair of Levis for shorts, I save the legs and cut out strips I can use to buff with. And on plastic handled knives like that, the denim will build up some heat, which in turn helps the buffing process.

That there is yer redneck tip of da week ! ::tu::
I use denim strips to shoeshine stacked leather handles, puts nice shine on them without the risk of discoloring them from buffing compounds. cotton canvas works too
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I got some denim.....good tips fellas. Thanks!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”