Mineral oil

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
zp4ja

Re: Mineral oil

Post by zp4ja »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Wax seals the SURFACE of the stag. Apply it with a soft brush-to get in all the cracks, and use a shoe brush to polish it off.

Certainly, a little bit of oil won't hurt handles. But, I can bet that anyone here who works on knives has seen stag that has been softened and discolored by excess oil. It's impossible to oil a knife and not get some oil on the handles, but over-oiling or actually soaking in oil is bad for handles.

A light coat of oil is always good for steel parts.
Bill,

Thanks much for the detailed response as to my inquiry/question. I will have to try that and maybe a light lemon oil treatment on some separate knives and compare results. I have a few really expensive stags that I prefer to find out on lesser value knives first.
Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Where do you buy lemon oil?
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
just bob

Post by just bob »

I found some here at Menard's in the wood working section near the Minwax products
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thanks Bob
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”